Taking stitches out yourself

Discussion in 'SMB' started by gabbiadini1, Jan 9, 2019.

1. gabbiadini1

gabbiadini1 Winger

Got 4 stitches in my hand that are due out tomorrow. In the states so don’t fancy paying through the nose to get them taken out. Can’t be that hard surely to take them out? Or am I being a stupid tight arse?

The Lonious Monk likes this.
  2. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

What do YOU think?

3. nyron4england

nyron4england Striker

both.

4. I wouldn’t recommend

5. gabbiadini1

gabbiadini1 Winger

I’m in two minds mate. Hence the question

6. Frijj

Frijj Striker

Would be a bit silly IMO

this is why we shouldn’t make the move towards a more privatised healthcare system.

7. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

If it saves cash, I would do it. Just pour some vodka on when they're out to stop any infection.

Billy2Sheds and ChampionChimper like this.
  8. Coeus

Coeus Striker

It's fine, just use clean stuff.

9. nyron4england

nyron4england Striker

great argument for tbh. i could do loads of stuff myself and cut my tax bill. winner.

Sossidge Rerls likes this.
  10. There are ways of taking them out to minimise infection. In addition, its useful to know what suturing technique was used or you might leave a lot of the suture left in.

If they are simple interrupted sutures (essentially, single loops through the skin with a knot on top) its pretty easy. Disinfect skin and any instruments. Cut the loop next to the skin at one side. Pull the suture through from the other side. This is so as little exposed suture as possible travels through your skin. If you leave any non dissolvable suture in the skin it usually works its own way out although can form a cyst or abcess.

Good luck.

11. Spot

Spot Striker

BTPBW gone wrong?

12. spanky

spanky Central Defender

I think I'd just pay the money and be safe....

13. KeefBeer

KeefBeer Midfield

Cut at the knot and pull away from it.
    Check all of them when done in case you have left some pieces.
    Clean off with antibiotic cream.

14. luvulongtime

luvulongtime Striker

me mate took 5 out of his foot was easy to do he reckoned, had to get his leg amputated below the knee due to gangrene a few weeks later however

15. I did mine in my hand with a swiss army knife and a bottle of spray hand sanitiser. just cut the stitch close to the knot with the scissors bit then use the plier bit to pull the cut end through.if theres many get someone else to do it cos after the first 3 you'll want stop.

16. gabbiadini1

gabbiadini1 Winger

[​IMG]

17. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

Piece of piss.

18. gabbiadini1

gabbiadini1 Winger

Unfortunately not as cool a story as that. Was out and busting for a piss so went between two houses. Was lashing down with rain. Stood on a bit of plywood and slipped. Landed on a pile of broken tiles.

19. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Absolutely no need to "spoiler" that. It's true.
    This is why there's so many videos of people squeezing massive boils and spots on the internet. They don't want to pay for it to be treated so they do it themselves, probably risking infection and dear knows what else.
    Still, it keeps dermatologists who watch them entertained. In a grim sort of way

I take it they weren't able to sew your knob back on then :lol:

20. gabbiadini1

gabbiadini1 Winger

That’s what I’m thinking. Although I’ll have to use my left hand. Probably safer than getting my girlfriend to do it. She’ll probably slice me open again :lol:

After the event I realised how fortunate I had been! Now that really would have been shit!