Team v oxford

I see what your saying but it's still ridiculous. What next Jeff whitley on the right wing based on a preseason game ;)
For me the most ridiculous thing is playing a holding midfielder in a 3-5-2. The whole point of 3 at the back is that it gives you an extra man to cover, why do you then need yet another covering player? Most teams would play with a more advanced midfielder rather than have one drop deeper.

The next thing is chris maguire as a centre midfielder. He's gone missing in both games he's played that role which I thought was odd given I assumed he was meant to be playing as a 10 in a 3-4-1-2 and thought that would suit him to he ground. Makes sense why he's been so anonymous, if he's being asked to defend as part of a midfield three. Doesnt know what he's doing.

Patterson
Diamond - Willis - Wright - Hume
Mcgeady - Neill - Scowen - Gooch
Grigg - O'Brien

Subs - Burge - O'Nien - Maguire - Xhemajli - Embleton .... and two others we haven't signed yet

For me the most ridiculous thing is playing a holding midfielder in a 3-5-2. The whole point of 3 at the back is that it gives you an extra man to cover, why do you then need yet another covering player? Most teams would play with a more advanced midfielder rather than have one drop deeper.

The next thing is chris maguire as a centre midfielder. He's gone missing in both games he's played that role which I thought was odd given I assumed he was meant to be playing as a 10 in a 3-4-1-2 and thought that would suit him to he ground. Makes sense why he's been so anonymous, if he's being asked to defend as part of a midfield three. Doesnt know what he's doing.
I've just said very similar on a different thread. Promised myself i wouldn't get upset by PP's selections this season & just get behind him, figured he'd stick rigidly to 343 and choosing 1 player over another would be splitting hairs but fuck me he's lost the plot hasn't he?!

I've just said very similar on a different thread. Promised myself i wouldn't get upset by PP's selections this season & just get behind him, figured he'd stick rigidly to 343 and choosing 1 player over another would be splitting hairs but fuck me he's lost the plot hasn't he?!
It’s what I’ve been saying in the Dobson / Scowen debate. Whoever plays in that role is being set up to fail. Changing the player who plays it won’t matter a jot.

It’s what I’ve been saying in the Dobson / Scowen debate. Whoever plays in that role is being set up to fail. Changing the player who plays it won’t matter a jot.
Totally agree. I don't mind Dobson he is what he is, when we played well last season him and Power pressed us high up the pitch but now he's got one or the other sat deep the forwards are going to be more isolated than ever

The next thing is chris maguire as a centre midfielder...
I think the problem with the current 3-5-2 is Maguire wants to play that 10 role in a 3-4-1-2 so he gets forward and doesn't track back. That coupled with Dobson playing a holding role we've got an incredibly narrow centre midfield. Almost set up like this:
Dobson
Power
Maguire​
I can see why Parky wants a deeper CM for cover with Willis overlapping (and possibly Xhemjli) but really hes being way to cautious in my opinion. Having 3 CMs with one holding means the other two should both be playing further forward but track back. As it is Maguire wants to be forward and doesnt track back, Power who does track back adequatly but is being told to get forward and Dobson being told to stay back just leaves the whole centre mid unbalanced and narrow as fuck. I think it's more the wrong formation for the players than the players being shit.

I think the problem with the current 3-5-2 is Maguire wants to play that 10 role in a 3-4-1-2 so he gets forward and doesn't track back. That coupled with Dobson playing a holding role we've got an incredibly narrow centre midfield. Almost set up like this:
Dobson
Power
Maguire​
I can see why Parky wants a deeper CM for cover with Willis overlapping (and possibly Xhemjli) but really hes being way to cautious in my opinion. Having 3 CMs with one holding means the other two should both be playing further forward but track back. As it is Maguire wants to be forward and doesnt track back, Power who does track back adequatly but is being told to get forward and Dobson being told to stay back just leaves the whole centre mid unbalanced and narrow as fuck. I think it's more the wrong formation for the players than the players being shit.
Absolutely. The squad is fine quality wise but there’s two issues in my opinion. The first is, as you say, the formation doesn’t suit the players he’s picking and means some of our best players from last year are out of position or out of the team altogether.

The second is that despite having a decent side we’re still missing some creativity and pace to hurt teams who are sitting back to defend a lead.

Back