Swimming

I like diving off cliffs and stuff on holiday and I don't mind scuba-diving/spear-fishing, but swimming lengths of a pool is tedious. Even more tedious than an exercise bike or treadmill, which is completely pointless when you can just go run/ride a bike in the real-world and get a better workout, some scenery and fresh-air while you're at it. But even they are redeemed by the fact that you can listen to music or watch TV while you're doing it. I can't think of anything more tedious than swimming in an indoor pool, actually.
Harsh, but right, never understand people on a treadmill especially in summer

Harsh, but right, never understand people on a treadmill especially in summer
There's people at my actually who will ride a bike to the gym to use cardio equipment in the height of summer. It's f***ing weird. Atleast with the treadmill/exercise bike you could argue that you're able to watch TV or listen to music while you're doing it. With swimming though, all you can focus on is your breathing, your stroke rate, and adjusting your goggles. It's shit. I went to the the Aqua-tech (sic) almost daily during summer/winter 2008. It is a period of my life I would rather forget.

I like diving off cliffs and stuff on holiday and I don't mind scuba-diving/spear-fishing, but swimming lengths of a pool is tedious. Even more tedious than an exercise bike or treadmill, which is completely pointless when you can just go run/ride a bike in the real-world and get a better workout, some scenery and fresh-air while you're at it. But even they are redeemed by the fact that you can listen to music or watch TV while you're doing it. I can't think of anything more tedious than swimming in an indoor pool, actually.

This. Sea swimming or don't bother.

I know. Did you ever go running?
now and again went last week got a couple mates joining gym within next week who will go 2or3 times a week so I will be more motivated one of them wants to go to gnr next year not sure I have that in me but im going to start grafting.

Takes me right back that does.....was one of the initial members of the SunCity tri club....great memories.
Do triathletes wear heart-rate monitors and analyse the aerodynamic/streamline properties of their swimsuits in excruciatingly painful detail in order to better negotiate the chlorinated water, and brand a number upon themselves with a marker pen prior to swimming, as they seem to do for everything else?

Do triathletes wear heart-rate monitors and analyse the aerodynamic/streamline properties of their swimsuits in excruciatingly painful detail in order to better negotiate the chlorinated water, and brand a number upon themselves with a marker pen prior to swimming, as they seem to do for everything else?
I don't. Sometimes get numbers on my body.

How come you're not now?

I was a competing triathlete for about 8 years back in my 30's......the fittest i've ever been in my life, but that was 20 years ago. It's hard work if you want to be competitive but i loved it at the time. Spencer Smith and Simon Lessing were the top guys around at the time.......

I was a competing triathlete for about 8 years back in my 30's......the fittest i've ever been in my life, but that was 20 years ago. It's hard work if you want to be competitive but i loved it at the time. Spencer Smith and Simon Lessing were the top guys around at the time.......
Never heard of them. Been in the club a year now. I'm not great like, need to improve my swimming technique. I'm a decent runner though

I know where you are coming from mate, but sometimes people swim cos they are injured (less impact swimming) but want to retain some level of fitness, also does no harm to mix things up using different muscles etc rather then just running only, but aye it can be pretty boring :lol:

Back