Technical question about email and excel

I’m interested as to how this works:

I sent an excel spreadsheet attachment from an outlook account at work to a bt email account.

I logged into the bt account on my phone, opened the email and downloaded the excel attachment to read it.

Isn’t it marvellous? Is the excel file on the cloud somewhere or is it on my iPhone? And how does the excel application open the file?

I sent an excel spreadsheet attachment from an outlook account at work to a bt email account.

I logged into the bt account on my phone, opened the email and downloaded the excel attachment to read it.

Isn’t it marvellous? Is the excel file on the cloud somewhere or is it on my iPhone? And how does the excel application open the file?

Why didn't you just use a Googledocs Spreadsheet and share it with them instead of emailing the entire file?

If by cloud you mean your mail server then aye. Your phone will download the spreadsheet and open it in excel.

Logon or register to see this image

It must have some kind of other Office type software. Not familiar with Apple though so I don't know.
Ok thanks

Your nanna knows more about it than you do!

Apparently you don’t need anything installed if you just view an excel file.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4406877

You can open/view the Excel spreadsheet received as an email attachment from within the received email without having to use anything. If you want to edit the spreadsheet and save the edit, you need an app such as Apple's Numbers app.

Last edited:

Back