Taking a toddler swimming

my daughter is 2 and I’m taking her swimming leading up to our summer holiday, never taken her before and wanted to know, are arm bands or those buoyancy vests best. Or none at all?

Ps: I f***ing hate swimming
Your gonna look stupid with armbands on mate, just stay in shallow end.

Seriously we had a rubber ring with like a nappy bit in the bottom.

You’re missing what I’m saying.

I take my little’un to the Marriott in Durham for lessons. There’s at least 4 different swim franchises in the area all serving, I’d estimate around 1000 kids a week combined.

Comparing to Newcastle Road, haway man. Haven Point in Shields always chokka, Washington always chokka, aquatic centre busy, others routinely busy.

High Street, what decade are you talking here? Leisure Centre has also been closed years. All replaced with newer, better facilities.
You've gone from 3 in a mile to a 12 mile radius regardless of decades .We aren't talking facilities we're talking bairns wanting to swim rather than parents thinking they want to .How many kids are running round the house saying please please take me swimming ?
I didn't need my mam to persuade me .

It’s brand new??!?
Aye, 10 years I think. Not sure what the problem is but the roof leaks badly which can't be good for the timber frame and is shite for spectators

You've gone from 3 in a mile to a 12 mile radius regardless of decades .We aren't talking facilities we're talking bairns wanting to swim rather than parents thinking they want to .How many kids are running round the house saying please please take me swimming ?
Many many more swimming organised lessons and clubs than used to, it's changed since we were kids

I suppose I can only speak from my own experience so 1 child that I know of. 100%.

It sure what your point is.

My kids don’t understand the concept of water, but I still think teaching them to swim is a good idea.

They don’t ask me to take them anywhere out of the house, but I still take them outside.

What a load of shit. My dads 66 and still cant swim and it hasnt affected his life at all. If theyve left it too late at 2 then what do you suggest ? Just never go in a pool again ?
Has your dad never been snorkelling, swam in blue seas with the sun beating down, jumped off a boat on holiday and all the stuff we do as kids? He's missed out imo so again imo, it has affected him. Also not being able to swim is quite dangerous living in a coastal town ( if you live in Sunderland that is) where the river and coast play a big part.

It sure what your point is.

My kids don’t understand the concept of water, but I still think teaching them to swim is a good idea.

They don’t ask me to take them anywhere out of the house, but I still take them outside.
More point was, which people miss then tell me I'm missing the point, yes teach them to swim but I don't think it's high on their list of things to do like it was at a time when we had less options .It's driven by parents now
My son asks me to go lots of places ,footy today for example ,hawthorn beach last week ,Seaham secret bunker week before etc .Sometimes he needs suggestions

Has your dad never been snorkelling, swam in blue seas with the sun beating down, jumped off a boat on holiday and all the stuff we do as kids? He's missed out imo so again imo, it has affected him. Also not being able to swim is quite dangerous living in a coastal town ( if you live in Sunderland that is) where the river and coast play a big part.
I done just what you mention with my 12 and 14 year old in lanzarote last year, brilliant and they loved it.
Snorkelling
Kayak in sea
Jumping of the catamaran into the deep sea ( son dived so I obviously had to match it, over rotated and snarly fucked me back :))
Briilaint fun.

*ps any parent who doesn’t ensure their kid can swim at an early age need to have a f***ing word.

Aye, 10 years I think. Not sure what the problem is but the roof leaks badly which can't be good for the timber frame and is shite for spectators

Many many more swimming organised lessons and clubs than used to, it's changed since we were kids
Organised lessons aren't the same really are they ?
Doesn't scream fun at you

He’s probably never left his home town.

Who said it was the first time? We’ve taken her loads but because we’ve got a 1 yr old too it’s not always logistically possible. You come across as a bit of an arrogant self righteous prick to be honest although I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that you didn’t mean it the way it came over.
Nicest thing anyone has said to me in ages :)
Having seen the consequences of drowning and near drowning I do believe it's up there as being the most essential life skill we can pass onto our spawn. It's one of the skills that could save their lives and that of their friends and getting them wet very early on and on a weekly basis if possible. It's up there with the green cross code.

Sounds nice ,lots of people will get nowhere near warm blue seas .He may have missed a few things not swimming ,he may have rode motorbikes all his life and unless you do you've missed out too .I've done both and it's motorbikes every time .It's just choices that's all .Hardly affecting anyone .Plenty good swimmers drown unfortunately and plenty don't fall in our dangerous river

Another disagreeing with you
You say a fear of water is good for you and bad for you in one post
Don't think kids are that fussed about pools and stuff like previous generations ,yeah they should be able to swim but it's not that great jumping around in a cold pool or freezing sea . We did it because there was not much to do
I should have said respect not fear.
Kids love the water at all ages and even now.
Some of the daughters friends (18 now) were never taken swimming (other than as lessons at school) as kids and are missing out big time now as they are going off as teenagers all over the place.
It was the same parents doing this kind of stuff with the kids and the confidence and independence these kids are showing is proving it's worth around water and other aspects of life.

Back