Telly Package advice

toxic tracksuit

Central Defender
Currently got Virgin Media TV + broadband. It has Netflix capability but piss slow so Ive never set up an account. Ive heard of firesticks, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sky Q, Now TV, Freeview, bla bla bla, but I'm quite clueless when it comes to such things. We are going to get a new BigTelly so looking for advice on

i) Telly / speakers / soundbars (55" >)
ii) telly and broadband packages & providers, including on demand type stuff which I have yet to embrace. We are connected to fibre.
iii) Able to cover the whole house (3 floors) so we can use on other tellies / devices

I know we have experts in such matters on here so would appreciate your advice

I have Virgin basic tv and 200mb internet. I pay for Netflix and also have access to Amazon prime through a friend’s account. I occasionally steal films off the internet (thank you pirate bay). This, along with all the catch-up channels, provides us with more telly than we could ever hope to watch. Virgin costs about £50, but I could probably renegotiate and get a few quid off. Netflix is the 4K version which costs £10 a month, but 4 people can watch it at the same time, so both kids have it in their bedrooms and my mum and dad also have access. Netflix, Prime and all the catch-up stuff come as apps on the smart tv, so if your new tv is a smart one (probably is these days) you really don’t need anything else to plug into it.

There’s other options such as iptv which gives you all the sky channels and stuff for a yearly payment of around £75-£150 depending on who you use (Facebook has a number of providers), but it’s deffo dodgy, a bit ugly to navigate and you’ve no real comeback if the provider pulls the plug, but it’s normally ok. Again, most smart TVs have an app to use for this. Personally I’ve thought about getting it, even done a 24 hour trial, but it just wasn’t worth it with all the other stuff I’ve got. Netflix alone could take up all my time if I let it.

Currently got Virgin Media TV + broadband. It has Netflix capability but piss slow so Ive never set up an account. Ive heard of firesticks, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sky Q, Now TV, Freeview, bla bla bla, but I'm quite clueless when it comes to such things. We are going to get a new BigTelly so looking for advice on

ii) telly and broadband packages & providers, including on demand type stuff which I have yet to embrace. We are connected to fibre.
iii) Able to cover the whole house (3 floors) so we can use on other tellies / devices

How is it slow....old box?
Mine is no bother.....same for i-player you tube etc.

Im guessing youve got the box i have
Logon or register to see this image

Its useless. Any new tv tv will come with netflix and YouTube built in and they're way better than the same apps on the above. Best give them a bell and get it upgraded, maybes threaten to leave until they give you one for free (new customers get them). As for content its what you want to pay for really. Im happy with netflix but also pay for IPTV and still watch movies the old fashioned way of downloading them first. Choice of tv comes down to budget. Id have a look on richersounds and if you watch a lot of movies i'd recommended at least a soundbar

Im guessing youve got the box i have
Logon or register to see this image

Its useless. Any new tv tv will come with netflix and YouTube built in and they're way better than the same apps on the above. Best give them a bell and get it upgraded, maybes threaten to leave until they give you one for free (new customers get them). As for content its what you want to pay for really. Im happy with netflix but also pay for IPTV and still watch movies the old fashioned way of downloading them first. Choice of tv comes down to budget. Id have a look on richersounds and if you watch a lot of movies i'd recommended at least a soundbar
Aye, that's it.

I have Virgin basic tv and 200mb internet. I pay for Netflix and also have access to Amazon prime through a friend’s account. I occasionally steal films off the internet (thank you pirate bay). This, along with all the catch-up channels, provides us with more telly than we could ever hope to watch. Virgin costs about £50, but I could probably renegotiate and get a few quid off. Netflix is the 4K version which costs £10 a month, but 4 people can watch it at the same time, so both kids have it in their bedrooms and my mum and dad also have access. Netflix, Prime and all the catch-up stuff come as apps on the smart tv, so if your new tv is a smart one (probably is these days) you really don’t need anything else to plug into it.

There’s other options such as iptv which gives you all the sky channels and stuff for a yearly payment of around £75-£150 depending on who you use (Facebook has a number of providers), but it’s deffo dodgy, a bit ugly to navigate and you’ve no real comeback if the provider pulls the plug, but it’s normally ok. Again, most smart TVs have an app to use for this. Personally I’ve thought about getting it, even done a 24 hour trial, but it just wasn’t worth it with all the other stuff I’ve got. Netflix alone could take up all my time if I let it.
Thanks for the info, but I'm more confused now! I guess I'm looking for a single point provider which will give me everything in a simple package.

If you buy a curved TV, I'll come round your house and shit in your dishwasher.

Ahhh no, it will be flat.

How about pissing in my kettle instead?

If your budget stretches go for an LG OLED TV.
Telly budget, probs £1500 but that's just based on what I think they cost. Have seen process from £600 - £3000 for seemingly the same thing (which I'm sure they're not)

Last edited:
Aye, that's it.

Thanks for the info, but I'm more confused now! I guess I'm looking for a single point provider which will give me everything in a simple package.

Ahhh no, it will be flat.

How about pissing in my kettle instead?

Telly budget, probs £1500 but that's just based on what I think they cost. Have seen process from £600 - £3000 for seemingly the same thing (which I'm sure they're not)
Okay so its either quantity or quality

For £1500 you can get this 55" oled

Lg Oled55b8s

For the same price or even £200+ less you'll get a bigger tv but it wont be as good (still be 4k hdr which is good enough in my opinion)

Hise 75nec6700uk

For £1500 you can get this years model LG OLED.
or
for £1200 you can get last years LG OLED55B7.

I've got the B7 and it is an excellent TV

£490 LG 49” smart TV, pay £9.99 a month Netflix and have a login for Amazon Prime.

That’s the only TV viewing I need, Kodi is not worth the arse on IMO, painful and absolute shite quality on a lot of the films. Not arsed about watching sport on TV, have a season ticket for Sunderland home games which is enough for me.

I’m not sure how people can justify £1000’s on TV’s and Virgin or Sky packages, simply not worth it for me.

I remember going to a pals house who had spent £2000 on a TV and about £1000 on a sound system to go with it, he made me sit in the chair right in front of it and played some film....I think he thought I was going to be blown away...was all a bit meh, and honestly not noticeably better than my setup at a fraction of the cost.

Maybes my failing sight and hearing is at fault?

good time to buy a tv, with black friday coming, keep a a eye at hotukdeals

(BLACK FRIDAY PROMO) Hisense H65AE6100UK 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV (2018) £579 / Hisense H50AE6100UK 50" £329 @ AMAZON - HotUKDeals

Are Hisense any good? Is LG or Samsung worth the extra ~£1000?

haven't got / had one, but in europe they get good reviews, its the yanks that don't like

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-Hisense-TV-any-good

check out

Hisense TVs Forum

go into curry's and check out hisense, take print out of amazons page/price and haggle. I'm not shy tho, I took a hard drive full of 4k dodgy movies and asked sales lad if i could plug in a few TV's, his face when i started going thru 4k movies and testing tv's :eek::eek::D

Last edited:

Back