Teacher's end of year gifts

I'm thinking of getting a dictionary for the daughter's English teacher.

The delightful teacher may then learn that the word pacifically doesn't mean the same thing as specifically

Got the daughters teacher a bottle of prosecco. I know from teacher friends they charity shop half the tat they get. At least she can drink the plonk.

Sons school (different school) sent a letter home saying they are trying to avoid poverty from peer pressure and do not give gifts. Good idea.

Another pile of bollocks alongside end of year proms.

Mr Gilbert on the Inbetweeners had the right idea
He’s a class character.

Perhaps though there is a happy medium between your two extremes: where the teachers care and schools are left to provide an education rather than a government sponsored training course?

Its a strange one to me. If you are doing your job, you get paid, why get extra? Same with staff awards at our place. Never understood it

If teaching jobs are actually paid pro rata, does that mean that the starting salary is actually considerably lower than the £23720 minimum that’s advertised for new teachers?

We're skint as fuck at the moment but I've got the teachers and TAs a small something because, bar one of them who we're had a right crappy year with, they are bloody amazing and work incredibly hard (one kid is away on a residential with the school tonight which all the staff have given up their time to go on). Trouble is with the fact that we have a lot of job share teams and one kid has multiple different TAs doing interventions with them - it's a lot to buy for so it's only a little token gift really.

I did take in goodies to say a general thank you to them all after they'd been through an absolutely awful Ofsted inspection earlier in the year (the result was good but the inspector was absolutely awful) and I do tell them regularly they're bloody amazing - so I think they know I appreciate them! I wouldn't do it if they weren't genuinely absolutely superb at what they do - and I've been in and out of lessons for various things so I know how good they are and it really is an amazing team at this school they've got going (I actually moved my kids away from another school which was shit with teachers doing the bare minimum and not giving a shit)

If teaching jobs are actually paid pro rata, does that mean that the starting salary is actually considerably lower than the £23720 minimum that’s advertised for new teachers?

Teachers are not pro rata. They are contracted to receive the full salaried entitlement. TAs though are pro rata. The don't receive full pay. I don't know terms and conditions but last year or year before DCC changed Durham TAs to term time only.

I’ve just been told I’m in charge of buying daughter’s teacher her present. So that’s a £5 bottle of wine then.
I doubt son’s teachers are getting anything, as they all hate him .

Back