Takeover News/Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
quite possibly, or they’re trying to screw the price right down now. I’m not sure SD is in a very good position tbh
We saw his negotiating skills on STID 2 with the Grigg fiasco. I wouldn’t write anything off with this looney.
Does anybody actually think a takeover will happen? I’ve not spoke to anyone who does
Outside of this forum? No. They think it will happen eventually but not any time soon. The big unknown is the impact of Covid 19.

Last edited by a moderator:

STID looked a hatchet job to me to run with the narrative that Methven went in and showed them the light.
Agree with this, Methven was portrayed as being ruthless and demanding efficiency, not necessarily bad traits, but to look at where we are now his methods look archaic (granted a global pandemic hasn’t helped like).

How was it obvious? How much have you seen of their working day?

It wasn't lasses in the ticket office or poor sods in the PR department who were responsible for that - it was those at the top
Mate! Please! This is what good looks like. You’ve witnessed a business master class from a financial genius and PR guru.
My f***ing arse.

With the new salary cap he won't. We'll turnover more cash than we're able to spend. Donald's plan from day 1 appears to be to make us a sustainable league 1 club. This cap helps that.
In League 1 virtually all revenue comes from fans turning up for home games. Anyone in business will tell you that the most expensive part of running the business is staff wages and associated costs, wages, employers NI, holiday pay, sick pay, pensions, it goes on and on. (but equally they are the strength of the company!). That's why Leagues 1+2 voted not to finish the last season. No crowds=virtually no income, but still the same costs. The chances of spectators returning anytime soon to the SOL has just taken a nosedive today. I can't imagine the club is covering their costs, or anywhere near it at the moment.

I agree about them, absolutely but the poor sods behind the scenes were made to look a lot worse than they likely are on STID imo.

Until Donald and Methven came in, the dealings I had with the club, which to be fair was mainly the ticket office was always spot-on. Chris Waters, in particular was and is a real credit to the club.

As I say, STID looked a hatchet job to me to run with the narrative that Methven went in and showed them the light.
Not once did I see him tell anyone how he wanted to fix it. Not once did I see him offer any kind of positive reinforcement to his staff or pass on how they could do it differently and better. No strategy, no individual defining of roles or responsibilities, nothing, zip, nada. If he did do anything off camera it will have been due to him being shit scared of looking a dick if it didn’t work.
I've also had the pleasure of being in his company (albeit briefly) on three occasions and, well less said about that the better.

Called Sunderland fans "assholes" on one occasion
That doesn’t surprise me one bit.

In League 1 virtually all revenue comes from fans turning up for home games. Anyone in business will tell you that the most expensive part of running the business is staff wages and associated costs, wages, employers NI, holiday pay, sick pay, pensions, it goes on and on. (but equally they are the strength of the company!). That's why Leagues 1+2 voted not to finish the last season. No crowds=virtually no income, but still the same costs. The chances of spectators returning anytime soon to the SOL has just taken a nosedive today. I can't imagine the club is covering their costs, or anywhere near it at the moment.
Aye, the current situation definitely makes it all harder. I dont think anyone can disagree with that tbf.

I agree about them, absolutely but the poor sods behind the scenes were made to look a lot worse than they likely are on STID imo.

Until Donald and Methven came in, the dealings I had with the club, which to be fair was mainly the ticket office was always spot-on. Chris Waters, in particular was and is a real credit to the club.

As I say, STID looked a hatchet job to me to run with the narrative that Methven went in and showed them the light.
I think the fact Chris is still there and is highly thought of says it all about the man

Barnes apparently isn't great at fact checking based on his update on Total Sport tonight. Not aware of the basics on where the loan was from, it seems.
he's not a great reporter, he's not even a great commentator
If this is the case then Barnes can hang his source out to dry.
FWIW, I would believe Barnes over Madbobby, one works for the Bbc and has to check his facts, the other is a loon with a variety of claims which have been inaccurate.
One might be a loon (perhaps two) - working for the BBC is no great shakes either, they can be as lazy at reporting actual facts as the next company. Why let facts get in the way of a good story. But yeah Bob, well he's a legend in his own mind.
s

So thick you wrote it twice. nice one
Dear oh dear. Given some of your previous posts: (lack of grammar, punctuation, spelling and well, common sense, all springing to mind) you are in no position to call anyone else out. However I must acknowledge a marked improvement since your return. Amazing what a couple of weeks with a qualified teacher can do for people.

Loving your work - keep it up

Last edited:
I just tried to catch up but I'm at a loss.

Best I can tell from a quick read across two boards and twitter is we've gone from Barnes saying we're in a period of exclusivity and everyone being fairly confident that's true, to a man called Bob who is a friend of fan-of-facts Farage and who posts inaccurate things in public but says correct things in private though no-ones allowed to say what the true bits were even after the fact when it's presumably public knowledge, saying it's off so everyone's despondent?

What a weird and stupid roller-coaster, I'll check back in next week for what I'm sure will be another thrilling instalment.

Last edited:
If I was Mr Moneybags looking to buy SAFC, i'd see straight away, that as it stands with covid, there is not a chance of breaking even, never mind making a profit. I'd see a majority share owner who probably can't keep funding the club for much longer, and 2 minority share owners, one who has no money, and one who doesn't seem to want to part with his money, though we can't be sure of that, Mr Sartori may be putting money into the club. So, even before looking at any books, you would surmise that the club can't be far off the point where it is trading whilst insolvent.

I'd try and get into talks about buying the club, and if I can, then it may mean that there is actually nobody else trying to buy. Once you're doing your due diligence you will find out how close to the wind SAFC is sailing. If things are dire, I would drag it out for all it's worth, hope the club goes bust, and buy it from the Administrator, or buy cheap from desperate owners saving myself quite a bit of money. Not good for the fans, possible 10 point deduction, but good for me. Not a low risk strategy for me, but it's a punt worth taking, because the upside could be huge.

The question is, is this what's happening now?

I'm standing by to be shot down on this. 😎

If you deliberately left the club to go into administration and a points deduction which led to relegation, just to buy the club on the cheap, would you have many customers left?

Fuck all management by Bain. Took the money and tossed it big time he did.
I’d always give Methven credit for going in there and telling them just how it is.
After that tho- he was a shitshow

i still wonder why people cannot just let Bain go, he was brought in to do a job and as much as we hated the job he had to do he did it well, possibly the only high earner at the club who WAS good at his job, unfortunately it was to cut as much to the bone as possible, yes he was ruthless and showed little to no care or thought to what happened to people after his cuts were made but with his remit he could not afford to show any.

on the subject of costs for league one clubs etc, how the hell can they afford to play games in the new season yet could not do the same to end last season?
the costs have not altered as testing is required just the same as far as i am aware, unless some benefactor keeps gifting the lower leagues some free testing gear and test kits...or have i just somehow missed some major news to help the lower leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back