Swimming

You can buy a tow-bag / bouy / float thing for about £15, it's a safety thing mainly you've probably seen people with them. They have a waterproof pouch inside for keys and that. I've got one it's spot on. You get a belt and that with it.

The ice-guys aren't really for swimming as such, it's more cold water therapy i.e just in your skimpies having a slow breathing session and a 10 minute dip. It's great for recovery and mental health etc..

There's a cross over I think between some of them and the fausto/Roker swimming club which are the ones that actaully swim out to the pier and stuff.

For that your looking at wet suit, goggles, swim cap, and tow-bag as a minimum (somoene might correct me on that). The wet suit isn't just for warmth but also helps with bouyancy .

I've been out a couple of times during the summer in my own , got a wet suit off gumtree for £20 and went for it. Just go in off Roker beach inside the piers and it's relatively safe. I just went about 30m out and then swam left to right parallel with the beach. Probably could touch the floor . The weather/wind/current/swell makes a massive difference, so I only went alone when it was like a mill pond , but there's always others there swimming about.

You can get neoprene booties and gloves and stuff which would certainly help at this time of year. I don't think there's much you can do to prepare for the cold. It's Baltic

Thanks mate that's really brilliant information, greatly appreciated. Yes I've seen the bouy things, didn't occur to me they'd double as a key store type thing too, excellent. The ice guys activity actually sounds exactly what I'd be interested in, getting down to hypothermia body temperature and controlled breathing etc. I've had a look at the open swimming society website too but must revisit as it has so many different sections about survival, water temperatures, warming up safely and a whole lot more.

Think I will do a bit more reading then maybe contact the ice guys social media. I've been thinking about this for a long time and then there was a piece on country file about it tonight.

Like @tunstallhill i only been Out twice and that was very end of the summer , first time for me . Once with my mate who is in tri club, other time on my own .
i just have a 2nd hand old wetsuit , goggles n cap . it was Roker outside fausto , Main thing I found was disorientation , thought I was swimming about 100m out and waves were battering me , so stopped and sure enough I stood up and water was only up to my knees 😆.
May try again come easter time as don’t have any winter kit, unsure if need the boots and gloves ? At moment I’m trying to rest foot injury .
As tunstall said others seemed to have the bright floats, prob helps you if get in any trouble , I should get one really . I’m just an average swimmer , you should go for it mate life too short 👍

Thanks mate that's really brilliant information, greatly appreciated. Yes I've seen the bouy things, didn't occur to me they'd double as a key store type thing too, excellent. The ice guys activity actually sounds exactly what I'd be interested in, getting down to hypothermia body temperature and controlled breathing etc. I've had a look at the open swimming society website too but must revisit as it has so many different sections about survival, water temperatures, warming up safely and a whole lot more.

Think I will do a bit more reading then maybe contact the ice guys social media. I've been thinking about this for a long time and then there was a piece on country file about it tonight.
I took up open water swimming last year but in an inland small lake.
If you buy a wetsuit for it make sure it's a proper swimming one, it makes the world of difference. First time I went I had .y windsurf suit on and was knackered after a couple of hundred metres. The proper suit is much better.
The last swim I did was a sunset swim in September using Glo sticks. Even then the water was freezing and I got out after a couple of 350m laps.
It's different all together from pool swimming I think. Sighting whilst swimming is a technique you need to learn as soon as possible to make it smooth. There's loads of YouTube vids on it.

Did first sea swim of year yesterday morn, warm n sunny inland but was thick fog down seaburn, water wasn’t too choppy , enjoyed it but took an age to thaw out . Wouldn’t have went in alone when so foggy mind

Did first sea swim of year yesterday morn, warm n sunny inland but was thick fog down seaburn, water wasn’t too choppy , enjoyed it but took an age to thaw out . Wouldn’t have went in alone when so foggy mind

Wet suit and that ? We were in for a cold water dip in me skimpies on Saturday, soon as the sun went in it was Baltic.

Been for a proper swim in Druridge bay and woodhorn lakes recently and it's not too cold

Seen the photo on fb! How far did you do? Back and forth along coast or in harbour?

Seen the photo on fb! How far did you do? Back and forth along coast or in harbour?
I’m assuming T.A put it on fb , seems to love the social media these days 😂

Was seaburn mate near fat Buddha , when I went in last year was roker between the piers which tends to be calmer , I think anyway . I do next to nowt these days so was nice just to get bit exercise , dunno how people go in there all year round without wetsuits mind , balls to that .
fancy it yourself mate ?
Wet suit and that ? We were in for a cold water dip in me skimpies on Saturday, soon as the sun went in it was Baltic.

Been for a proper swim in Druridge bay and woodhorn lakes recently and it's not too cold
Aye wetsuit mate ,just a 2nd hand one , was in for half hour so no chance without one

Last edited:
I’m assuming T.A put it on fb , seems to love the social media these days 😂

Was seaburn mate near fat Buddha , when I went in last year was roker between the piers which tends to be calmer , I think anyway . I do next to nowt these days so was nice just to get bit exercise , dunno how people go in there all year round without wetsuits mind , balls to that .
fancy it yourself mate ?

Aye wetsuit mate ,just a 2nd hand one , was in for half hour so no chance without one
Do you bother with a tow float?
The lake we used to use last year didn't bother with them and you could touch the bottom in at least half of the lap.
Thinking of trying out another one this year but they have mandatory tow float policy.

Do you bother with a tow float?
The lake we used to use last year didn't bother with them and you could touch the bottom in at least half of the lap.
Thinking of trying out another one this year but they have mandatory tow float policy.
I used one for first time yesterday mate , like say was foggy so prob wise so we could see each other , also gives you summit to hold onto if suddenly got cramp which I’ve had once before and could hardly swim . Downside is it creates a bit drag and you don’t feel as free . Each to their own suppose , first time I’ve swam outdoors this year so I dunno what most people do, the other two had tow floats also

I used one for first time yesterday mate , like say was foggy so prob wise so we could see each other , also gives you summit to hold onto if suddenly got cramp which I’ve had once before and could hardly swim . Downside is it creates a bit drag and you don’t feel as free . Each to their own suppose , first time I’ve swam outdoors this year so I dunno what most people do, the other two had tow floats also
Not swam in or out this year yet but hope to get down the lake this weekend.
Be interesting to see how the lungs are working since Covid in January.

I'm sure I read they create very little drag, it's in your heed

Do you use one mate ? First time I had , it was the others who told me I needed one of in sea
Na, I've got one but I'm a man.
The Tow Float is pulled behind while swimming attached to a waist belt and short leash, and floats out of range of arms and kick zone. The ultra-light Tow Float produces virtually zero drag and features two inflation chambers for added safety in the unlikely event that one chamber fails while in use.

Back