Swimming

I'm nursing an ankle injury from running and fancy getting back into swimming again. I used to go up to Castle View a couple of times a week but often experienced 'pensioner rage' with old fat women more interested in talking about what they were having for tea. They frequently didn't have a lane set up, but on a good night, I was managing just short of a mile.

Can any of the SMB resident amphibians recommend a decent pool to lane swim (evenings and weekends) where I won't be irked by dive bombing kids and owld fatties?! Cheers! :)

aquatic centre mate, although if going on a weekend always check as sometimes shut for swimming galas.
I'm in similar boat to you but wanting to keep some fitness by swimming twice a week. The aquatic has a great set up and there are some really good swimmers who get in . depending on when go it will have lanes set up for 25m (widths) or the full 50m. last couple of times ive gotten up to doing about 1.7mile in an hour

There's an early morning swimming club I think, could train with them.

You could also join Sun city triathlon club who train Tuesday and Thursday

Thanks - do they always have lanes open? I went ages ago and there was inflatable things all over. Might just have been because it had first opened, like.
was in last night mate and was fine, although pretty busy.. I did notice a sign saying its shut next weekend (17/18th) due to a gala, but its open this weekend so I may pop down early sun morning if not out sat night (or watch the pier t pier race instead). Managed to cycle there n back , although only 2.5 mile away, and swam 1.7mile in an hour, still a clart on compared to running mind

was in last night mate and was fine, although pretty busy.. I did notice a sign saying its shut next weekend (17/18th) due to a gala, but its open this weekend so I may pop down early sun morning if not out sat night (or watch the pier t pier race instead). Managed to cycle there n back , although only 2.5 mile away, and swam 1.7mile in an hour, still a clart on compared to running mind
Say hello!

Cheers for that - will give it a go!

Aye, it's about getting your head round doing something different, isn't it? Since my ankle's been knacked I've realised how convenient it is to just put on the running gear and go - anything else seems like a right pain in the arse. That's a canny distance - I'm hoping I can start to build up a swimming distance in the same way I was with running to make it feel a bit more competitive. :cool:

54 lengths in the aquatic , one hour exact, still can't manage to reach 2mile though (64 length). Doesn't replace running but still feel better for it

Got the canary yellow speedos packed and en route to the aquatic for an hour lane swimming, then couple of beers later tonight to cancel out all the hard work

54 lengths in the aquatic , one hour exact, still can't manage to reach 2mile though (64 length). Doesn't replace running but still feel better for it
is this the 50 meter lanes?

I had a class work out last night, started with 12 lengths, short break, 11 lengths, short break etc. Managed over 50 lengths before my arms gave up on me, about 1400 meters in 50 minutes.

is this the 50 meter lanes?

I had a class work out last night, started with 12 lengths, short break, 11 lengths, short break etc. Managed over 50 lengths before my arms gave up on me, about 1400 meters in 50 minutes.

Yes mate , was the 50m lanes . Wed and sat is 50m when I've been, other times it's been sectioned off into 25m, trying to do 2mile (3200m) in an hour but up t now keep fallin bout 300-400m short

I go on a Wednesday morning before work. Aquatic gets so busy of old people though.

not sure mate, some mechanism on the main pool was broke, was closed for 2 weeks , I went in last night and was dead compared to normal

I like diving off cliffs and stuff on holiday and I don't mind scuba-diving/spear-fishing, but swimming lengths of a pool is tedious. Even more tedious than an exercise bike or treadmill, which is completely pointless when you can just go run/ride a bike in the real-world and get a better workout, some scenery and fresh-air while you're at it. But even they are redeemed by the fact that you can listen to music or watch TV while you're doing it. I can't think of anything more tedious than swimming in an indoor pool, actually.

Back