Tado/Nest/Hive thermostat & TRVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the wiser anarl. Scheduler is a piece of piss and can just bark instructions to google to turn it on when needed as well. Haven't bothered with the TRV's as the cost will mount up.
I was lucky got the hub, thermostat and two TRVs for just over £100 last Feb. Then bought 4 more TRVs for the same amount. I wouldn’t have bothered if it wasn’t for WFH. But the boiler is on more, so I want that room by room control.
You’re right about the app, it is spot on.

We used to use a Hive but switched to Honeywell, as the Honeywell reconnects if you lose wifi, the Hive you had to physically reset it. Like on Saturday when power was restored the Honeywell bounced back.

I've also got the Wiser/Drayton system with central control hub and smart TRV's on all rad's. System is excellent overall, individual rooms can have their own set temp as well as each room being switched off via app so can help save money if not in use. While everything can be done via the app there's also a plus/minus feature on the smart TRV's so rads can be adjusted by the person in the room who doesn't have access to the app. If anyone is after this system looks out for some deals as I did manage to get a significant saving(possibly up to 50%). I'm not sure I would have paid full price for the system as that would have been roughly £500!

I've got the Honeywell home TR6 wireless thermostat, it's the best on the market and the only who is already involved in heating!

Don't get any you have mentioned, you will be disappointed!

Got nest for the heating and hive for the lights/sockets.
Had hive a few years now and it's really good being able to do any settings via the app or boost etc. My only criticism of it is the history log of the heating is only recorded for just over a week. You should be able to go on the website and pull out data going back as long as you want.

Actually another criticism is we couldn't add the underfloor heating system to it when we had the kitchen done so had to have yet another one ( heatmizer I think) put on that

Last edited:
Hive here. It’s fine but as others have said I want to be able to only hear part of the house, but I have to heat the whole thing. It’s good I can take the thermostat up to my office when I’m working but it still heats downstairs.

Looked into different zones but it was going to cost an arm and a leg. I don’t have the radiator valves and they’re summat like £60 each. I have too many radiators.

Last edited:
Don't have any smart thermostats but it's now on my list of things to do after recently going away for a few days and forgot to turn the heating off.

Me Mam has the Honeywell smart thermostat which means I can help control her heating from 350 miles away. Both her and my Dad couldn’t work out the thermostat and boiler controls in their last home. Now it is all in one, I have taught her the basics, boost etc, but can set the schedule for her. Makes my life so much easier.

Hive in our house. Is useful but I'd like to get the TRVs in cos the temperature can differ quite a bit in different rooms.

I got the British Gas bloke to install it. Took him 3 hours, a new box for the wall out of his van and multiple calls to his gaffer so I'm glad I did.

Roughly how much do people reckon they can save per year with radiator values through the house?

In winter I can use about £100 a month in gas for heating. Wondering how long a TRV system would take to pay for itself.

Roughly how much do people reckon they can save per year with radiator values through the house?

In winter I can use about £100 a month in gas for heating. Wondering how long a TRV system would take to pay for itself.
Our Wiser system reckons 17% saving over the last three months. I can’t tell as the prices are so volatile. I will be installing the next 4 TRVs over the next couple of weeks. I’ll check gas usage after that.

I wanted a purely wireless option and out of total convenience I put a Salus unit in, I would advise anyone to avoid these at all cost, they’re cheap for a reason. The app is atrocious.
I’m looking at the Tado ones at the minute with the trv heads.

How easy is it to install?

I got a plumber to do it. Wired into the boiler, TRV's on each radiator that you can control on the radiator as well as app and control panel. Not sure on savings but I like being able to set different rooms at different temperatures. Especially for keeping our babys room hot but not the rest of the house.

Nest for our house, though I pretty much use it as a standard thermostat/timer.

Like Philips Hue lights, when we got them it seemed like a good idea, until I discovered it can't cope with more than one person living in the property, i.e for Hue lights would come on if I came home, or go out if I did, if the wife (no) and child were at home they were plunged into darkness (yes they could just turn them back on). Pretty sure Nest was the same, it only learned my schedule, resulting in the heating going off when they were in. I'm sure Google/Philips have resolved this by now, but I've not bothered it look.

I got a plumber to do it. Wired into the boiler, TRV's on each radiator that you can control on the radiator as well as app and control panel. Not sure on savings but I like being able to set different rooms at different temperatures. Especially for keeping our babys room hot but not the rest of the house.
We already had a lot in place. We were able to remove the existing boiler control and replace it with the Hub. It was simple. Unscrew the first one and put the new one on the industry standard back plate. I wanted to do it, but my wife didn’t want me to do it. When the electrician came round he said my wife was right.

The TRVs are easy. Unscrew the current ones and replace. Links easy with our APP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back