T20 World Cup qualifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleem Dar

Striker
Start in March, with the following teams:

Group A
Afghanistan, Netherlands, Canada, Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Bermuda, Denmark, Nepal.

Group B
Ireland, Kenya, Scotland, Namibia, Uganda, Oman, Italy, USA.

I really don't see the point in 16 teams trying to get into 2 spots. Of which both will be taken by Ireland and the Netherlands. Might as well just give them two the places.

However, I will be supporting Scotland from Group B and Denmark from Group A.

Group A
Afghanistan, Netherlands, Canada, Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Bermuda, Denmark, Nepal.

Group B

I really don't see the point in 16 teams trying to get into 2 spots. Of which both will be taken by Ireland and the Netherlands. Might as well just give them two the places.

why will they be taken by them two?

Strongest Associate/Affiliate teams by a long long way. It's akin to asking a couple of League 1 teams to play in the FA Cup qualifiers. Only Scotland and Afghanistan could come close. They'll top their groups winning every game and meet in the final (if I've worked it out right) whereby they're both guaranteed a place in the tournament proper. I'm well aware that in a one-off knock-out game they could slip up but given the players they have, and experience they have, I can't see it.

eddyfinn said:

And even if they dont the other countries live for tournaments like this.

Gerraint Jones will be trying to get PNG through.

Aleem Dar said:
Strongest Associate/Affiliate teams by a long long way. It's akin to asking a couple of League 1 teams to play in the FA Cup qualifiers. Only Scotland and Afghanistan could come close. They'll top their groups winning every game and meet in the final (if I've worked it out right) whereby they're both guaranteed a place in the tournament proper. I'm well aware that in a one-off knock-out game they could slip up but given the players they have, and experience they have, I can't see it.

Will Dwayne Leverock be playing for Bermuda?

20/20 format closes the gap between teams immensely and I wouldn't say Ireland and the Dutch are that far ahead

Group A

Group B

Ha'way man, it's like saying the FA cup should only be for the premiership/championship. The more the merrier I say.

I would've thought the USA couch would find some baseball rejects and try and hit their way into the finals. The batters would be ok with the switch but the pitchers would be fu*ked, asked to run up and bowl instead of standing there and throwing. Be interesting to see though.

20/20 format closes the gap between teams immensely and I wouldn't say Ireland and the Dutch are that far ahead

Have to disagree, but we'll see. As Tom said, a lot of the countries live for the chance to even be in the qualifiers. And certainly some of them are improving - the UAE are doing well in the ICC Interncontinental Championship.

Either way, I hope Coetzer does well.

Ha'way man, it's like saying the FA cup should only be for the premiership/championship. The more the merrier I say.

I would've thought the USA couch would find some baseball rejects and try and hit their way into the finals. The batters would be ok with the switch but the pitchers would be fu*ked, asked to run up and bowl instead of standing there and throwing. Be interesting to see though.

Most of the smaller teams are made up of Pakistani and Indian ex-pats man!

USA preliminary squad: Sushil Nadkarni (capt), Aditya Mishra (vice-capt), Orlando Baker, Adil Bhatti, Ryan Corns, Akeem Dodson (wk), Muhammad Ghous, Elmore Hutchinson, Naseer Jamali, Asif Khan, Andy Mohammed, Nauman Mustafa (wk), Japen Patel, Abhimanyu Rajp, Gowkaran Roopnarine (wk), Usman Shuja, Timothy Surujbally, Steven Taylor (wk).

Loads of American sounding names there! ;)

I take it that the runners-up go into our group?

Edit - just found confirmation on the ICC site that that's the case.

Last edited:
Have to disagree, but we'll see. As Tom said, a lot of the countries live for the chance to even be in the qualifiers. And certainly some of them are improving - the UAE are doing well in the ICC Interncontinental Championship.

USA preliminary squad: Sushil Nadkarni (capt), Aditya Mishra (vice-capt), Orlando Baker, Adil Bhatti, Ryan Corns, Akeem Dodson (wk), Muhammad Ghous, Elmore Hutchinson, Naseer Jamali, Asif Khan, Andy Mohammed, Nauman Mustafa (wk), Japen Patel, Abhimanyu Rajp, Gowkaran Roopnarine (wk), Usman Shuja, Timothy Surujbally, Steven Taylor (wk).

That's me point though. Get the farm boy baseball rejects and teach them how to play, they might get somewhere then.

thought that was a US anti terrorism list at first :oops:

Daft to say it's nailed on Holland and Ireland, anything can happen in t20, you just need one player to blast 30 off 15 or take a few quick wickets and there's no time to recover.

Noticed somebody said Diva had been asked to play for Italy, I thought I read that he was playing for them. In that case they'll be dangerous if he's in form.

I remember playing a friendly against Bermuda a few years back when they toured the North East. They were absolutely bonkers if I recall!

these guys all sound like yanks to me.. to be fair, a handful is a start, get some interest in the american side, it'll take off no doubt, obviously it'll never be baseball but in such a huge country even if only 2% take an interest that's still pretty massive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back