Telescope folk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcal

Striker
Dug mine out today - clear sky, no moon, Jupiter looking bright. Only the 4th time I've been able to get it out since I got it a year ago and found that my tripod is broken. It's a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ - I know it's not the best, but decent enough for a complete novice. However, its' got a 3 flimsy plastic supports between the legs and one of them has snapped. Any ideas where I could go looking for a replacement part, or would it be worth getting a replacement tripod (which would need to be cheap and I'd only need the base, not the mounts etc.)?

Also, when I did last use it I got fairly frustrated because I spent 40 minutes before I found Jupiter, changed the eyepiece and then spent another 20 minutes looking for it before giving up. I found the red dot finder useless, is it worth getting a Telrad finder?

Cheers in advance...

Assuming it's the same mount they still sell it with, you should be able to get the replacement part no probs from a Celestron dealer.

http://www.celestron.uk.com/dealers.php

The red dot finder should be OK. I use a cheap shit one to align a telescope for CCD imaging. Is it aligned to the view through the telescope? If not, do this during the day - wave the telescope around till it points at a distant object like a chimney or pylon, then use the placky knobs on the red dot finder to point the dot at the same object.

Can't help but say this title in a Hull accent

telescurp furk

Cheers, I'll give them a call in the morning.

With regards the red dot finder, it's probably as much down to me being useless with it than anything else. I spent some time aligning it so that a chimney in the finder was what I could see in the telescope. When I looked back into the finder the chimney had moved. I know that some people have chosen to change the finder on my scope, wondered what others might recommend.

Last edited:
Cheers, I'll give them a call in the morning.

With regards the red dot finder, it's probably as much down to me being useless with it than anything else. I spent some time aligning it so that a chimney in the finder was what I could see in the telescope. When I looked back into the finder the chimney had moved. I know that some people have chosen to change the finder on my scope, wondered what others might recommend.

The telrad is superb, but it's the size of a hosue brick. You should be able to get something a better than the stock RDF but still fits the mounting shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back