Taking a 4% pay cut to work two days less per week

By interrupted I mean can't do what they want when they want cos they've got jobs. Shift patterns, working away for a few days, working weekends, just normal stuff that comes with having a job. I'd sometimes like to pop to the beach on a pleasant Tuesday afternoon but work tend to not support such things. I'd class that as work interrupting my life somewhat.
See what you mean but most of that would be done with reasonable notice I take it? ,so you still plan stuff and do something rather than nothing.Working in a typical 9-5 set up all my life ,theres loads in doing the same and doing very little with themselves away from work.Which is where I was coming from .

This.

Having to work to pay bills and support you life is an interruption in itself.
Yeah but its work to live not work to sit on the settee ;)

Last edited:
See what you mean but most of that would be done with reasonable notice I take it? ,so you still plan stuff and do something rather than nothing.Working in a typical 9-5 set up all my life ,theres loads in doing the same and doing very little with themselves away from work.Which is where I was coming from .

Popping out for a lovely walk in the sun on a whim doesn't really have the same je ne sais quoi if you've got to book the time in to do it a month in advance does it?

Yeah but its work to live not work to sit on the settee ;)

I sit on the settee because I have to do work. When I'm not working I'm doing things I enjoy.

Been on the settee all morning but I'm taking a break at half two and I'm going to take the dog down the river and hoy a ball about for a bit.

Popping out for a lovely walk in the sun on a whim doesn't really have the same je ne sais quoi if you've got to book the time in to do it a month in advance does it?
I don't get you ,I cant pop out when I want to either .I Know when im working and when im not ,unless you're a brain surgeon in St Ormonds or head of MI5 most of us have a timetable regardless or shifts ,weekend rotas etc .The settee bit was a general comment about doing something instead of ,not relating to your downtime

Pretty sad for the fella really. Must have had nowt else going on in his life.
Depends how old you are when you get a decent pension. I’m 47 and will be “retiring” in 3-6 years (depending on our appeal) I’ll have a month off then go into self employed plumbing and heating. I’ll most likely end up working Monday to Friday but what else is there to do when all my mates will be still grafting for at least another decade? My kids will be pretty much up by then and doing their own thing and our lass just makes me do housework and shit so fuck that noise. I’d rather be hoying a boiler in and getting paid for it than being nagged into making the beds or washing the bathroom for nowt.

Last edited:
I only work 3.5 days a week now, plan to reduce it further too. Time is more important then money to me, there is so much to do in life and work gets in the way. Unless of course your work is also your passions.

Depends how old you are, I’m 47 and will be “retiring” in 3-6 years (depending on our appeal) I’ll have a month off then go into self employed plumbing and heating. I’ll most likely end up working Monday to Friday but what else is there to do when all my mates will be still grafting for at least another decade? My kids will be pretty much up by then and doing their own thing and our lass just makes me do housework and shit so fuck that noise. I’d rather be hoying a boiler in and getting paid for it than being nagged into making the beds or washing the bathroom for nowt.
If you still need the money then fair enough. I'm more talking about if you don't and you just do it to fill in your time. I'll never understand that mind set as doing absolutely anything you want (no matter how large or small) will always trump going to work. Simply put, if I could have the same income as I have now but without having to turn in to work ever again then I'd snap your hands off.

All the same if not better. Private healthcare, 28 days holiday and all that shite.

it's only a 12 month contract like so I wouldn't be too bothered.

The job spec said full time, three days a week, 9am-6pm...hmm. I will have to get back to you on this.

Dinnar?
Not read the whole thread but 3 days a week 9-6 is not full time. 28 days holiday is though.

I think without any further info that you’ve been told the full time rate and your pay and holidays will be prorated. Have you checked this with your new employer?

Not read the whole thread but 3 days a week 9-6 is not full time. 28 days holiday is though.

I think without any further info that you’ve been told the full time rate and your pay and holidays will be prorated. Have you checked this with your new employer?

Haven’t even interviewed for it yet so we’ll have to see.

The recruiter floated it by me as “it’s less money than you want but it’s only three days a week and it’s £XXk a year”.

Haven’t even interviewed for it yet so we’ll have to see.

The recruiter floated it by me as “it’s less money than you want but it’s only three days a week and it’s £XXk a year”.
Yeah, but they often quite part time jobs as £Xk a year FTE (full time equivalent).

Even just looking at the holidays. 28 days holidays for three day’s work a week works out as 46 holidays a year if you were working full time. That sounds unlikely.

I’d check with the recruiter before you interview.

If you still need the money then fair enough. I'm more talking about if you don't and you just do it to fill in your time. I'll never understand that mind set as doing absolutely anything you want (no matter how large or small) will always trump going to work. Simply put, if I could have the same income as I have now but without having to turn in to work ever again then I'd snap your hands off.

I work 4 on and 4 off and get Regular 12 day leave. You find yourself just doing shit during the week when you’re off and everyone else is at work. It sounds fantastic but it got old quick. It’s why I plumb on my days off. I suppose I would think differently if I hated my jobs but I really don’t mind them.

Yeah, but they often quite part time jobs as £Xk a year FTE (full time equivalent).

Even just looking at the holidays. 28 days holidays for three day’s work a week works out as 46 holidays a year if you were working full time. That sounds unlikely.

I’d check with the recruiter before you interview.

Of course.

It's just that the role should be paying quite a bit more than it is which suggests to me that the relatively low salary is because of three days a week thing.

Last edited:
I work 4 on and 4 off and get Regular 12 day leave. You find yourself just doing shit during the week when you’re off and everyone else is at work. It sounds fantastic but it got old quick. It’s why I plumb on my days off. I suppose I would think differently if I hated my jobs but I really don’t mind them.
Everyone is different though. I no for certain i wouldn’t get bored.

Back