Taking the dog for a walk

The government should just make it Illegal to have dogs off a lead except in designated areas. At least that way dog walkers who don't want other people's dogs attacking them will have somewhere to go.
A farmer is calling for a change in laws to protect livestock after his pregnant highland cow was chased to death by two pet dogs.He has began a campaign to make a criminal offence for dogs to be off the lead in a field of livestock ,At present dog can be off the lead if under “close control.”
He continued ,we want dog owners to understand no dog can be 100% guarantee not to chase livestock and that Poppin dogs on the lead when near livestock is the responsible thing to do.(Times June 12)
I always feel sorry for dog owners as there never seem to have any human friends

I've got a 1 year old german shepherd. He needs a lot of exercise. I used to take him on a 40 minute walk with a ball in the field for a good run-out. Then at weekends or if I have a day off we'd do a circuit in the fen, maybe a 5-miler. Gives me the exercise too.

A couple of months back he caught kennel cough from the neighbour's dog. They hadn't told us until it was too late and they'd touched noses at the fence. So I kept him in (to protect other dogs) and just exercised him in the garden with his ball. It's not serious for young, big, strong dogs but I didn't want any other dogs to catch it from him. He's a couple of weeks clear of the infection now so I'll need to start taking him out on his walks again. Trouble is he overheats due to his thick coat in this heat, so it has to be first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

I've got a 1 year old german shepherd. He needs a lot of exercise. I used to take him on a 40 minute walk with a ball in the field for a good run-out. Then at weekends or if I have a day off we'd do a circuit in the fen, maybe a 5-miler. Gives me the exercise too.

A couple of months back he caught kennel cough from the neighbour's dog. They hadn't told us until it was too late and they'd touched noses at the fence. So I kept him in (to protect other dogs) and just exercised him in the garden with his ball. It's not serious for young, big, strong dogs but I didn't want any other dogs to catch it from him. He's a couple of weeks clear of the infection now so I'll need to start taking him out on his walks again. Trouble is he overheats due to his thick coat in this heat, so it has to be first thing in the morning or last thing at night.
Best to be careful, a husky/collie cross collapsed and died in our local park yesterday from heat exhaustion.

Few buckets of water over them to help with the heat, do with mine.

Never owned a long haired dog, girlfriend has a Shih Tzu that gets groomed every couple of weeks, and it always seem knackered in the heat when it's coat's long. Can you not just give it a three all over?.

Closest I've had was a corgi/GS cross but he was short hair, so I have no idea if this is possible :lol:

Back