Tattoos - Yes or No

What's fashionable today is old hat tomorrow,but your stuck with the fuckers.

Look at older boys with naked women on there arm with a snake wrapped round them,they looked "cool" back in the day I bet.more recent years is that Celtic band folk went mad for,look at them now ffs

I like small subtle ones but I'm not a fan of massive tattoos like when people get an entire sleeve, no matter how good the artwork is.

When it comes down to it though, it's their body so they can do what they like with it. Nowt to do with me.

When I was about 18 I was in a tattoo shop and saw this piece on the wall that I thought was amazing at the time but couldn't afford. 24 years later and I praise the gods of poverty that I couldn't afford it back then or I'd be stuck with a 18" picture of a guitar with flames around it down one side of my chest/stomach for the rest of my life.

Still happy I managed to scrape together the £12 for a little Tazmanian devil on my upper arm that day, though. I wouldn't choose to have that particular one done nowadays if I didn't already have it but it served me well in my late teens/twenties and doesn't bother me in the slightest it still being there.

In my mid-twenties I went to another place and got a slightly more ROCK! but still quite subtle tribal thing around the other upper arm. I'm still totally happy with that one too. Again at the time I was thinking "Ooh, I quite fancy a really big tattoo on my back, too" and am forever thankful that I couldn't afford it.

No desire at all to have any more of them anymore.

No for me personally, couldn't give a shite what anyone else does tbh.

I used to work with a loads of old matelots who got them in their younger days. After 30 years they just looked and blob of ink on their arm. Would not have been able to tell what they were originally unless I was told.

Laughable like when people call them "body art" mind.
I got one on my upper arm in my younger days. It was a decent tattoo when I first had it done. The only time I ever notice it now is when I have a short sleeved top on as it's pretty shit now. Time changes your body and your tattoo. I like the look of some of today's body art and I have nothing against them,but if I could choose again I wouldn't get one.

I got one on my upper arm in my younger days. It was a decent tattoo when I first had it done. The only time I ever notice it now is when I have a short sleeved top on as it's pretty shit now. Time changes your body and your tattoo. I like the look of some of today's body art and I have nothing against them,but if I could choose again I wouldn't get one.
One of mine is very top of my shoulder and I dislike it now so much I don't wear vests for gym or running. :neutral:

some young, heavily inked people can look really cool, not sure how it will look as they age however.
Still cool as fuck:
Logon or register to see this image

I have 7, all bar 1 have a significant meaning to me, and I would get more if money allowed (I need to get another in the next couple of years as I have one for my daughter but not my son).

What's fashionable today is old hat tomorrow,but your stuck with the fuckers.

Look at older boys with naked women on there arm with a snake wrapped round them,they looked "cool" back in the day I bet.more recent years is that Celtic band folk went mad for,look at them now ffs
Nowt worse than a Celtic band on a bingo wing:)
I don't understand tattoos, jewellery or Twitter.

Non whatsoever but being an ex long haired biker muso I think they're quite cool as a concept .Love the art and process but their popularity has kind of diluted their power as a statement
Even the best sleeves look a mess really ,also neck and hands stuff fall into the trying way to hard category

Still cool as fuck:
Logon or register to see this image

I have 7, all bar 1 have a significant meaning to me, and I would get more if money allowed (I need to get another in the next couple of years as I have one for my daughter but not my son).
The cool you mentioned is seeing this guy and knowing he'll have some stories to tell etc
Malcolm in accounts is getting tatted up to the hilt these days

A man who doesn’t wear a watch isn’t to be trusted imo .The old”I’ve got a phone that tells the time” confirms my worst fears.
Wear a watch about twice a year ,never wore one pre mobile phones
Always punctual .Occasionally wear one and the second I walk back in the door I'm compelled to take it off

Last edited:
The cool you mentioned is seeing this guy and knowing he'll have some stories to tell etc
Malcolm in accounts is getting tatted up to the hilt these days

Wear a watch about twice a year ,never wore one pre mobile phones
Always punctual .Occasionally wear one and the second I walk back in the door I'm compelled to take it off
Have one on 24hrs a day,doesn’t feel right without one on .Never started wearing one properly till mid 20’s

I do like a good tattoo, shame the vast majority are just these copycat w@nky sleeve stuff these days. No imagination anymore.

I was talking to a bloke about tattoos once. He insisted that people who had them are ‘more creative’ and ‘artistic’. I challenged this on the basis that people with tattoos are the canvas, rather than the artist. Generally.

I don’t have tattoos. I believe some are ugly and the best are ‘meh’. But if you like them or want them, then go ahead. Fill yer boots.
Depends how much input you have on the piece ,I would say people with great paintings in their house are artistic .It used to be people from certain backgrounds instead of Trevor the loss negotiator etc

Back