Sydney

It's actually a bit of a scandal. There is so much blatant corruption but they get away with it. Basically property developers wanted their hands on the cross. They were friends of the then NSW premier. He used one incident of a 'one punch' killing (lad hit and fell on to pavement) to deecree Sydney was too violent and needed cleaning up. Introduced these lock out laws which mean you have to be in a venue by 1:30am. Knowing fine well that would kill off the late night scene around the cross. Businesses folded. Developers cashed in. And the place is very different now. A crying shame.
I heard that it is also the drug scene that has contributed to the lock out area. Big issues with people completely out of it. Need ID to go anywhere. Need to have not had a drink too. And I think it might be midnight to enter anywhere. Didn't affect us because we were happy with a meal and a drink and then back to our hotel for a drink , gone are the days when we wanted to be out till the early hours.

Brilliant marra, where would you recommend for a Friday/Saturday night?
Friday I would be around the CBD and you will get the post work crowd. Bristol arms on Sussex street has a canny rooftop. Mojo record bar, Lobo plantation, Baxter Inn. Loads others too. Then the Ivy.
Saturday - loads of choice really. Will get a good crowd at Coogee pavillion for late afternoon drinks. Then taxi to Surry hills and perhaps down to the Rocks.

Try the Public House Petersham , see if they have an event going on.

Or

Sydney Events & Things to Do | Concrete Playground Sydney

Friday I would be around the CBD and you will get the post work crowd. Bristol arms on Sussex street has a canny rooftop. Mojo record bar, Lobo plantation, Baxter Inn. Loads others too. Then the Ivy.
Saturday - loads of choice really. Will get a good crowd at Coogee pavillion for late afternoon drinks. Then taxi to Surry hills and perhaps down to the Rocks.
My son and daughter both worked CBD but it wasn't their fave place for drinks. Surrey Hills is recommended though and the Coogee Pav I really liked but young people like it too. :p

Last edited:
leeds are playing western sydney wanderers at bankwest stadium (parramatta) on saturday night if you're really desperate :)

I heard that it is also the drug scene that has contributed to the lock out area. Big issues with people completely out of it. Need ID to go anywhere. Need to have not had a drink too. And I think it might be midnight to enter anywhere. Didn't affect us because we were happy with a meal and a drink and then back to our hotel for a drink , gone are the days when we wanted to be out till the early hours.
Drug problem around the cross was mostly skag heads or more recently ice. That is still there and will take longer to get rid of as the social housing is still there. But they will eventually push that out to somewhere else. They don't want commoners around the millionaires.
'Recreational' drugs in the CBD are rife but I doubt that had a bearing. The reason for the lock out laws was purely motivated by money and greed.

Drug problem around the cross was mostly skag heads or more recently ice. That is still there and will take longer to get rid of as the social housing is still there. But they will eventually push that out to somewhere else. They don't want commoners around the millionaires.
'Recreational' drugs in the CBD are rife but I doubt that had a bearing. The reason for the lock out laws was purely motivated by money and greed.
The lockout laws were put in place to stop alcohol and drug fuelled violence. As I understand it from talking to people in Sydney, anyway. I know there are campaigns to change it again.

Crystal is the drug we saw evidence of and heard of. ( Is this known as ice too?)

It's actually a bit of a scandal. There is so much blatant corruption but they get away with it. Basically property developers wanted their hands on the cross. They were friends of the then NSW premier. He used one incident of a 'one punch' killing (lad hit and fell on to pavement) to deecree Sydney was too violent and needed cleaning up. Introduced these lock out laws which mean you have to be in a venue by 1:30am. Knowing fine well that would kill off the late night scene around the cross. Businesses folded. Developers cashed in. And the place is very different now. A crying shame.
Could you not still King Hit someone before 1.30am like?!

The lockout laws were put in place to stop alcohol and drug fuelled violence. As I understand it from talking to people in Sydney, anyway. I know there are campaigns to change it again.

Crystal is the drug we saw evidence of and heard of. ( Is this known as ice too?)

No. That is what they claimed the lock out laws were put in place for.

Could you not still King Hit someone before 1.30am like?!
Exactly. Everyone knew that would not make a shred of difference. But they ploughed on because of the real reason behind it. As above.

In fact the lad who was killed which sparked it was hit around 11pm or something.

Last edited:
No. That is what they claimed the lock out laws were put in place for.
Fair enough, it is interesting to learn about. I was talking to someone in the entertainment/hostelry business so only got their take on it because the drugs and lock down impacts on their businesses and lives. I can believe there is more to it.

Been a few years since I was there but I thought it stank like in the city. Bondi was class on a hot day. Did the walk over the harbour bridge an all. Love Australia me.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I really enjoyed the buzz around "The Cross", and by day it's usually quieter, but at night there was a definite change in the atmosphere around the place.
Not a threatening kind of atmosphere, but a certain edginess. (though I suppose the same can be said about The RLD in Amsterdam, whereby it seems the atmosphere changes from daytime to nighttime)
Drugs is the big problem for both KX, and the RLD in Amsterdam.

Back