taking kids on holiday outside of school holidays

Both my folks are retired teachers/deputy heads and they are of the same opinion as me (probably why I hold this opinion tbf) that kids get just as much, if not more, from a week or two of quality time with their parents on holiday than they will from school.

And catryan’s point is as fair as labelling marijuana as a gateway drug. ‘If you do this, then the worst will surely happen....’
I was just going to say the same thing. I have spoken to the teachers at my kids school and they have said the same thing.

We've had this crop up as an issue recently. The bairn (15) wants to go on holiday with his mate and his family. They're going for two weeks at the start of September. I can understand wanting to save money (any time we go abroad for a week during the holidays you're looking at about £3,000 for 4 of us) but equally he's got his GCSEs at the end of that year. He says he'll make the time up by doing extra studying but for me that's not the same as being taught. Wouldn't mind if it was a couple of days to take advantage of a cheaper flight out/ home and wouldn't mind if it was when he was like 6 years old, but really not sure when it's an important year. Think we might have to say no

Last edited:
We've had this crop up as an issue recently. The bairn (15) wants to go on holiday with his mate and his family. They're going for two weeks at the start of September. I can understand wanting to save money (any time we go abroad for a week during the holidays you're looking at about £3,000 for 4 of us) but equally he's got his GCSEs at the end of that year. He says he'll make the time up by doing extra studying but for me that's not the same as being taught. Wouldn't mind if it was a couple of days to take advantage of a chapter flight out/ home and wouldn't mind if it was when he was like 6 years old, but really not sure when it's an important year. Think we might have to say no

Obviously as a parent, that's your decision to make, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation either. I think I'd go on the side of no, especially for two weeks in the final year. If the school would work with them and give them homework then I might change my mind.

Let's see... role modelling to your child that education isn't as important as application, turning up, taking part, being equal to everyone else, not expecting special treatment.... depends on what you want for your child. If you think dropping out of uni because you don't see why it's important to turn up and end up stacking shelves in your 30s through lack of options as a result is a good outcome you should definitely go for it.

Just saying
That sounds like a stuck up opinion that people who want to spend time with their kids will neglect their education. We take 2 weeks out every year in October. We ask the teachers to keep their homework so they can do it when they comeback. They also know that they can't miss any days of school because if they do then they can't go on holidays. So it encourages them to go to school.

Plus there is no facts to back up that kids missing out on school to go on holidays will fall back on their education.

I’m pretty flippant too, it has to be said. I usually agree with your point of view on many things, but I think you’re out of whack on this one, I’m afraid. But then, we can only really know our own kids, and I believe mine benefit from spending some family time together even at the cost of a few school days. Especially now they’re teenagers and make a concerted effort not to speak to me on a day-to-day basis.....I find the Florida sun and Disney parks thaw their animosity a little.

I disagree but that 's fine. I don't see why family time is not possible in the school holidays. The only thing that is changed is that foreign holidays are more expensive.

I don't think these holidays are as important as staying in school.

I think role modelling and setting examples and having principles are not always easy but ultimately worth it :D

That sounds like a stuck up opinion that people who want to spend time with their kids will neglect their education. We take 2 weeks out every year in October. We ask the teachers to keep their homework so they can do it when they comeback. They also know that they can't miss any days of school because if they do then they can't go on holidays. So it encourages them to go to school.

Plus there is no facts to back up that kids missing out on school to go on holidays will fall back on their education.

that is a good idea

still thinks two weeks is a mad amount of time to take them out of school and kind of teaching them to bend the rules but having that condition that they can't miss any days of school is good, have they ever had to not go because of that?

We've had this crop up as an issue recently. The bairn (15) wants to go on holiday with his mate and his family. They're going for two weeks at the start of September. I can understand wanting to save money (any time we go abroad for a week during the holidays you're looking at about £3,000 for 4 of us) but equally he's got his GCSEs at the end of that year. He says he'll make the time up by doing extra studying but for me that's not the same as being taught. Wouldn't mind if it was a couple of days to take advantage of a cheaper flight out/ home and wouldn't mind if it was when he was like 6 years old, but really not sure when it's an important year. Think we might have to say no
Just tell them it's only 1 year without a holiday and they'll have plenty of time for holidays when they finish their exams.

Obviously as a parent, that's your decision to make, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation either. I think I'd go on the side of no, especially for two weeks in the final year. If the school would work with them and give them homework then I might change my mind.

Aye, I'm far from a stickler when it comes to these things. I let him have a day off to go to Bolton away for example, it was a big game and I felt that he'd easily catch up the one day. Life is for living and that trip with his mates (if only we hadn't played shit) should have been a good, memorable experience. Equally I'd happily take advantage of cheaper prices even if it meant missing a couple of days, or a week at a younger age. When they've got exams coming though you do need to try and set an example, letting him go off for two weeks (when they hardly seem to have any weeks in school as it is!) just doesn't feel right

Both my folks are retired teachers/deputy heads and they are of the same opinion as me (probably why I hold this opinion tbf) that kids get just as much, if not more, from a week or two of quality time with their parents on holiday than they will from school.

