Taking up jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't refuse to get a bike, it's just not for me for going to work on. I have too much respect for motorists, being one myself, to clutter the road up with a bike.

If you're taking as long as you claim to go 3.5 miles in a car, you're not going to be doing it slower on a bike, and your car takes up a lot more space.

Then again, you've basically started a thread asking (unwittingly, I appreciate), how long it would take to you get up to the pace of top amateur runners. The pace you're talking about over 3.5 miles is roughly a 17:40 5k. If you can ever run that fast, you'll be lucky and you'll be winning prizes more than occasionally.

If you're taking as long as you claim to go 3.5 miles in a car, you're not going to be doing it slower on a bike, and your car takes up a lot more space.

Then again, you've basically started a thread asking (unwittingly, I appreciate), how long it would take to you get up to the pace of top amateur runners. The pace you're talking about over 3.5 miles is roughly a 17:40 5k. If you can ever run that fast, you'll be lucky and you'll be winning prizes more than occasionally.

I just thought with roger bannister doing a 4 minute mile about 60 years ago, around about 7 minute miles weren't ridiculous.
Like i said earlier, i can walk it in 50 minutes, so i was assuming jogging it would be more than twice my walking speed

I think you're off your tits if you think you'll be doing 3.5 miles in 20 minutes!

So it would seem Zig. I'm clueless when it comes to this. Obviously majorly over estimated it.

Last edited:
I just thought with roger bannister doing a 4 minute mile about 60 years ago, around about 7 minute miles weren't ridiculous.
Like i said earlier, i can walk it in 50 minutes, so i was assuming jogging it would be more than twice my walking speed

So it would seem Zig. I'm clueless when it comes to this. Obviously majorly over estimated it.
Just slightly.

3.5 miles in 20 minutes is not a 7 minute mile, it's a 5:43 mile. That's an absolutely enormous difference in terms of real-world running. I'm also a very fast walker (as you apparently are if you walk 3.5 miles in 50 minutes) who walks several miles to work every day and am both reasonably young - early 30s - and fit, and I think what you're proposing is absolutely insane. 28-30 minutes (roughly an 8 minute mile pace) is much more realistic, and even that would take a fair amount of training. From where you're starting, months, possibly years. At that point, walking would be much more comfortable.

I don't refuse to get a bike, it's just not for me for going to work on. I have too much respect for motorists, being one myself, to clutter the road up with a bike.

That's not how it read. :lol: Nearly all of us are motorists, too.
Ride properly and you are no real hindrance, mate.

3.5 miles in 20 minutes is not a 7 minute mile, it's a 5:43 mile. That's an absolutely enormous difference in terms of real-world running. I'm also a very fast walker (as you apparently are if you walk 3.5 miles in 50 minutes) who walks several miles to work every day and am both reasonably young - early 30s - and fit, and I think what you're proposing is absolutely insane. 28-30 minutes (roughly an 8 minute mile pace) is much more realistic, and even that would take a fair amount of training. From where you're starting, months, possibly years. At that point, walking would be much more comfortable.

If I'm not being slowed by kids or the wife, i walk at 4 miles an hour no problem. Also according to S Health, my top speed sometimes hits 6mph. I'm not flustered after walking into work in 50 minutes.
As stated earlier in the thread, I'll cover loads of ground on foot round the site at work. Depends if I'm on days or nights. Regularly hit 30,000 steps in a day. I'm a good walker and quick.
Hence my insane assumption i could run at better than twice my walking pace!

If I'm not being slowed by kids or the wife, i walk at 4 miles an hour no problem. Also according to S Health, my top speed sometimes hits 6mph. I'm not flustered after walking into work in 50 minutes.
As stated earlier in the thread, I'll cover loads of ground on foot round the site at work. Depends if I'm on days or nights. Regularly hit 30,000 steps in a day. I'm a good walker and quick.
Hence my insane assumption i could run at better than twice my walking pace!

Yeah, I get it. But the limitation on walking speed isn't lung capacity unless one is a tremendous fatty or going up a fairly steep hill at 7,000 feet above sea level. My walking/hiking pace now is not markedly faster than when I was 30 pounds overweight during my university years. The two don't have very much to do with each other.

Can't wait till I start biking to work.

Currently live 10 miles away from work and drop the bairn with the childminder every day.

Once the bairn starts nursery in the autumn and the wife takes over the dropping off duties I'm investing in a bike and the car won't leave the drive till the wekend

If we were supposed to run we'd have four legs.

As a bit of random trivia, running slowly for a very long time is one of the main human superpowers. Many animals have something that sets them apart, like big strong jaws, massive teeth, claws, venom, speed etc. We have stamina and can regulate our body temperature better than most animals (though not as well as horses and camels).

One of the traditional hunting methods in Africa (where we originated from) was running down animals over a long period of time. Find a massive antelope and basically jog after it. Keep it on the move, don't let it sleep, eat, drink etc. If the animal can out run the human over the course of 10 hours, it lives and the humans die. Usually they can't, literally keel over and become dinner.

A cheetah has about 60 seconds of very fast running in it, then needs to rest for a long time, lions are slower but can manage a few minutes longer. Wolves can do about 5mph for a number of hours and generally live in colder climates so they do not have the overheating problems of the African predators. So long as you have a very good head start then a fit human can out run lions, cheetahs and possibly wolves. Nice thought, though I'm not tempted to test it.

As a bit of random trivia, running slowly for a very long time is one of the main human superpowers. Many animals have something that sets them apart, like big strong jaws, massive teeth, claws, venom, speed etc. We have stamina and can regulate our body temperature better than most animals (though not as well as horses and camels).

One of the traditional hunting methods in Africa (where we originated from) was running down animals over a long period of time. Find a massive antelope and basically jog after it. Keep it on the move, don't let it sleep, eat, drink etc. If the animal can out run the human over the course of 10 hours, it lives and the humans die. Usually they can't, literally keel over and become dinner.

A cheetah has about 60 seconds of very fast running in it, then needs to rest for a long time, lions are slower but can manage a few minutes longer. Wolves can do about 5mph for a number of hours and generally live in colder climates so they do not have the overheating problems of the African predators. So long as you have a very good head start then a fit human can out run lions, cheetahs and possibly wolves. Nice thought, though I'm not tempted to test it.

That's all very nice in theory, but "a very nice head start" there means that you'd need to be far enough away to start that the animal would never detect you in the first place. For example, one of the cardinal rules of safety around bears is that if you're close enough to a bear for it to notice you, you no longer have the option of running away from it.

The same would apply to all the animals on your list. For example, a cheetah has a top speed of roughly 60 mph. If it maintains that speed (to which cheetahs can apparently accelerate in 3 seconds) for a minute, it will have covered a mile. A very fast human can run that same distance in five minutes or so. Put otherwise, the cheetah will have run a quarter of a mile in a shade over 15 seconds. Even very fast humans take 50 seconds or so to run that distance. Mathematically, even if you are a half-mile away from a cheetah when you both start to run at a dead sprint, it will catch you before you've even made it one quarter of one mile further, rendering your long-distance prowess irrelevant.

Short story is that what you describe works as a hunting strategy, but that does not mean it works as a defensive strategy.

Last edited:
Get the Couch to 5k app. Pretty good and takes you from being shit at running to being able to run 5k easily. I used it before my colour rush event thing and got around it no probs and I was unfit as fuck.

That superpower must have bypassed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back