Taking stitches out yourself

i strongly disagree with this post. i dont bother getting stuff seen to because it takes too long to be seen, either at a gp or A and E. or you do go to a and e, wait 6 hours to then be sent home with no remedy. complete waste of time.

Happened to me. Had an accident in work one night and wound up with multiple deep cuts very close to my eye, on the inside of the top of my nose. Sat in A and E for 5 and a half hours to be told "well, don't do it again" and sent on my way.

I'd have been fuming but I got out of night shift and there was a canny 9/11 documentary on

Happened to me. Had an accident in work one night and wound up with multiple deep cuts very close to my eye, on the inside of the top of my nose. Sat in A and E for 5 and a half hours to be told "well, don't do it again" and sent on my way.

I'd have been fuming but I got out of night shift and there was a canny 9/11 documentary on
the nhs is a disaster when it comes to organisation.

Looks nicely sealed, lovely pink colour (sorry, color) showing good blood flow and no signs of undue swelling so no infection. Stitches ready to come (leave it any longer and they will develop too much adhesion and will be as painful as hell to pull through). Bit of alcohol surface soak / wipe and over your knife blade or scissors then then, looking at the stitches, I would cut close to the skin nearer to the wrist - as you want as little surface suture as you can to get pulled underneath the skin and it looks easier to cut there than at the top edge above the knots.

Afterward you will need to be careful as the wound is sealed but isn't beyond being torn open if you move the thumb about too much so you might want to put a thumb splint on it for 5 to 7 days.

I had a hernia when i was a nipper. 30 odd years later and I was still getting the occasional bit of wiry stitching popping out of the zipper scar holes.
Probably just the remains of the maggots they used to clean the wound ;)

Got 4 stitches in my hand that are due out tomorrow. In the states so don’t fancy paying through the nose to get them taken out. Can’t be that hard surely to take them out? Or am I being a stupid tight arse?
I've had a great many stiches in my lifetime (skateboarding) and I've always taken them out myself. I admit that when I was younger, it wasn't in the most sterile and cleanest of manners but I've been a lot more careful in my old age.

Probably not a good thing to do, though.

me mate took 5 out of his foot was easy to do he reckoned, had to get his leg amputated below the knee due to gangrene a few weeks later however
:lol:

That must have been one intense self-love session, pal

Well depending on what it is, I'm sure you probably could manage it yourself, BUT my point about Americans (and others) performing medical things on themselves is true
Guilty as charged. When I go skating, I always have a bottle of superglue handy because it's great for sealing up deep cuts to stop the bleeding. I've done a lot of self-first-aid on myself for many years.

Feels lush getting stitches out.
If lush means great, then I agree

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nicely sealed, lovely pink colour (sorry, color) showing good blood flow and no signs of undue swelling so no infection. Stitches ready to come (leave it any longer and they will develop too much adhesion and will be as painful as hell to pull through). Bit of alcohol surface soak / wipe and over your knife blade or scissors then then, looking at the stitches, I would cut close to the skin nearer to the wrist - as you want as little surface suture as you can to get pulled underneath the skin and it looks easier to cut there than at the top edge above the knots.

Afterward you will need to be careful as the wound is sealed but isn't beyond being torn open if you move the thumb about too much so you might want to put a thumb splint on it for 5 to 7 days.

Probably just the remains of the maggots they used to clean the wound ;)
Cheers for the advice. It’s colour. I’m not a murican!

Done it loads of times, just make sure it's clean, snip the stitch then grab the knot with tweezers and pull it through.

I pulled them out of my gums a few years back (wisdom tooth extraction), but they were dissolvable ones, so if I missed anything, it didn't matter. And I had a follow up appointment where I knew it would get checked.

Had them in my head when I was younger, and fuck me, getting them out hurt more than the accident - blood everywhere. I looked like Terry Butcher.

I wouldn't risk it if they're not dissolvable ones.

Back