Talk of a 2 week national lockdown now man

I’d say the thickets who refuse to wear masks, fail to adhere to social distance rules, can’t or rather won’t accept that their lives have to alter slightly to protect the vulnerable and think that the virus ‘isn’t that bad’ might be contributing to another lockdown being on the cards. Just my opinion .
I’d say the thickets who refuse to wear masks, fail to adhere to social distance rules, can’t or rather won’t accept that their lives have to alter slightly to protect the vulnerable and think that the virus ‘isn’t that bad’ might be contributing to another lockdown being on the cards. Just my opinion .
They won’t accept that as they don’t think they are doing anything wrong. Plus it’s all someone else’s fault. They are beyond redemption.

There's a hell of a lot of people 50-65 who are in the working population, mind, and who couldn't wfh. If you propose furlough for them all, then wouldn't we end up in a position where the under 50s bitterly resent paying them to stay at home? Millennials who can't afford a mortgage subsidising 55 year-olds to sit in front of Cash in the Attic...

That's a fair point. The answer is likely yes, but is it a necessary evil?

I think if you gave that category the choice now, between doing that and have everything back open as a result or continue crippling the economy and maintaining the intermittent partial/full lockdown shitshow we currently have, I think they'd snap your hand off for the former. I know I would.

Lockdown was to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed. It is frankly nowhere near and has empty hospitals across the country in reserve.

To somebody who does not understand exponential growth it probably seems like at the moment nothing needs to be done. But if they do nothing now when things start to look a little ropey then its already too late. I am not saying I agree with lockdowns because I would prefer herd immunity and simply hide the at risk away. However if they intend to keep the numbers of infections down then the time to act is absolutely now.

If you dont understand exponential growth and have 5 minutes spare. Then this might help you understand why the government are making restrictions now.

Yes, but surely there has to be a reasonable compromise where the people it has no affect on get on with life and the vulnerable are protected, this current situation cannot continue
There's the small problem that letting it run riot in the 'unaffected' leads to it spreading to those others in the population who are 'affected'.

You still don’t understand how a highly contagious virus works do you?
It’s pointless arguing on here because some have made there minds up that hiding away is the only option and anything else doesn’t matter
There's the small problem that letting it run riot in the 'unaffected' leads to it spreading to those others in the population who are 'affected'.
Ahh I got my spelling a bit wrong and you also disagreed with me, so it made you feel a bit more superior to highlight that, nice one👍

Last edited:
Life has turned into a science fiction film. We are going to have to find a way to live with this until a vaccine is found.

Lockdown followed by easing followed by lockdowm isn't the answer, or is it? It might be buying us time. At the moment no Government in the world has an answer.

It’s pointless arguing on here because some have made there minds up that hiding away is the only option and anything else doesn’t matter

Ahh I got my spelling a bit wrong and you also disagreed with me, so it made you feel a bit more superior to highlight that, nice one👍
Any reference to spelling was unintentional on my part.

An alternate strategy for those unsatisfied with the government's current plan (or lack of).

IMMEDIATE MEASURES (to be reviewed, as appropriate, when testing is functional and
infections are back under control)
1. Close indoor service in pubs and restaurants
2. Work or study at home if possible. If impossible; don’t return to the
workplace/University/College until certified COVID safe and provide financial support to
employees in the interim
3. Limit indoor social interaction to a bubble of three households
4. Fund schools to allow smaller socially distanced classes and provide digital resources for all students and teachers, should they have to study and work at home
5. Create an emergency fund to support all those needing to shield or self-isolate (including those unable to get tested and their contacts)
6. Re-establish the 2 metre distance rule

A STRATEGY FOR BUILDING A FUNCTIONAL TESTING SYSTEM
7. Rebuild the testing system based on tried and trusted local NHS, primary care and public health structures
8. Recruit local contact tracers who know their patch and therefore better able both to trace individual contacts and investigate clusters
9. Provide clear consistent messaging about testing and other protective measures that is
culturally competent and accessible to all sections of the community
10. Establish a clear strategy and set for priorities for symptomatic and asymptomatic testing
Damning on the government that they have come out and said that.

Point 2 is an interesting one, given the lack of testing. Everyone back at home until tested, but you can't get tested and may get infected the very next day. It specifically mentions Universities. Part of the team I manage are the network engineers in a University. Say those rules were brought in tomorrow and it took 5 days to get tested, but the network went down on Sunday evening, the University is screwed for 4 days.

Damning on the government that they have come out and said that.

Point 2 is an interesting one, given the lack of testing. Everyone back at home until tested, but you can't get tested and may get infected the very next day. It specifically mentions Universities. Part of the team I manage are the network engineers in a University. Say those rules were brought in tomorrow and it took 5 days to get tested, but the network went down on Sunday evening, the University is screwed for 4 days.
Does point 2 not refer to the work environment being safe rather than an individual requiring a test?

Back