Swimming

What I can never understand is when a person you have caught up, effectively lapped, has a breather and then pushes off just as you are coming in
Doesn’t matter what speed you're at you should always let that person go. Problem on a Wednesday is there's no medium lane. So you're mixing the abilities.

Do they not change the layout through out the day ?
Not on the Wednesday. There's a slow, medium and fast lane on any other day because they use the width of the pool. On a Wednesday when it's 50m lengths they only have slow/fast lane and the diving pool for families. It goes back to where they had to reduce the number of lanes when using full lengths because of health and safety. I think that was bollocks though and an excuse to reduce staffing.
It’s crazy, surely, whether you are fast/slow or whatever, it is better to swim in peace.
It causes more problems because people overtake. I've got no problem with being overtaken, but it supposedly goes against the social distancing rules. If they had 3 normal size lanes with people who swim at the same pace in each there probably would be no overtaking.

Last edited:
What I can never understand is when a person you have caught up, effectively lapped, has a breather and then pushes off just as you are coming in
I'm sure I've posted about it on this thread before but lane-swimming etiquette is appalling pretty much everywhere I've ever swam. Medium lanes are usually the worst though, full of people that should be in the slow lane.

I'm sure I've posted about it on this thread before but lane-swimming etiquette is appalling pretty much everywhere I've ever swam. Medium lanes are usually the worst though, full of people that should be in the slow lane.
It is just ridiculous. Plus, if you have been plugging away for a while, naturally you are tired but you then have to speed up to pass people and it just ruins the whole thing. Whole thing is just daft.

Also, swimming in the ‘fast’ lane doesn’t make you fast, you need to look at who is in there and then decide. I remember swimming at Hackney lido once, I was just getting back into it and there are some absolute monsters in there. I did a couple of lengths and realised I was going to be blowing out my arse soon enough so dodged into the medium lane before I spoiled it for everyone else.

It is just ridiculous. Plus, if you have been plugging away for a while, naturally you are tired but you then have to speed up to pass people and it just ruins the whole thing. Whole thing is just daft.

Also, swimming in the ‘fast’ lane doesn’t make you fast, you need to look at who is in there and then decide. I remember swimming at Hackney lido once, I was just getting back into it and there are some absolute monsters in there. I did a couple of lengths and realised I was going to be blowing out my arse soon enough so dodged into the medium lane before I spoiled it for everyone else.
I'm definitely a medium lane swimmer but sometimes the fast lane only has one or two people in it compared to 6+ in the medium so I'll dodge across and just make sure I stop every few lengths to let the actual fast people get past. I've had some looks and comments for overtaking people in the medium lane before but it clearly never even occurs to those people to move down a lane.

Just had something through from our local pond for open water swimming, haven't been able to go yet this year but apparently they're suffering badly from blue green algae and a snail/ duck parasite that gives you swimmers itch. Think I'll stick to middle lane swimming for a while now!

Its highly amusing in the public swimming sessions to see the utter disdain on the regular swimmers faces as familes dare take up space in the pool. These people seem to think they can have a lane to themselves and no one can venture inside and its always up to the other person to give way and get out of there way

Took my 10 year-old daughter on Monday for the first time since the start of last year. Honestly thought I was going to have to teach her again. However once she remembered how to breath she was away. Aquatic centre pool is still set up as it was under the restrictions too.

The poster who said his wife would be swimming the channel , who was it again?

a lass from Roker (think was Roker) swam channel week or two back so assume it was her

Back