Talk of a 2 week national lockdown now man

Figures are going up in groups that are not at risk mainly. That's fine. Desirable even some might argue
The not at risk groups will pass it on its obvious. What about teachers, nhs staff , bus drivers , taxi drivers, the list is endless. Argueing a gainst a lockdown is just selfish stupidity, imo anyway.

Why do the headlines keep calling it a lockdown? The March one was fair enough, while technically not a lockdown, stay home was close enough that the term more or less applied. Everything being proposed since then though has just been restrictions, so why does everyone keep parroting "new lockdown".
Because the papers like to sensationalise and a lot of people are a bit dense.

The not at risk groups will pass it on its obvious. What about teachers, nhs staff , bus drivers , taxi drivers, the list is endless. Argueing a gainst a lockdown is just selfish stupidity, imo anyway.

Isnt it more selfish wanting people to lose their jobs because of something you want?

The not at risk groups will pass it on yes. But you can stay at home and not be part of that, as can anyone.

That would be an option, although apart from the fact it could easily creep into care homes despite testing those that interact with them, there are plenty others at risk with families etc.
It won’t need to creep in. It’s already been stated that Covid positive patients will be released from hospital into care homes again.

This wasn't directed at me, but my alternative is protect the most vulnerable, get them to shield, test care home staff daily, stop visits for a month, everyone else get on as normal, even encourage interaction. Let's just get on with it.

This for me too.

For people under the age of 50, who have no underlying health conditions, this virus doesn't pose a great deal of risk. That's based on the number of deaths from the aforementioned category of people since this all began. I don't believe our hospital's have ever been overran with covid patients in that category either?

I'd like the furlough scheme to continue for 'at risk' folk who can't WFH, to prevent them from being exposed unnecessarily.

I'd also say that we keep masks mandatory in supermarkets/public transport, to again try prevent the spread in places 'at risk' folk can't necessarily avoid.

Put those measures in place, open everything back up and just let people decide for themselves how they want to approach things?

If we need to lockdown again, it proves lockdowns do not work.
We are going to end up with nothing left before long...jobs, economy etc.
The figures from the ONS the other day revealed that flu and pneumonia are now killing more people in the UK than covid and we have a vaccine for flu
I’d say the thickets who refuse to wear masks, fail to adhere to social distance rules, can’t or rather won’t accept that their lives have to alter slightly to protect the vulnerable and think that the virus ‘isn’t that bad’ might be contributing to another lockdown being on the cards. Just my opinion .

What about teachers and taxi drivers? If they are in a risk category let them not work for a month or two. If they are not, as most won't be, go to work. Not sure of what your point is really.

Thanks for your opinion in the final sentence though. Everyone feels differently.

What the fuck is going on here?

Lockdown was to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. It is frankly nowhere near and has empty hospitals across the country in reserve.

We are destroying the country ,over these figures, with lockdown. There is a political game afoot or a wider consideration...I just cannot understand this.

History will recognise the first lockdown as necessary but a second shut down will surely be looked on as suicide.

You'd almost think they were conspiring against the general public. Some of us could see this coming a mile off regardless of what position we'd be in.

This for me too.

For people under the age of 50, who have no underlying health conditions, this virus doesn't pose a great deal of risk. That's based on the number of deaths from the aforementioned category of people since this all began. I don't believe our hospital's have ever been overran with covid patients in that category either?

I'd like the furlough scheme to continue for 'at risk' folk who can't WFH, to prevent them from being exposed unnecessarily.

I'd also say that we keep masks mandatory in supermarkets/public transport, to again try prevent the spread in places 'at risk' folk can't necessarily avoid.

Put those measures in place, open everything back up and just let people decide for themselves how they want to approach things?

There's a hell of a lot of people 50-65 who are in the working population, mind, and who couldn't wfh. If you propose furlough for them all, then wouldn't we end up in a position where the under 50s bitterly resent paying them to stay at home? Millennials who can't afford a mortgage subsidising 55 year-olds to sit in front of Cash in the Attic...

As much as the government should be held accountable for there complete mis-management of the pandemic, its about time people accepted some responsibility, there isn't going to be a magic bullet any time soon
If people wear a mask, maintain social distancing and wash there hands it would make a massive difference.
75% of shop workers have been verbally abused for requesting prople put a mask on. The way its going Cummings is going to get his much vaunted Herd imunity by default

An alternate strategy for those unsatisfied with the government's current plan (or lack of).

IMMEDIATE MEASURES (to be reviewed, as appropriate, when testing is functional and
infections are back under control)
1. Close indoor service in pubs and restaurants
2. Work or study at home if possible. If impossible; don’t return to the
workplace/University/College until certified COVID safe and provide financial support to
employees in the interim
3. Limit indoor social interaction to a bubble of three households
4. Fund schools to allow smaller socially distanced classes and provide digital resources for all students and teachers, should they have to study and work at home
5. Create an emergency fund to support all those needing to shield or self-isolate (including those unable to get tested and their contacts)
6. Re-establish the 2 metre distance rule

A STRATEGY FOR BUILDING A FUNCTIONAL TESTING SYSTEM
7. Rebuild the testing system based on tried and trusted local NHS, primary care and public health structures
8. Recruit local contact tracers who know their patch and therefore better able both to trace individual contacts and investigate clusters
9. Provide clear consistent messaging about testing and other protective measures that is
culturally competent and accessible to all sections of the community
10. Establish a clear strategy and set for priorities for symptomatic and asymptomatic testing

Back