Telly too loud for the neighbours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just acquired new neighbours and they’ve just been round complaining that the telly is too loud.

I’ve turned it down, no problem. However, I’ve got a 5.1 set up with a big subwoofer, and the whole point is to have it loud. Movie
DVDs seem to be mixed with the sub especially loud for that vibrating the seat cinema experience.
I normally turn it down after 9pm, so what do I do. Have it permanently quiet now just to keep him happy?
:lol:

The front speakers are set to +10 and the subs anywhere between 0 and -15, depending what’s on. I don’t have the problem with Sky, just DVDs.

You’re gonna love this - i’m actually allaergic to dust. Makes me go asthmatic and my eyes blister. But it’s fine when it’s undisturbed. It only affects me when it’s in the air e.g. from dusting. :lol: Hence it’s safer just to leave it.
Jesus wept man :lol:

depends what time of the day it is. know the law says 11pm but in the real world, if someone was drilling holes into an adjoining wall any time after about 8pm, and it went on for more than 20 minutes or so, you'd have a right to be pissed off.

not sure why anyone needs the sound on a movie so loud in the house that the base vibrates the furniture. its ridiculous. just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

or alternatively, go round and say to them we are having movie night tonight, if its too loud then let me know. at least if next door know that you are aware of their presence, and that its not going to be all night, they will have more tolerance.

generally, just be an adult
:lol:

But as has been said earlier in the thread, surely before a certain time is ok? What about diy obsessives, barking dogs or the aforementioned drum kit?

Have you popped next door to see how loud it is from their side ?

It doesn’t matter what time it is tbh , they can complain to environmental health or your landlord etc if it’s causing them issues.

Can you not move the TV to other side of the room to see if that helps it - opportunity to hoover while you’re at it

It’s not at a volume I’d say was loud. But it’s the sub that’s the problem. It vibrates the room when it’s set to minus 10. Watching things like Star Wars, Star Destroyers flying past make your fillings rattles. But if you turn it down, you can’t hear the dialogue.

Haven't read whole thread but can you not just lower the bass via the sound settings on the TV?

Same thing really.Best to put yourself in your neighbours' shoes and how you would feel.DIY is generally done rarely.

Best to communicate with the neighbours, however hard that may be.
This. When we had our flat, there was a lass upstairs with two young kids. It was obvious that our lifestyle and hers may not be compatible as we would be out on a weekend, coming in pissed and probably having mates back.
We spoke to her and she said that she wouldn't complain if we came in making a racket but she would get the bairns up early the next day and let them run riot upstairs.
She was true to her word and we deserved it. We got on great although Saturday mornings were always a struggle.:lol:

I can hear next door's telly sometimes and I worry that he can hear mine. My sub woofer is on a stand rather than the floor and I never have it on really loud (I hope). When I saw the size of Herbal's speaker I realised that I have nowt to worry about.:lol:

I’ve just acquired new neighbours and they’ve just been round complaining that the telly is too loud.

I’ve turned it down, no problem. However, I’ve got a 5.1 set up with a big subwoofer, and the whole point is to have it loud. Movie
DVDs seem to be mixed with the sub especially loud for that vibrating the seat cinema experience.
I normally turn it down after 9pm, so what do I do. Have it permanently quiet now just to keep him happy?
turn it down FFS , you sound like a nightmare neighbour

Most amps should have a 'night setting' which reduces the dynamic range and all that bollocks so you can hear the dialogue more audibly while the explosions etc are reigned in a bit.

When I moved I soundproofed the party wall, ceiling, the lot so I can blast my system without next door thinking I'm an absolute arsehole.

Reactions: Sid
@Dave Herbal I know you've got an inappropriate cinema set up in your dungeon, but have you considered hooking up some brilliant wireless headphones instead?
No bother from anyone that way
As I’ve said about 3 times now, it’s for family viewing, so that’s not an option. Besides, what’s that he point of buying all the kit then using headphones?
Besides which, if I’m watching anything on my own, I’ve got the PlayStation on the headphones.

As I’ve said about 3 times now, it’s for family viewing, so that’s not an option. Besides, what’s that he point of buying all the kit then using headphones?
Besides which, if I’m watching anything on my own, I’ve got the PlayStation on the headphones.

It's just about being considerate to neighbours if you live in a semi/attached house.

If you want to have things full pelt you need to sound proof your room or something.

Best is to put it on what you deem acceptable and go next door and have a listen, then you will appreciate where they are coming from I suppose? Or tell if they are moaning over nothing..

From what you have described though I expect they will be sat next door thinking there are some sort of aftershocks from an earthquake!? :lol:

Well that's all well and good, but so long as you don't blast our your neighbours. That's a bit rude. Especially if you're watching blart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back