TDF 2018 thread

Footage on Twitter shows that Nibali went down after his handlebar was snagged by a Dutch spectator's camera strap.

(To add insult to injury, it was a group of Dutchies dressed as Smurfs.)

I'm struggling to see where Froome / Thomas ditch Dumo in the remaining stages

40km after the final climb on Sunday - nope

10km after the final climb on Tuesday - a Froome banzai descent maybe?

that crazy stage on Wednesday - could shift him if they go full gas from the start

Friday - try a long one on the Tourmalet and then the Aubisque?

I'm struggling to see where Froome / Thomas ditch Dumo in the remaining stages

40km after the final climb on Sunday - nope

10km after the final climb on Tuesday - a Froome banzai descent maybe?

that crazy stage on Wednesday - could shift him if they go full gas from the start

Friday - try a long one on the Tourmalet and then the Aubisque?

It won't be on long or steady climbs I'd agree. It will be more likely on steeper ones or even the 65K stage.
The big question of course is whether either Froome or Dumoulin suddenly tire after Giro and how Thomas goes in the third week( massive unknown)

Normally you would favour Dumoulin in a TT but a third week one I'm not sure gaps would be big, especially given the course.

Set up nicely though

It won't be on long or steady climbs I'd agree. It will be more likely on steeper ones or even the 65K stage.
The big question of course is whether either Froome or Dumoulin suddenly tire after Giro and how Thomas goes in the third week( massive unknown)

Normally you would favour Dumoulin in a TT but a third week one I'm not sure gaps would be big, especially given the course.

Set up nicely though

yeah, if the status quo remains then i dont see Dumo putting nearly enough time into Thomas in the TT, Froome would be in trouble though

yeah, if the status quo remains then i dont see Dumo putting nearly enough time into Thomas in the TT, Froome would be in trouble though

Think the TT between Dumoulin and Froome will be close..
Decent old climb in the course and all about third week fatigue

Given the lack of gc contenders they'll attack Dumoulin and isolate him. The real question is whether Thomas or Froome will attack and have the other follow the wheel. Either way Tom D will be in trouble.

Given the lack of gc contenders they'll attack Dumoulin and isolate him. The real question is whether Thomas or Froome will attack and have the other follow the wheel. Either way Tom D will be in trouble.

The 65 k stage could be interesting....if Bernal is in the top 20 or so Sky might have three in the front pen.

Might of course be a damp squib at the start.
Think a few potential gaps on Saturday...short sharp climb to Mende ( 3k at 10% or so)

Think the TT between Dumoulin and Froome will be close..
Decent old climb in the course and all about third week fatigue

Sure they mentioned on the podcast that someone from one of the teams had said they were considering a bike change for the end of the TT so not a routine one for Dumoulin.

Nibali out now confirmed, massive shame after how hard he rode to get back on

Have Roglic at 100/1 e/w :cool:
Had Bardet v Nibali match bet so can't agree :D

Feel sorry (well as sorry as you can for Nibali) after a cracking effort yesterday.

Dumoulin hasn't been getting the credit he deserves on the big climbs for a couple of years now. Still can't see by Froome overall though

Sure they mentioned on the podcast that someone from one of the teams had said they were considering a bike change for the end of the TT so not a routine one for Dumoulin.

Climb doesn’t look that bad per the profile...must have planned it out though ( time to change bike v gains from road bike)
Just looked. 900 metres at 10.2% with sharp drop to follow.
Imo they would be mad to swap bikes

tour-de-france 2018 stage 20 profile

Wonder if a Prudhomme is referring to this fella

Chris Froome spat at and punched during Tour de France as Geraint Thomas retains Yellow Jersey

“Don’t whistle and, obviously, don’t touch the riders. Even if it’s just an over-friendly backslap.”

:lol:

Last edited:
The 65 k stage could be interesting....if Bernal is in the top 20 or so Sky might have three in the front pen.

Think a few potential gaps on Saturday...short sharp climb to Mende ( 3k at 10% or so)
I quite like the grid idea but can't see anyone from sky going for it from the start... does it start on the flat or halfway up a hill and how far apart are they??

for the 65km stage

Bernal is 18th at the mo, and looking below him its likely he'll stay there

we can only dream of some sort of Sky - Astana or Lotto Jumbo - Dan Martin alliance to shred the top 20 from the off

:)

Climb doesn’t look that bad per the profile...must have planned it out though ( time to change bike v gains from road bike)
Just looked. 900 metres at 10.2% with sharp drop to follow.
Imo they would be mad to swap bikes

They were saying the finish was really technical as well so not just the climb.

Back