Teachers and workloads

I do have a lot of respect for teachers, but I'd suggest thinking long and hard if that was me. No one will ever wish they spent more time at work.

She loves the teaching aspect tho and comes in buzzing every night telling tales of what happened that day. Think of it like SAFC, we all f***ing hate the pain and the suffering but going to the match is such a high and part of life for some people they just put up with the heartache behind it all.

Doesn't make it right like, but it's a love hate scenario.

Nope. They wanted detailed differention plans for high, middle and low ability students. Plans which were tailored to each student. Plus the scheme of work was constantly changing as we didn't know what we were teaching too with the new syllabus.

Which no fucker looks at other than when you are being observed or some daft work scrutiny

Which no fucker looks at other than when you are being observed or some daft work scrutiny

Thats one of the things our lass takes fkn ages over, lesson plans and typing everything up. She can scribble notes on a bit of paper and know what and how the lessons are going to be in a few hours but the school has a policy that they all need typing up into this word document all nicely laid out and easy to read and handed in on Monday morning, which adds so much time onto everything. I don't think they even do anything with these. All just seems a waste of time when she can just let her creativity flow in the lesson and go off her notes and have outstanding lessons that way.

Thats one of the things our lass takes fkn ages over, lesson plans and typing everything up. She can scribble notes on a bit of paper and know what and how the lessons are going to be in a few hours but the school has a policy that they all need typing up into this word document all nicely laid out and easy to read and handed in on Monday morning, which adds so much time onto everything. I don't think they even do anything with these. All just seems a waste of time when she can just let her creativity flow in the lesson and go off her notes and have outstanding lessons that way.
She’s should be writing lesson plans unless she’s an NQT. Medium and long term plans are sufficient to plan from.

Even Ofsted now except this. I ended up in quite a heated debate with our HT before half term as he had another schools SLT come do a mocksted. One of the comments was staff didn’t write individual lesson plans or annotate all over the data sheets and target sheets.

My response was “for who’s benefit? Mine, the kids or evidence for Ofsted who won’t even ask to see planning files or lesson plans now”

SLT are responsible for a lot of the problems in workload.

A guy on here posted that the pupils are in sets with compatible levels.

I wish mine were. Putting them into mixed ability is idiotic. I’ve had instances where high attainers can’t learn because I’m busy trying to stop some orange faced little charvers to stop slinging books and glue sticks across the room. Enforcing discipline codes and detentions does nout and calling parents - most of them don’t care or take the kids side.

Apparently it affects their mental health when they find out they’re not in top set.

I wish mine were. Putting them into mixed ability is idiotic. I’ve had instances where high attainers can’t learn because I’m busy trying to stop some orange faced little charvers to stop slinging books and glue sticks across the room. Enforcing discipline codes and detentions does nout and calling parents - most of them don’t care or take the kids side.

Apparently it affects their mental health when they find out they’re not in top set.
You must work at my place. :lol:

I love the “ring their parents about their behaviour” comments with pastoral.

Aye because they are going to be soooooo supportive :lol:

That is nothing short of ludicrous. Who benefits from this? What is the purpose?

She loves the teaching aspect tho and comes in buzzing every night telling tales of what happened that day. Think of it like SAFC, we all f***ing hate the pain and the suffering but going to the match is such a high and part of life for some people they just put up with the heartache behind it all.

Doesn't make it right like, but it's a love hate scenario.
I get it, but still can't understand why anyone would put themselves through that much regularly.... Unless weekends were pretty much her own, rather than nearly one full day a week off.

I get up early and work pretty long hours, but generally switch off once home. Busier times I'll be working later/earlier, but try and keep time when the bairn is up on a weekend free for him. Times limited in the week, so try and do this as much as possible.

Absolutely. Waste of f***ing time and produced only as 'evidence'.

Aye mate

Evidence of bullshit ......

Can you pick that glue stick up

Not mine I didn’t drop it

And so it goes on .....

Last edited:
I think it's clear from the comments on here from actual teachers that it varies massively from school to school depending on who is leading the place. I've worked for bullies who were in it for themselves and their data rather than the whole child in the past but I've made difficult choices and taken risky moves elsewhere and now work for a head and SLT who are all about the kids and looking after the staff as a big part of that. Those leaving the profession are clearly working in settings that are part of the problem and supportive SMTs are in a minority unfortunately. Every single decision made in a school, from length of school day timings, play times, transitions between classes, lesson planning and delivery and the whole curriculum should be made with having a positive impact on children's learning at the forefront. Not set up for an outsider to criticise. Those worried about the dreaded Ofsted would see that in actual fact this would be reflected upon very favourably, particularly once it is embedded in the school ethos and the impact can be seen over time.

My advice for anyone really struggling with the workload, as in any job or career path, would be to make a very careful move elsewhere to another setting which fits your needs better (has to work for you too as well as the kids) before throwing in the towel. This might take a little time as competition is fierce but a passion for the kids should be enough to drive this decision and if that isn't there you're not in the right career.

Aye mate

And so it goes on .....

I had one kid who I caught on his phone. Blatantly not a care in the world. I told him to hand it over (school policy) and he refused. Then someone on the other side of the class shouted it was his little sidekick (sat next to the lad with the phone) who had his phone out. His little sidekick then admitted it was him, even though it wasn’t. I tried removing them from the classroom but they wouldn’t budge until the observing teacher moved them for me.

Another teacher then marked my books and I was criticised for the lack of learning that took place. I know it’s a learning experience but it is extremely disheartening when you sit and plan lessons for hours only for them to go to pot because of a few low strainers affecting the learning of everyone else. As a trainee it is so hard to stay on track when this happens.

You can ring home and the parents go “meh okay” - they’re over the moon they’re getting a one hour detention as the parents can sit at home and have another hour away from their kids.

I had one kid who I caught on his phone. Blatantly not a care in the world. I told him to hand it over (school policy) and he refused. Then someone on the other side of the class shouted it was his little sidekick (sat next to the lad with the phone) who had his phone out. His little sidekick then admitted it was him, even though it wasn’t. I tried removing them from the classroom but they wouldn’t budge until the observing teacher moved them for me.

Another teacher then marked my books and I was criticised for the lack of learning that took place. I know it’s a learning experience but it is extremely disheartening when you sit and plan lessons for hours only for them to go to pot because of a few low strainers affecting the learning of everyone else. As a trainee it is so hard to stay on track when this happens.

You can ring home and the parents go “meh okay” - they’re over the moon they’re getting a one hour detention as the parents can sit at home and have another hour away from their kids.

Had my fill of the little bastards I use to know what they were going to say before them

Getting old has a plus side :)

Aye mate

And so it goes on .....

Current party trick around these parts is to open the glue stick, turn it up to full, launch it at the ceiling and try to get it to stick up there to the roof. Dropping them on the floor would be bloody progress.

Also shredding laminated resources just to prove they can.

Current party trick around these parts is to open the glue stick, turn it up to full, launch it at the ceiling and try to get it to stick up there to the roof. Dropping them on the floor would be bloody progress.

Also shredding laminated resources just to prove they can.

Kids used to do that at Farra when I was at school

Back in 2005 my mate once launched one above old Mr Watson’s (woodwork) desk and it landed slap bang on his register as he was doing it. He looked around the class over the top of his glasses at every kid and me mate who did it had his head in his hands on the desk. He went “David?” and he lifted his head up to reveal a purple face with tears running down his face. He then said “do I even need to say anything?” And me mate got up and walked out holding his belly he was laughing that hard, ready for his bollocking.

Regarding glue sticks, I brought my own in and ended up glueing their stuff into their books myself as they couldn’t be trusted. Went through one glue stick in four hours marking three sets of books.

My biggest and most irritating pet hate is this

“So that’s your task. Is everyone clear about what they are doing? Hands up if you are? Hands up if you aren’t” .. “Steven are you clear?” “Yes sir” .. Sarah do you understand?” “Yes sir” “okay off you you go”

Thirty seconds later

Steven hasn’t made a start. I ask why.

“I don’t know what I’m doing sir”

“Me neither” shouts out half the class

Even though everything is on the whiteboard, resources are distributed and even the page numbers if they need textbooks for help are there.

Oh now way cant be doing that. It would involve Trust and empowerment. Your lass would then have a good work / life balance and be happy in her work that would never do. Seen all this with my wife. She just refused to do it in the end but it still bugged her all day Sunday that she should have been doing it so essentially it ruined her free time anyway. Working life really has a lot to answer for in modern life whatever most people do.

Back