Team v oxford

Burge
Willis Wright Xhemajli
Diamond Scowen Onien Hume
Maguire Grigg OBrien

Matthews Flanagan Power Neil Graham Gooch Embleton if hes fit

For me the most ridiculous thing is playing a holding midfielder in a 3-5-2. The whole point of 3 at the back is that it gives you an extra man to cover, why do you then need yet another covering player? Most teams would play with a more advanced midfielder rather than have one drop deeper.

The next thing is chris maguire as a centre midfielder. He's gone missing in both games he's played that role which I thought was odd given I assumed he was meant to be playing as a 10 in a 3-4-1-2 and thought that would suit him to he ground. Makes sense why he's been so anonymous, if he's being asked to defend as part of a midfield three. Doesnt know what he's doing.
It's not entirely wrong, if you don't trust your wing backs to backtrack 100% or are playing a quick counter attacking team. The 3 CBs give you wider cover if there is a quick transition against you, if your wing backs are very attacking which is often the point in the 5 midfield, having a holding midfielder as one of the centre 3 midfielders does make some sense so you aren't caught out.

PP saying today grant Leadbutter training well and played in deep role all career. When mention scowen he said he saw him as replacement for maguire!!! Wtf

chris maguire has more league goals for sunderland than scowen has in his career. that's frightening how clueless he is
For me the most ridiculous thing is playing a holding midfielder in a 3-5-2. The whole point of 3 at the back is that it gives you an extra man to cover, why do you then need yet another covering player? Most teams would play with a more advanced midfielder rather than have one drop deeper.

we used to play 5 at the back and still have two holding midfields so i guess we're slightly more adventurous than we used to be

Last edited:
________Patterson_________
___Willis_Wright_Xhemajli__
_O'Nien_Neil_Scowen_Hume_
_Diamond_Graham_Maguire_

Last edited:
Formation is a joke imo. It's complicated and hard to make work but easy to defend against. Over reliance on width creating the space to get at sides. Stop the width and we're pretty much redundant in a creative sense.
Correct. Our only attacking routes are an overlap with Hume on the left or a similar tactic with Onien down the right. Stifle that and we resort to hoofball which Grigg as a lone striker will not thrive on. Simply put we need more down the middle

Fuck it!

........................... Burge.............................

...... Willis............ Wright........ Xhemajli..........

O'Nien........Scowen..............Power.......... Hume

........................... Neil

...................Graham.....Grigg

The new G-Force, what’s not to like? PS

Although I’d love to see Dan Neil play there, no doubt we’ll see Maguire in there.

Last edited:
However the situation pans out going forward Flanagan was our best defender last week and deserves a start. I’d definitely start Graham and Scowen. Sounds like Leadbitter will be in ahead of Scowen though. Maguire keeps smashing the goals in but I am a fan of Gooch with his bursts pace and energy.

If he continues with 3-4-1-2 which he will unfortunately, I hope he goes with

........................... Burge.............................

...... Willis............ Wright........ Xhamalji....

Gooch.......... Scowen... Dobson...... Hume

................................maguire......................

................... Graham...........O'Brien............

I think personally that gooch will give us more going forward than o'nien and Grigg just isn't doing it so Graham might be able to hold it up better and create space for others. This would be my team
Better line up that but power for dobson for me, even when dobson is available again .
Said it for 18 month now about gooch playing attacking wing back.

If he wants to play with someone sitting in front of the defence why not go 433? Maguire & Gooch in the front 3 were the best thing about our side last season. Ok they were inconsistent but aren't all wide players? Their lack of competition & not having another option on the bench was one of our downfalls imo. But now with O'Brien, Diamond plus Hawks, Steels & Wearne there's decent options in those wide forward areas but he's decided to do away with them in the system! Baffling absolutely baffling. Love to see something like this;

Burge
Willis Wright Xhemajli Hume
Power/Leadbitter
Scowen Neil
Maguire Graham Gooch

Matthews
McLaughlin Feeney Flanagan ?
Dobson
O'Nien Embleton
O'Brien Grigg/wyke Diamond
Still need a left back

Last edited: