Talk of a 2 week national lockdown now man

What the fuck is going on here?

Lockdown was to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. It is frankly nowhere near and has empty hospitals across the country in reserve.

We are destroying the country ,over these figures, with lockdown. There is a political game afoot or a wider consideration...I just cannot understand this.

History will recognise the first lockdown as necessary but a second shut down will surely be looked on as suicide.

Lockdown was to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. It is frankly nowhere near and has empty hospitals across the country in reserve.

We are destroying the country ,over these figures, with lockdown. There is a political game afoot or a wider consideration...I just cannot understand this.

History will recognise the first lockdown as necessary but a second shut down will surely be looked on as suicide.

Trying to avert another carnage I'd imagine.

Trying to avert another carnage I'd imagine.

Trying too avoid carnage by locking down by making even more people unemployed and poor. Not to mention the mental health side of things.

Doesn't sound the best plan in the world. Especially when there is no vaccine & after the next lockdown is lifted cases will rise again.

I don't know what the end game is here but im not a fan of making everyone unemployed but at least the nhs is okay idea.

Trying too avoid carnage by locking down by making even more people unemployed and poor. Not to mention the mental health side of things.

Doesn't sound the best plan in the world. Especially when there is no vaccine & after the next lockdown is lifted cases will rise again.

I don't know what the end game is here but im not a fan of making everyone unemployed but at least the nhs is okay idea.

what is your alternative solution then?

This wasn't directed at me, but my alternative is protect the most vulnerable, get them to shield, test care home staff daily, stop visits for a month, everyone else get on as normal, even encourage interaction. Let's just get on with it.

That would be an option, although apart from the fact it could easily creep into care homes despite testing those that interact with them, there are plenty others at risk with families etc.

Allowing the rate of infection to exponentially rise at this time so it peaks at the same time the flu season kicks in would totally fuck the NHS.

Each winter the NHS is at breaking point, we have one of the lowest number of ICU beds per capita in Europe.

Even with the extended Nightingale capacity, having no lockdown or restrictions would be disastrous.

Ask yourself this, if you fall ill (for whatever reason) do you want to be able to go to hospital or face the prospect of receiving no treatment and dying at home?

Last edited:
This wasn't directed at me, but my alternative is protect the most vulnerable, get them to shield, test care home staff daily, stop visits for a month, everyone else get on as normal, even encourage interaction. Let's just get on with it.

Pretty much what i was going to reply.

To put it bluntly, those who are scared stay in. Those who accept they might catch it but need too work carry on.

Same goes for pubs & restraunts. If your not comfortable don't go. If your fine with it then continue going.

That would be an option, although apart from the fact it could easily creep into care homes despite testing those that interact with them, there are plenty others at risk with families etc.
Lots of people are going to end up dying of something else if we tank the economy. Plus what is the point in living in any case if this is what our lives are reduced to? I've heard lots of pensioners say as much.

Do our best to reduce risk to those most vulnerable and get on

Lots of people are going to end up dying of something else if we tank the economy. Plus what is the point in living in any case if this is what our lives are reduced to? I've heard lots of pensioners say as much.

Do our best to reduce risk to those most vulnerable and get on

The economy will be ok in a years time after defeating the virus. lives are more important.

The economy will be ok in a years time after defeating the virus. lives are more important.
I don't think it will mate. This is worse than the crash which we still were not over after a decade.

And lives are important, but lots will die from lack of cancer care, an under funded NHS for years due to economic downturn, suicides from job losses, mental health crisis not getting recognised early enough.

It's not easy but we have it wrong I think. What other choice so we have. UNLESS, we can say there will be a vaccine by, say, February. Go on like this indefinitely? It's crap.

It's not their job to worry about the economy so it would be extremely harsh to criticise them.

However the lockdown earlier in the year didn't work. The airline industry is pretty much dead thousands out of work.

Now the winter lockdowns will soon kill off pubs and parts of the hospitality industry.

Another 3 month lockdown and this country will be on its arse more than it's ever been.
Where do you live ?
I live in Co Durham, the lockdown worked here, its only since measures were eased that the virus is rearing its ugly head again. If we hadn't locked down in march , the NHS would have been overrun and the death toll would have been a lot worse.
Most of that we are already doing and the figures are going up.

Last edited:
I don't think it will mate. This is worse than the crash which we still were not over after a decade.

And lives are important, but lots will die from lack of cancer care, an under funded NHS for years due to economic downturn, suicides from job losses, mental health crisis not getting recognised early enough.

It's not easy but we have it wrong I think. What other choice so we have. UNLESS, we can say there will be a vaccine by, say, February. Go on like this indefinitely? It's crap.

Where do you live ?
I live in Co Durham, the lockdown worked here, its only since measures were eased that the virus is rearing its ugly head again. If we hadn't locked down in march , the NHS would have been overrun and the death toll would have been a lot worse.

Most of that we are already doing and the figures are going up.
Figures are going up in groups that are not at risk mainly. That's fine. Desirable even some might argue

Back