Taking a toddler swimming

Has your dad never been snorkelling, swam in blue seas with the sun beating down, jumped off a boat on holiday and all the stuff we do as kids? He's missed out imo so again imo, it has affected him. Also not being able to swim is quite dangerous living in a coastal town ( if you live in Sunderland that is) where the river and coast play a big part.
Of course hes never done that cause he cant swim, it really hasnt affected his life at all.

my daughter is 2 and I’m taking her swimming leading up to our summer holiday, never taken her before and wanted to know, are arm bands or those buoyancy vests best. Or none at all?

Ps: I f***ing hate swimming
Both to start with. A vest alone will leave her face down in the water constantly. Just armbands isn’t ideal either. Make the first time fun and safe then ditch the vest or arm bands as she enjoys herself. Get her jumping in and kicking her legs and you’ll be surprised how quickly she can learn to control herself in the water.

Read summit a few years ago that statistics show that you are less likely to drown if you can’t swim. Not sure how true it is like. It’s probably because you go nowhere near it if you can’t swim.
Oh, where’s @Frijj?!?!? We need some stats. :(

Of course hes never done that cause he cant swim, it really hasnt affected his life at all.
Jetski? Get both buzzes in one thing then

Last edited:
my daughter is 2 and I’m taking her swimming leading up to our summer holiday, never taken her before and wanted to know, are arm bands or those buoyancy vests best. Or none at all?

Ps: I f***ing hate swimming
Either will do the job, but what's the littlun going to use?

I've just spent the morning in the pool with my 1 year old and we use one of those rings with her - ideal and she can get about the pool in it no bother
Could not take me eye off the boy for a second like. He was away!!!

Mind he was 13. Am joking he was about one as well he used to love it. TBH honest it was crap when he went to arm bands and jumping all owa me.

Read summit a few years ago that statistics show that you are less likely to drown if you can’t swim. Not sure how true it is like. It’s probably because you go nowhere near it if you can’t swim.
Oh, where’s @Frijj?!?!? We need some stats. :(

Jetski? Get both buzzes in one thing then
Nope, he cant swim i thought id mentioned it. Im sure he sleeps ok at night tho knowing that hes never jetski'd or snorkelled :lol:

If you go down the armbands route get the ones like these rather than the inflatable ones as you can remove the rings as she gets more confident in the water

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delphin-42...SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=delphin+swim+discs

I'm assuming Everyone Active will keep it open as long as they possibly can as they love their cash

The rings are what swimming teachers use, rather than bands.

Personally at that age we used one of them rings where they sit in it, then went to the disks, only used vests at Center Parcs for the slides etc.

Back