And catryan’s point is as fair as labelling marijuana as a gateway drug. ‘If you do this, then the worst will surely happen....’

My mam is a retired teacher and she had no problem with me taking my son on holiday out of school, neither did the head teacher that she worked under (they both retired at the same time from the primary he attended the summer before he started )

In fact she used to have a holiday pack to give to parents with "homework" , it was basically a holiday diary , it covered lots of different subjects that they could fit into a day out (ie maths was working out local currency, science was looking for different animals or rocks, English was writing what they'd done that day, history was visiting somewhere old and finding out about different cultures, obviously new languages too) There was a holiday bear the kids would take too and take photos of their time away . They had a display where this bear had been.

It's amazing how much kids can learn from a holiday, it's not just about being in a pool all week.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

vs

are you going to disney land mate......were planning on a big family one our 40ths...going with other family members too tho and the bairns will be 12 and 5

My mam is a retired teacher and she had no problem with me taking my son on holiday out of school, neither did the head teacher that she worked under (they both retired at the same time from the primary he attended the summer before he started )

In fact she used to have a holiday pack to give to parents with "homework" , it was basically a holiday diary , it covered lots of different subjects that they could fit into a day out (ie maths was working out local currency, science was looking for different animals or rocks, English was writing what they'd done that day, history was visiting somewhere old and finding out about different cultures, obviously new languages too) There was a holiday bear the kids would take too and take photos of their time away . They had a display where this bear had been.

It's amazing how much kids can learn from a holiday, it's not just about being in a pool all week.

i dont get people who go away just to do this...sit get pissed all day and lie in the sun whilst kids run amok... i keep harping on about excursions and the mrs was like but wer are going to do a few days of relaxing round the pool arent we

ERM NO

Last edited:
I disagree but that 's fine. I don't see why family time is not possible in the school holidays. The only thing that is changed is that foreign holidays are more expensive.

I think role modelling and setting examples and having principles are not always easy but ultimately worth it :D

that is a good idea

still thinks two weeks is a mad amount of time to take them out of school and kind of teaching them to bend the rules but having that condition that they can't miss any days of school is good, have they ever had to not go because of that?
We started it when they were 5 so they are use to it. They know that if their attendance drops to below 90% they are in trouble regardless because that is the school rules. They know the facts that can only miss 15 days a of school so 10 will be taken up by holidays. The only other time they miss is if they are sick or have hospital appointments.

are you going to disney land mate......were planning on a big family one our 40ths...going with other family members too tho and the bairns will be 12 and 5

Those are from Disney Land Paris in March. We're going to Disney World in Florida next month. It's my 40th on Saturday too actually, feeling old. :lol::lol:

There's a thread on here if you need any help booking and stuff, it's a lot to plan and if you don't plan it can be a bit shit.

if you do it more than once in a year whats the worst that can happen do social services really get involved?

Depends if you get caught - my ex seems to get away with it pulling my daughter out of school on one of her bipolar adventures.

My son lives with me and my lass and we never pull him out of school for cheap hol benefits.

When they've got exams coming though you do need to try and set an example, letting him go off for two weeks (when they hardly seem to have any weeks in school as it is!) just doesn't feel right

Aye, I reckon saying no is probably the right call there like. They could go in the June following their GCSEs - still cheap and no need to miss any school.

I know they can, but it's a disgrace a council can fine you.

No discretion should ever be allowed.

It's either law and punishable by that - or not.

Sometimes kids (especially when they're young) have to miss school due to illness. Some kids are ill more than others, one of my kids has been off loads due to illness, others haven't been off at all.

I'd not want to take them out for the 2 years of GCSEs like , the exams have changed so much since I was at school and there's loads more work to fit in. I'd be finding out when exams finish may/June and take advantage of going then when all the stress is out of the way

I think role modelling and setting examples and having principles are not always easy but ultimately worth it

Holidays in the UK are more expensive during the school holidays too.

You're entitled to your opinion and should do what you feel is right.

I'd not want to take them out for the 2 years of GCSEs like , the exams have changed so much since I was at school and there's loads more work to fit in. I'd be finding out when exams finish may/June and take advantage of going then when all the stress is out of the way

I think that's what my brother is doing, my nephew has his GCSEs this year and they're going away in June, sounds sensible to me.

i dont get people who go away just to do this...sit get pissed all day and lie in the sun whilst kids run amok

I don't get it either - my kids would hate it. I might change my mind when they're older though, but for now it seems strange - I want them to enjoy themselves, that's why we go as a family.

Back