Swimming

Been wearing myself out training cardio and weights everyday ( full of aches and pains that are not recovering ) so went swimming . 1200m in 40 mins steady away breast stroke . Think it actually helped my knee 👍

Was mixing in about 40 lengths for cardio and to take the weight off my knees. Just found out breast stroke is one of the worst thing you can do for knees ☹️

Cant mate , only get about 1/2 length and im knacked, never learned to do it relaxed. Can really motor strong in breast stroke thought .
Easy enough to do once you've got a rhythm going. Try breathing every third stroke so you alternate which side you're breathing on. I find it's easier that way and you're not gasping for air by pushing it to 4 or 6 stroke. Start by doing 4 length reps and build up from there.

Easy enough to do once you've got a rhythm going. Try breathing every third stroke so you alternate which side you're breathing on. I find it's easier that way and you're not gasping for air by pushing it to 4 or 6 stroke. Start by doing 4 length reps and build up from there.
Given the BS is off the agenda ill have to learn . Ill try your advice 👍
The leg motions are fairly set and instinctive though after 55 years ☹️

Last edited:
Given the BS is off the agenda ill have to learn . Ill try your advice 👍
The leg motions are fairly set and instinctive though after 55 years ☹️
I used to struggle to do too much freestyle but then the youngun was in the local swimming club and used to watch/listen to his coaches and picked it up from them. When I properly get into swimming and go a couple of times a week I can quickly get up to 80-100 lengths in a session, all freestyle. Would struggle to do 30 now tho' 😂 I love swimming and wish I could stay motivated to do it all the time.
GTN do some good instructional videos

Last edited:
I used to struggle to do too much freestyle but then the youngun was in the local swimming club and used to watch/listen to his coaches and picked it up from them. When I properly get into swimming and go a couple of times a week I can quickly get up to 80-100 lengths in a session, all freestyle. Would struggle to do 30 now tho' 😂 I love swimming and wish I could stay motivated to do it all the time.
GTN do some good instructional videos

Im on holiday in a couple of weeks and theres a pool so I'll get chance to have a go , thanks

Cant mate , only get about 1/2 length and im knacked, never learned to do it relaxed. Can really motor strong in breast stroke thought .
Try using a pull buoy some of the time, you won't have to worry about your legs and sinking so you'll be more relaxed and you can concentrate on your arm stroke. It'll also give you an idea of the correct body position.
If you're knacked after half a length it's probably down to your breathing, make sure you're exhaling when your face is in the water and not holding your breath.

Try using a pull buoy some of the time, you won't have to worry about your legs and sinking so you'll be more relaxed and you can concentrate on your arm stroke. It'll also give you an idea of the correct body position.
If you're knacked after half a length it's probably down to your breathing, make sure you're exhaling when your face is in the water and not holding your breath.
Feel like i got a decent arm stroke and can swim for a long time non stop just using arms with little leg input
Seem to get lazy with my legs, how hard do you work legs for the best results?
I usually do 60 x 25m lengths in around 35 mins, but my legs don't do too much unless i overtaking or really pushing,find it much more tiring when legs are at full pelt. Would be good to get a steady balance between the 2

Feel like i got a decent arm stroke and can swim for a long time non stop just using arms with little leg input
I usually do 60 x 25m lengths in around 35 mins, but my legs don't do too much unless i overtaking or really pushing,find it much more tiring when legs are at full pelt. Would be good to get a steady balance between the 2
I don't kick very hard, just for balance

I'm the same as D.A, mainly using my legs for balance and to keep them at the surface to reduce drag. As they have the biggest muscles, using your legs a lot will tire you out. Have a search for a 2 beat kick, which will get your arms and legs coordinated.
It's good to mix up your sessions though, and swim at different speeds every so often to develop your 'swimming gears' e.g. do some lengths 'all out' with your legs at full pelt. I usually do some kicking as part of a warm up as well.

£5.30 for swimming at the aquatic!

Forgot how tiring front crawl is, mind my technique was probably all wrong. Mostly did breast stroke with a bit front crawl and back stroke

Is that for a 50 minute session? It is at Riach Carter and Silkworth. Expensive game, especially for a big family. Pre covid you could stop in for as long as you want. Can't see it ever going back that way now

Back