Taking your own sauce to a restaurant

I often take a container of my home made Cantonese chili oil when going out for dim sum and ask the restaurant to put it in a dish for me.

The Chinese restaurants don't stock it over here whereas it's a staple accompaniment in the UK, Hong Kong etc.

I don't think the quality of the food has anything to do with enjoying sauce on it, personally.
Of course it does,if a professional is cooking food there is an assumption that they have a good idea of what flavours go together and have created a dish a such.

From that perspective,it's fairly rude to come in and assume their food is shit and needs extra flavour with hot sauce.

Of course the reality,as others have said,is if you are eating shit food then taking hot sauce makes sense. If it is a kebab place and they don't have hot sauce,then they don't deserve anybody's custom.

Yes.

Either that or squirt the mouth mush from children of the family from table before that have lovingly slavered all down the ketchup bottle.

I think it's a bit rude, like people who put salt or pepper on their food without trying it.
Some restaurants frown upon bringing and consuming your own food in.

A women I once worked with often took a jar of gravy granules to Italian restaurants whenever persuaded to visit one. Asked for them to be made up and put on meal. Shocking ignorance on many levels.

She was a Washington Mag , need I say more ?

Really don't see why the militant opposition to this.

It's a small bottle of condiment. If anything you are being beneficial to the restaurant by not using their complimentary sauce and saving them money in the process. You are still purchasing a full meal (and a drink presumably), not as if you are ordering a side of chips and bringing your own steak in to hoy on the plate.

If the restaurant has a problem with you using dashes of your own sauce on their food they need to get a grip tbh.

Back