Taking up jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

so what's a sensible pace for a beginner runner then?

Work with your body, not stats. Run at a speed where you're comfortable keeping the pace and are not breathless. The more you do it, the faster you will get naturally.

I prefer just making it up as I go along rather than running for ..... minutes at ..... pace because some app said I have to.

Do you have somewhere to get changed and probably showered at work?
Used to have a lad at work who used to run from Seaburn to Shields to get to work.
He would then have a shower in a can and when we called him out about it he reckoned he had had a shower before he left home.
Dirty bastard was f***ing lifting.

I'm a beginner runner and am currently running anything between 3.5-4 miles at a pace of around 8:20 min/mile. Dunno if that's sensible or not, but it's a steady pace for me.
That's a good pace in my opinion. I run and always have but don't class myself as a runner. I would increase the distance and see if you can maintain the pace.

must say, in my opinion, its a terrible idea. no matter how fit you are, you can't do that type of run twice a day, 5 days in a row, week after week. even if you did, add in the 10/15 minutes shower time either side, and the time savings aren't worth it. take everyones advice, and get a half decent bike. you'll be amazed at how quick, easy and fun it is. you'll do 3.5 miles in 15 minutes and you'll hardly break sweat (depending on hills). it will get you a bit fit, save you time and most of all save you a fortune. if i worked 3.5miles away from my house i would never own a car again. cycling is class man
He could do both. Cycle to work then run home. I agree every day is too much and eventually he will get either injured or more likely fed up

That's a good pace in my opinion. I run and always have but don't class myself as a runner. I would increase the distance and see if you can maintain the pace.

I have been following one of these 'sofa to 5k' training regimes which has built me up from a mix of walking/running splits to running 30mins continuously. Now i'm doing that, the next step is to increase my distance and running running time. I go out 3 times a week and ideally want to get to a point where i'm doing one 10k run and a couple of 5k runs a week. Never thought i'd enjoy jogging, but i'm absolutely loving it.

Used to have a lad at work who used to run from Seaburn to Shields to get to work.
He would then have a shower in a can and when we called him out about it he reckoned he had had a shower before he left home.
Dirty bastard was f***ing lifting.

That's grim.

I have been following one of these 'sofa to 5k' training regimes which has built me up from a mix of walking/running splits to running 30mins continuously. Now i'm doing that, the next step is to increase my distance and running running time. I go out 3 times a week and ideally want to get to a point where i'm doing one 10k run and a couple of 5k runs a week. Never thought i'd enjoy jogging, but i'm absolutely loving it.

oooh look at me doing all this running
pathetic

See my mouth / throat just gets full of thick crappy saliva by the time i have to stop. Don't know why but it basically MAKES me stop to the point I have to walk for a few minutes. I would love ti be able to run for distances.
You have rabies mate. Get it checked out and don't bite anyone

That's grim.
It was . Didn't wash his work clothes for ages as well. I couldn't quite sum up what he smelt like until this women described it as "crack of arse " The fucker used to do ok with the fanny as well. Must have all had blocked noses

Last edited:
You have rabies mate. Get it checked out and don't bite anyone

It was . Didn't wash his work clothes for ages as well. I couldn't quite sum up what he smelt like until this women described it as "crack of arse " The fucker used to do ok with the fanny as well. Must have all had blocked noses

I worked with someone who worked a very heavy job. He had to carry loads of collecting boxes each day and sweated - a lot.
Even with a clean t-shirt for every day of the week the poor sod stank something chronic

probs be useful for me couldn't run to the end of my street atm:D

It's basic but works. Just gives you your running schedule each day and you just set it running and it tells you when to walk and jog. Each day it gets a little harder and before you know it you are doing 5k+

Excellent that's spot on. I did the same with my wife about 15 years ago as she struggled with running. She is doing her 11th GNR this year and has done a marathon and numerous 10ks. It's all in the mind!!

As a bit of random trivia, running slowly for a very long time is one of the main human superpowers. Many animals have something that sets them apart, like big strong jaws, massive teeth, claws, venom, speed etc. We have stamina and can regulate our body temperature better than most animals (though not as well as horses and camels).

One of the traditional hunting methods in Africa (where we originated from) was running down animals over a long period of time. Find a massive antelope and basically jog after it. Keep it on the move, don't let it sleep, eat, drink etc. If the animal can out run the human over the course of 10 hours, it lives and the humans die. Usually they can't, literally keel over and become dinner.

A cheetah has about 60 seconds of very fast running in it, then needs to rest for a long time, lions are slower but can manage a few minutes longer. Wolves can do about 5mph for a number of hours and generally live in colder climates so they do not have the overheating problems of the African predators. So long as you have a very good head start then a fit human can out run lions, cheetahs and possibly wolves. Nice thought, though I'm not tempted to test it.

Thanks very much for the insight but it's far easier going to the supermarket for your food.

so what's a sensible pace for a beginner runner then?

Everyone is different mate - so there is no standard pace. That said, if you have a decent level of fitness, 9 minute miles over a distance of 3-4 miles is pretty easy

Excellent that's spot on. I did the same with my wife about 15 years ago as she struggled with running. She is doing her 11th GNR this year and has done a marathon and numerous 10ks. It's all in the mind!!

The last bit is spot on mate. I am training for my 5th marathon and 90% of the problems you encounter during training are in your head.

To pinch a saying from the cycling world "if your head is right, your legs follow"

Last edited:
I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.
Are you talking jogging or running ..just slow down and gradually increase your distance .....when you get to the 3 mile distance then stick to that and increase your speed until you can run 3 miles in 20 mins then start increasing the distances.........make sure you take off at least two days per week to rest body.......

Everyone is different mate - so there is no standard pace. That said, if you have a decent level of fitness, 9 minute miles over a distance of 3-4 miles is pretty easy

Spot on. Depending on your inherent fitness, you might eventually find that a pace in the 8, 9 or 10 min range will feel comfortable over 3.5 miles. Everyone is different, but many people could probably get in that range.

If you find you can run that distance in 20 minutes, sign up for some local 5k races and you'll probably be very competitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back