Taking stitches out yourself

I had a hernia when i was a nipper. 30 odd years later and I was still getting the occasional bit of wiry stitching popping out of the zipper scar holes.

Got 4 stitches in my hand that are due out tomorrow. In the states so don’t fancy paying through the nose to get them taken out. Can’t be that hard surely to take them out? Or am I being a stupid tight arse?

I've been the that position, its feels weird as hell pulling the stitches out, but needs must. Especially not wanting to pay a co-pay or the part not covered by your insurance.

Absolutely no need to "spoiler" that. It's true.
This is why there's so many videos of people squeezing massive boils and spots on the internet. They don't want to pay for it to be treated so they do it themselves, probably risking infection and dear knows what else.
Still, it keeps dermatologists who watch them entertained. In a grim sort of way
i strongly disagree with this post. i dont bother getting stuff seen to because it takes too long to be seen, either at a gp or A and E. or you do go to a and e, wait 6 hours to then be sent home with no remedy. complete waste of time.

i strongly disagree with this post. i dont bother getting stuff seen to because it takes too long to be seen, either at a gp or A and E. or you do go to a and e, wait 6 hours to then be sent home with no remedy. complete waste of time.

Well depending on what it is, I'm sure you probably could manage it yourself, BUT my point about Americans (and others) performing medical things on themselves is true

I concur. It was 3am New Year’s Day so probably not the best time!

Been in 9 days so due out tomorrow. No discharge. Seems to be healing nicely.
It’s a bit swollen still. Any pain? Also try to part the skin a bit and see if there’s any gapping. Personally I would prefer to leave for a couple more days or take them out but support with steri strips for a few days.

I would go to your appointment because they can better assess the wound then I can from a pic.

It’s a bit swollen still. Any pain? Also try to part the skin a bit and see if there’s any gapping. Personally I would prefer to leave for a couple more days or take them out but support with steri strips for a few days.

I would go to your appointment because they can better assess the wound then I can from a pic.
Cheers mate. Appreciate the advice

Back