Swindon Away 98’ Memories

Bamber

Striker
This weekend is the first time we will have played at the County Ground in 22 years. In 1998 we played them in May and then again in August.
The May game was the final game of the season where we could have gone up automatically had Boro not beat Oxford. Phillips scored an absolutely unbelievable goal and the entire ground was full of Sunderland fans. Pitch invasion at the end and Reid made a speech. This was my first away game, what a introduction to following the lads :lol: must be a few on here who went to that one? Even the friday night the town was full of red and white

Amazing weekend, stopped in Wootten Bassett, was in some nightclub in Swindon and the staff had to go out to the off licence for more spirits for us as they ran out. For some reason all we were drinking that night was pints with Drambuie chasers! All Sunderland in the nightclub apart from a few local birds, my mate got a shag

Watching in their end with thousands of others and ending up on the pitch with Reidy on the mic at the end. Oh and we were run out town and barred from returning by the Coppers in Staines the night before.
Most of the weekend is a blur mind.

Last edited:
Yep was there for the last day of the season one. Great day even though Boro won. Probably because Boro were always going to win really so never expected to be going up automatically

Parked up at the Bulldog pub for a pint and a bite. We walked to the ground and queued up. Corner Shop's "Brimful of Asha" was stuck on the Tannoy (that song always takes me back). Lad in front of me in the queue asks the PC "is that a pepper spray?". The PC says "Yes it is". "Put some on me pie" he says, stuffing a half eaten meat pie under his nose. The copper said to me quietly "I'll be glad when you lot get f**king promoted". We got in and had the stand that home season ticket holders had been moved out from. I was sat next to a young lass (16-ish) and her dad. She looked terrified surrounded by so many heathens so I started talking to her. Told me about how they'd been moved to get all of us in and she was chatty all game. "Why are they dressed as Arabs?". "Why are they dressed as Elvis?". She certainly enjoyed the afternoon, apart from the score, but she and her dad were philosophical about it. Probably the first time she'd seen a daft carnival atmosphere at a game. It was good. Then we all walked on the pitch and out of the ground.

It was pretty much the perfect away game. Up to the M4 and along to Swindon. Easy parking, a bite and pint, short walk to the ground. A cracking game with (esp) SKP at his best, good company and a leisurely scenic drive down home through Marlborough, Tidworth and Salisbury.

A great day. One of my favourites. A small soft spot for Swindon.

Went on the Members Club bus, Cathy Kerr was running it, canny day, stayed at some hotel on the outskirts.
Remember blokes with radios listening to the boro game.

I was there. Went on a supporters bus. That massive system of roundabouts near the ground, in fact everywhere, was a sea of red and white.

I remember it was completely over policed. Cops in full riot gear everywhere. Cops with dogs everywhere. Helicopter overhead for hours.

Walking through one of the filter lines of cops in riot gear I mentioned to one that was complete overkill. I was told to 'fuck off''.

We got off the minibus and were welcomed by a load of coppers dressed in full riot gear. Couldn't get a drink for love nor money around the ground. After the game we managed to stop off in some little town for a few pints and a good laugh..

Back