Swimming

did my first swim in a wetsuit last friday , in north sea, felt bit weird/frantic, not helped that havent swam for 6 months
sooner can get in a pool somewhere once a week the better

did my first swim in a wetsuit last friday , in north sea, felt bit weird/frantic, not helped that havent swam for 6 months
sooner can get in a pool somewhere once a week the better
Did similar a few weeks back but not in the sea, there's a local open water swimming club near us based on a small man-made lake.
The first swim wasn't easy at all and felt I could barely swim but at least in most parts in was neck deep so I could stand up.
Went to the pool a week or so later and realised how out of condition I was and found even twenty lengths a struggle.
built up more lengths in the pool over a couple of weeks and can now do 100 lengths without much bother and find the lake swimming much easier and I'm able to do 1K+ swims and increasing each time I go out. Sea swimming would be different again though and I wouldn't head out without one of those tow buoys on which I don't bother with at the lake.
The thing I still need to master is sighting as that can knacker you out if you don't get the technique right.

Booked up for a twilight swim at the lake tomorrow night starting at 7:30 and the course will be lit with floating fire sticks. Forecast is good down here with clear skies and 20 deg temp so looking forward to that.

a few had them tow buoys on
like say was my first time , just wetsuit and cap , was lucky as was a pretty calm and sunny day

a few had them tow buoys on
like say was my first time , just wetsuit and cap , was lucky as was a pretty calm and sunny day
Have you got a propper swim wet suit or a watersports one? My first time was in my old windsurfing suit and it was massively restrictive. I've now got a proper open water suit and it makes the world of difference.

Have you got a propper swim wet suit or a watersports one? My first time was in my old windsurfing suit and it was massively restrictive. I've now got a proper open water suit and it makes the world of difference.
2nd hand off ebay but yeah its a proper one mate , only worn it once been sitting up in loft for over a year :D

anybody tried puma centre for a swim ? 25m but not many lanes so unsure if be bedlam and waste of time everyone in each others way

Washington decent they got pool split into 3 wide lanes 10 people per lane
Slow Med and fast 50 min sessions seems to be working fine

Quite keen to start swimming once or twice per week at the aquatic centre.

What sort of work outs do you do in swimming? 50m fast intervals? or just steady for an hour etc. I know you'll mix it up but just wondering where to start and for relative comparisons to running sessions etc

Will go along either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday!
Also i guess the medium lane? Won't be as fast as regular swimmers but presume the slow lane is for pensioners etc?

Last edited:

What sort of work outs do you do in swimming? 50m fast intervals? or just steady for an hour etc. I know you'll mix it up but just wondering where to start and for relative comparisons to running sessions etc

Also i guess the medium lane? Won't be as fast as regular swimmers but presume the slow lane is for pensioners etc?
I treat swimming like running. Build endurance and then work on speed.

I was looking forward to starting again now the aquatic is open. I'm finding it difficult to fit in though because how day to day life has changed this year. A 7am start instead of 7:30 would have made loads of difference.

I was looking forward to starting again now the aquatic is open. I'm finding it difficult to fit in though because how day to day life has changed this year. A 7am start instead of 7:30 would have made loads of difference.
Not sure if clubs use it earlier mate but I agree with what say to fit round work . Packed everything in but may get speedos back out For once a week

Swimming is my rest day from running or football so I tend to take it easy and just swim as many lengths as I can. Would usually swim a mile when time wasn't limited now I get about 50 lengths in.

Depends if it's your only form of exercise or you do it just for a fun or low impact exercise

Back