Teacher's end of year gifts

Can imagine this ending up as point scoring between jealous parents "our Jack got his teacher a kit kat and a lovely card", "Eeee, well that's nowt! Our Trish got her teacher a card plus a round the world cruise! So ner!"
My sister used to go to Durham High. Kids would bring in Spa day vouchers and weekends away completely mental.

Not with Durham county council. Contracts are until 31 August and 31 March.

But teaching assistants are term time with 13 weeks leave. A binman would be full time with 5/6 weeks leave. Hence the difference in pay. Teaching assistants can't work over the summer.
that's why the agreement in the green book, that recognised the work they done was of use to society (as with teachers) so they should not be penalised for working term time only. It was their pay and conditions.
however others with a green eye came out.

I reckon this year it will of cost us over £50 for presents ..... crazy
don't do it. teachers wont mind, some will be grateful and they wont hold a grudge. handmade thank you card will be more appreciated

we all got together and done a collection in the yard so the bairns teacher never ended up with 15 "best Teacher" key rings and 15 cups

we at one time had a cupboard full of mugs

Last edited:
Just like most jobs then. It’s a number divided by 12.

I’m not contracted from March to January, but I earn a fortune in February.
It's a number divided by 10.5 multiplied by 12. So not quite the same. The difference here I believe is that whilst the workers aren't contracted during the 6 weeks, they can't take up another role in that time without it being considered a second job.

Back