Taking someone to court

Keawyeds

Striker
Afternoon O HiveMind of the SMB,

I've never had to do this before - thankfully - but unfortunately a situation has arisen, where some kernt owes me a fair chunk of money.
They've been given numerous opportunities to repay it - even in instalments, but for some reason they've decided ignoring me is a better idea.
More fool them.

Have any of you had to take anyone to court because they owed you money? To say Citizens Advice (or their phone line anyway) have been useless would be an understatement.
I've e-mailed the solicitors we used who did the conveyancing for our house to see if they have anyone there who might be able to help, but as with many of life's quandaries, I thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the SMB.

Any ideas?

I've never had to do this before - thankfully - but unfortunately a situation has arisen, where some kernt owes me a fair chunk of money.
They've been given numerous opportunities to repay it - even in instalments, but for some reason they've decided ignoring me is a better idea.
More fool them.

Have any of you had to take anyone to court because they owed you money? To say Citizens Advice (or their phone line anyway) have been useless would be an understatement.
I've e-mailed the solicitors we used who did the conveyancing for our house to see if they have anyone there who might be able to help, but as with many of life's quandaries, I thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of the SMB.

Any ideas?

How much is it for?

Over a grand

Hard I know but doesnt seem worth the hassle, put it down to a learning experience and hope they come to some form of sense. Someone might have better experience but even if you win, they will probably say they have nowt and get told to pay back 5 quid a month (with no recourse if they dont).

Cheaper to chin them or get someone else to do it if you can't. Seriously do you ha e any paperwork in place to prove it?

I don't know where she is. I know she's in the area, but not exactly where. I wouldn't punch her although I'd happily run over her with a traction engine.
Her delightful boyfriend is also apparently a wife beater so if he's not bothered about punching lasses, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to wallop me.
Again more fool him, but I'd rather not go down that particular route!
Hard I know but doesnt seem worth the hassle, put it down to a learning experience and hope they come to some form of sense. Someone might have better experience but even if you win, they will probably say they have nowt and get told to pay back 5 quid a month (with no recourse if they dont).

I see your point, but I think I'm going to do it so she doesn't get away with it.
She needs to learn consequences

Last edited:
I don't know where she is. I know she's in the area, but not exactly where. I wouldn't punch her although I'd happily run over her with a traction engine.
Her delightful boyfriend is also apparently a wife beater so if he's not bothered about punching lasses, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to wallop me.
Again more fool him, but I'd rather not go down that particular route!

Serious question then can you prove it was a loan and not a gift

More fool them.

Any ideas?

As @Harry Angstrom pointed out, use Money Claim Online if you know the fixed amount you're claiming for.

Most importantly, make sure you have as much evidence as possible gathered up and ready should it go to court.

Good luck mate but even if it goes to court will they not plead poverty and have an arrangement of £2 a week and then default on that? Suppose shy bairns and that...

She's already on UC. I've told them she's not been using the money she's been given for the purpose it was intended.
I'd take £2 a week for however long if it means she gets a weekly reminder that she's an absolute shithouse

As @Harry Angstrom pointed out, use Money Claim Online if you know the fixed amount you're claiming for.

Most importantly, make sure you have as much evidence as possible gathered up and ready should it go to court.

I have plenty. The problem I have right now is I don't know her address, so that money claim thing has hit a brick wall. I know her mother's address but it's not fair to lay this at her door. It's not her fault.

Any ideas @Harry Angstrom ?

There's an e-mail I've found there so I'm going to get in touch with them.

When I experienced this I was so pleased to get the house back I just took it on the chin and vowed to learn from the experience.

I've learned from it, but I want to make sure she does to.
Do not fuck with me and expect to get away with it.

Last edited:
She's already on UC. I've told them she's not been using the money she's been given for the purpose it was intended.
I'd take £2 a week for however long if it means she gets a weekly reminder that she's an absolute shithouse
Move on. Life is too short.
I've learned from it, but I want to make sure she does to.
Do not fuck with me and expect to get away with it.
She did and she has. Only way is getting the money through menaces.

Last edited:
I have plenty. The problem I have right now is I don't know her address, so that money claim thing has hit a brick wall. I know her mother's address but it's not fair to lay this at her door. It's not her fault.

Under the civil procedure rules you can serve the documents at their usual or last known address. However if that's your flat then it's not much use.

Back