Swimming

Quite keen to start swimming once or twice per week at the aquatic centre.

What sort of work outs do you do in swimming? 50m fast intervals? or just steady for an hour etc. I know you'll mix it up but just wondering where to start and for relative comparisons to running sessions etc

Will go along either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday!
Also i guess the medium lane? Won't be as fast as regular swimmers but presume the slow lane is for pensioners etc?

I do sets of 250m.

10 x lengths of crawl, 10 x lengths of breaststroke, 10 lengths of backstroke (If I have a lane to myself, don't be that twat who does backstroke in a busy pool). I try to push the crawl/backstroke and the use breaststroke as recovery. Build up your stamina and pace as you go, work on your technique.

Sorry if TLDR:
Ioho needs more than once a week or the body, sly b*stard that it is, forgets. It's like starting over every time.
If I have time off it takes a while to get back into because it's so reliant on proper technique, and I'm owld. That's if doing it right & improving matters.
Also the body (sbtii) gets used to what you do and the effect is lessened.
So don't do the same every day.
For me, when I'm coming back (don't call it a comeback, etc) I try to get used to doing the lengths, keeping relaxed, so no blasting the shit out've it. Work on technique before owt else.
Once I can swim a decent time/distance I change things around then.
Warm-up, drills, main thing I'm doing (don't wanna say 'sets'), drills, cool-doon.
All time constrained obvs due to other commitments.
If 3 times a week I'd have a short, medium and long, in different orders every week. Cos the body is a sly b*stard.
Even the "long" wouldn't be that long. Mine would usually be 60/70 ish Ls crawl with every 4th an off stroke in IM order.
Always relaxed unless intervals on short day usually, mebees the medium.

Some lad had a lucky escape this morn swimming off roker , started to get into difficulty drifting out to sea , coastguard called . Was a group of 7 swimmers so possibly a club , or social group
Sorry if TLDR:
Ioho needs more than once a week or the body, sly b*stard that it is, forgets. It's like starting over every time.
If I have time off it takes a while to get back into because it's so reliant on proper technique, and I'm owld. That's if doing it right & improving matters.
Also the body (sbtii) gets used to what you do and the effect is lessened.
So don't do the same every day.
For me, when I'm coming back (don't call it a comeback, etc) I try to get used to doing the lengths, keeping relaxed, so no blasting the shit out've it. Work on technique before owt else.
Once I can swim a decent time/distance I change things around then.
Warm-up, drills, main thing I'm doing (don't wanna say 'sets'), drills, cool-doon.
All time constrained obvs due to other commitments.
If 3 times a week I'd have a short, medium and long, in different orders every week. Cos the body is a sly b*stard.
Even the "long" wouldn't be that long. Mine would usually be 60/70 ish Ls crawl with every 4th an off stroke in IM order.
Always relaxed unless intervals on short day usually, mebees the medium.
Few times I swim I rely on what little power I have , I know my technique could definitely be better but just can’t be arsed at my age to try change it , if was in some club and coached then prob have different attitude about that

Last edited:
This was always my go to in order to loose weight...

Nothing complicated like the previous poster, just 50 lengths (no break) of Breast stroke 4 times a week. Just a little front crawl as my neck would often get hurt.

Some lad had a lucky escape this morn swimming off roker , started to get into difficulty drifting out to sea , coastguard called . Was a group of 7 swimmers so possibly a club , or social group

Few times I swim I rely on what little power I have , I know my technique could definitely be better but just can’t be arsed at my age to try change it , if was in some club and coached then prob have different attitude about that
Sun city for triathlon

Putting rescue services in danger because you think your unsinkable is unacceptable.. Enjoy your exercise ...but be responsible for yourself ... And others who may have to save you...

I’ve only done it twice mate at backend of summer . Had walk down there today and noticed couple in sea . Wasn’t sure if you need the swimsuit gloves /socks if do it over the winter ?
I think you'll be cold regardless what you wear.

aquatic centre setup prior to xmas was spot on. double width lanes and restricted the amount in each lane. and slots pre-booked. absolutely ideal rather than the pot-luck setup before - driving over, paying, getting changed, just to find it packed and not able to swim comfortably. same at the raich carter.

hope they return to that arrangement.

aquatic centre setup prior to xmas was spot on. double width lanes and restricted the amount in each lane. and slots pre-booked. absolutely ideal rather than the pot-luck setup before - driving over, paying, getting changed, just to find it packed and not able to swim comfortably. same at the raich carter.

hope they return to that arrangement.
never thought I'd miss sitting in the place all day for a competition but I have

Anybody go North Sea swimming ?

interested in doing this
a regular indoor swimmer but that gone now
what gear u need I got a cheap mid wet suit down to knees but reckon I would need something of much higher quality as I pretty soft and don’t like cold 🥶

interested in doing this
a regular indoor swimmer but that gone now
what gear u need I got a cheap mid wet suit down to knees but reckon I would need something of much higher quality as I pretty soft and don’t like cold 🥶

I'm interested in this too. There appears to be a few 'clubs' around the area. I say clubs as mostly just folks who stay in touch on a facebook page or similar. There's south shields sea swimmers, Roker Bathers, Ice Guys (which looks like a more serious off shoot of the Roker bathers) who are training for triathlons etc. The Roker Bathers and shields swimmers seem more for just anyone who wants to come along and dip, Bob about or swim seriously and chat etc. There's a proper club near tynemouth with its own clubhouse on the beach, Panama but currently closed to new members.

I've no idea what kit I'd need and basic shit like where to keep my car keys etc whilst I'm freezing to death in the water.

I wonder if any of the Shields or Roker swimmers get on here and could offer some basic advice...

I'm interested in this too. There appears to be a few 'clubs' around the area. I say clubs as mostly just folks who stay in touch on a facebook page or similar. There's south shields sea swimmers, Roker Bathers, Ice Guys (which looks like a more serious off shoot of the Roker bathers) who are training for triathlons etc. The Roker Bathers and shields swimmers seem more for just anyone who wants to come along and dip, Bob about or swim seriously and chat etc. There's a proper club near tynemouth with its own clubhouse on the beach, Panama but currently closed to new members.

I've no idea what kit I'd need and basic shit like where to keep my car keys etc whilst I'm freezing to death in the water.

I wonder if any of the Shields or Roker swimmers get on here and could offer some basic advice...

You can buy a tow-bag / bouy / float thing for about £15, it's a safety thing mainly you've probably seen people with them. They have a waterproof pouch inside for keys and that. I've got one it's spot on. You get a belt and that with it.

The ice-guys aren't really for swimming as such, it's more cold water therapy i.e just in your skimpies having a slow breathing session and a 10 minute dip. It's great for recovery and mental health etc..

There's a cross over I think between some of them and the fausto/Roker swimming club which are the ones that actaully swim out to the pier and stuff.

For that your looking at wet suit, goggles, swim cap, and tow-bag as a minimum (somoene might correct me on that). The wet suit isn't just for warmth but also helps with bouyancy .

I've been out a couple of times during the summer in my own , got a wet suit off gumtree for £20 and went for it. Just go in off Roker beach inside the piers and it's relatively safe. I just went about 30m out and then swam left to right parallel with the beach. Probably could touch the floor . The weather/wind/current/swell makes a massive difference, so I only went alone when it was like a mill pond , but there's always others there swimming about.

You can get neoprene booties and gloves and stuff which would certainly help at this time of year. I don't think there's much you can do to prepare for the cold. It's Baltic

Back