Tech Help - Router / Modem

Mike J

Winger
I’ve got plus net broadband and the supplied router (BT homehub) is crap, does anybody have any suggestions for a decent router modem? Or indeed just a modem as I have a very good ASUS router but it doesn’t have a modem. I’ve thought about putting the homehub in modem only mode (not sure if it’s possible) but I assume it would still be rubbish as just a modem.

Any help would be champion.

Homehub should be absolutely fine as a modem. Connect a decent ethernet cable to your router's WAN port, and run your network off that.

Homehub should be absolutely fine as a modem. Connect a decent ethernet cable to your router's WAN port, and run your network off that.

Do I need to do anything to turn it into modem only mode? The issue is the homehub keeps dropping out! I do have some wifi discs to great a mesh as I’m struggling for signal as well.

Or I do have a linksys router modem I could use to go to the ASUS router?

Last edited:
Don't have a BT Homehub to test this on, but apparently you can get it into modem only mode like this:
(notice that your not supposed to be able to do this on the home versions, the link has been removed in step 4, but the option is still there if you change the address as described)
  1. Log into your hubs admin page (192.168.1.254 by default)
  2. Click through to the Advanced section & enter your admin password from the back of the hub
  3. From here, click through to the Internet page
  4. This is where you enable hub mode on the routing page.. only, there's no link to it. Instead, just change the last part of the address from /internet to /routing
  5. there's a nice switch labelled Bridge Mode you can enable from there.

Last edited:
I’ve got plus net broadband and the supplied router (BT homehub) is crap, does anybody have any suggestions for a decent router modem? Or indeed just a modem as I have a very good ASUS router but it doesn’t have a modem. I’ve thought about putting the homehub in modem only mode (not sure if it’s possible) but I assume it would still be rubbish as just a modem.

Any help would be champion.

Not completely possible to run the BT kit as modem only, something like this would be a good solid modem NETGEAR High-Speed Broadband DSL Modem (VDSL ADSL) - Compatible with BT, Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk, Vodafone etc (DM200-100EUS)

Or if you want mow control to try and get every bit of speed out of your line, something like this: DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem
Don't have a BT Homehub to test this on, but apparently you can get it into modem only mode like this:
(notice that your not supposed to be able to do this on the home versions, the link has been removed in step 4, but the option is still there if you change the address as described)
  1. Log into your hubs admin page (192.168.1.254 by default)
  2. Click through to the Advanced section & enter your admin password from the back of the hub
  3. From here, click through to the Internet page
  4. This is where you enable hub mode on the routing page.. only, there's no link to it. Instead, just change the last part of the address from /internet to /routing
  5. there's a nice switch labelled Bridge Mode you can enable from there.

This does still work, unless it's very recently been closed.

Edit. Nope, still works on the latest Business smart hub as well.

Last edited:
Out of interest, if you turn the wireless off, and don't connect anything to the ethernet ports other than the cable to the WAN port on your "other" router, how is that any different to actually configuring it as a modem-only?

Out of interest, if you turn the wireless off, and don't connect anything to the ethernet ports other than the cable to the WAN port on your "other" router, how is that any different to actually configuring it as a modem-only?

It basically is no different for most uses.

I've always found the wireless in BTHH's decent but the modems a bit shit - so if I was the OP I would grab another modem as planned.

Not completely possible to run the BT kit as modem only, something like this would be a good solid modem NETGEAR High-Speed Broadband DSL Modem (VDSL ADSL) - Compatible with BT, Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk, Vodafone etc (DM200-100EUS)

Or if you want mow control to try and get every bit of speed out of your line, something like this: DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem

This does still work, unless it's very recently been closed.

Edit. Nope, still works on the latest Business smart hub as well.

cheers, having read up on the home hub I’m not going to bother with that route, I have a linksys XC 6200 that seems pretty easy to use as just a modem then I’ll use this

I’m trying to avoid buying anything and as I have both of these I think it’s worth a try

my other option is to use the linksys Router and then attach

Last edited:
Mike. I have an BT modem supplied to me when I first had FTTC broadband. I have replaced it with a Zyxel router modem. You can have it for the cosy of postage of you want

Without turning off the routing in the homehub you will end up with a double NAT scenario, which can be a bit shit. Applications that use uPNP to open up your router won't be able to access the 2nd router in the chain & will end up being blocked off from the internet.

Other than that & a bit extra latency when gaming, it's basically the same.

Mike. I have an BT modem supplied to me when I first had FTTC broadband. I have replaced it with a Zyxel router modem. You can have it for the cosy of postage of you want

Cheers for the offer, very kind indeed, let me try this linksys one first, I have plenty of equipment, just trying to work out the best configuration to solve my broadband issues.

thanks again for the offer, but I think using the linksys as a modem and then connecting the ASUS router I have solved the problem.

Last edited:

Back