Sydney

Sydney isn't the night out it used to be. Thanks to lock out laws. Kings cross has died a death.

Do the Bondi to Coogee walk. Coogee is better than Bondi IMO so end in Coogee. Get beers in the Clovelly hotel on way then round to Coogee pavillion rooftop. Great views. Head to the Coogee Bay Hotel anarl.
Go to Manly on the ferry. Great beach and some good pubs there too.
Head to the Rocks. Great old pubs there. The Glenmore is class with great views of the Opera house from the rooftop. Lord Nelson has great beers. Hero of Waterloo is class and was built by convicts. The Mercantile is rough and ready but a good night with live music.
In CBD there's loads of good bars. Try The Baxter Inn. Ramblin Rascal. I forget the names of most I used to go to mind. Be loads that have sprung up since I moved home too. Other areas with good pubs - Surry Hills, Darlinghurst. Could head out to Newtown if you like it a bit more alternative. Club wise go to The Ivy. Pretentious but plenty of lasses.
It's AFL and NFL season now so could catch a Swans or Roosters/Souths game if there's one on.
Drink Little Creatures pale ale. It's class.
If you're stopping at a hostel tag along with some of the organised pub crawls or tours they usually do. Good way to pick up some blart.
Tourist stuff like climb the bridge. I never did it but it's supposed to be good. Taronga zoo is actually brilliant.

Last edited:
Sydney isn't the night out it used to be. Thanks to lock out laws. Kings cross has died a death.

Do the Bondi to Coogee walk. Coogee is better than Bondi IMO so end in Coogee. Get beers in the Clovelly hotel on way then round to Coogee pavillion rooftop. Great views. Head to the Coogee Bay Hotel anarl.
Head to the Rocks. Great old pubs there. The Glenmore is class with great views of the Opera house from the rooftop. Lord Nelson has great beers. Hero of Waterloo is class and was built by convicts. The Mercantile is rough and ready but a good night with live music.
In CBD there's loads of good bars. Try The Baxter Inn. Ramblin Rascal. I forget the names of most I used to go to mind. Be loads that have sprung up since I moved home too. Other areas with good pubs - Surry Hills, Darlinghurst. Could head out to Newtown if you like it a bit more alternative. Club wise go to The Ivy. Pretentious but plenty of lasses.
It's AFL and NFL season now so could catch a Swans or Roosters/Souths game if there's one on.
If you're stopping at a hostel tag along with some of the organised pub crawls or tours they usually do. Good way to pick up some blart.
Tourist stuff like climb the bridge. I never did it but it's supposed to be good. Taronga zoo is actually brilliant.
Brilliant marra, where would you recommend for a Friday/Saturday night?

Currently over in Australia for a month on a trip around it, currently in Sydney for 3 nights, just asking the wise SMB of good places to go for a group of young lads on a day time and night.

Round the harbour then on to
Kings Cross (24 hour sports bars and hookers all owa).

We used to enjoy a more sophisticated Sunday afternoon and evening listening to jazz round the bars of Woolahra.

Edit: Kings Cross :(

Last edited:

I'd heard that. Such a shame as it was a great night out.
Hostel I lived in has been tidied up a touch.:lol:
Property Report for 6-8 Barncleuth Square, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

To the OP, get yourself to Woolloomooloo for a pie.
Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Famous for Meat Pies and Hot Dogs

If you go to manley on the ferry, don't stop at the beach on the side where the ferry lands, cross town (five/10 mins) and go to the other beach.
I made that mistake the last time I was there (and I’d been before). Brought a mate out telling him how lovely manly was and when we arrived we went to the beach where the ferry stops, me thinking this isn’t as nice as I remember, him looking at me going really??

Sat there for large part of the day until about an hour before we were gonna go back I went for a little walk and saw the real beach! Doh. :lol:

Brilliant marra, where would you recommend for a Friday/Saturday night?
Melbourne ;)

Last edited:
When I was in Sydney in 1992, Kings Cross had 24 hour bars and was always lively at all hours of the day and night.
Many back-packers seek out cheap digs at "The Cross" but there can sometimes be an edginess to the place.
Sydney is my 2nd favourite city, after New York.
Wherever you end up - enjoy it.

The Rocks is touristy, but a few very old and decent bars and places to eat there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fast boat from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay then ferry from there to Manly and a day on the beach if you have the weather as it’s currently winter.

I had a shit in the Opera House. :p

I was completely blown away by the OH.
I'd previously only ever seen it on tv, and was amazed by the size of the place when I got up close to the building.

We stayed at Rushcutters Bay and got the train into the centre Sydney each day.

Bondi to Coogee rather than the other way round.
Better off going to Manly, my favourite place in Sydney with Shelly beach at far end of the bay via Cabbage tree bay, great for snorkelling.
Rather than doing the bridge walk save your money as one of the Circular quay hotel has a fantastic viewing roof top for photos.
Kings Cross use to be good, but not so good now, but l would still go next time l'm there.

Best breakfast at The Squadron Club Kiribilli just across from circular quay.

I'd heard that. Such a shame as it was a great night out.
Hostel I lived in has been tidied up a touch.:lol:
Property Report for 6-8 Barncleuth Square, Elizabeth Bay NSW 2011

To the OP, get yourself to Woolloomooloo for a pie.
Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Famous for Meat Pies and Hot Dogs
It's actually a bit of a scandal. There is so much blatant corruption but they get away with it. Basically property developers wanted their hands on the cross. They were friends of the then NSW premier. He used one incident of a 'one punch' killing (lad hit and fell on to pavement) to deecree Sydney was too violent and needed cleaning up. Introduced these lock out laws which mean you have to be in a venue by 1:30am. Knowing fine well that would kill off the late night scene around the cross. Businesses folded. Developers cashed in. And the place is very different now. A crying shame.

there's loads of pubs/bars from king st wharf and up through barangaroo which are packed on fri/sat nights.
Like Bob says there's loads of smaller bars popped up in the city but they're mostly tucked away so if you don't know them they can be hard to find.
Surry Hills as a mix of both decent pubs and smaller bars, lots of craft beers on offer.
King St. Newtown has taken over from the Cross as it's out of the 'lock out' area

this article seems fairly up to date on nightlife

it's f***ing expensive these days mind :)

Back