Swimming

It'll get your arse up, giving you a better position.
Ah right so it does or can make you faster then, makes sense now , I always assumed it slowed you down (train heavy mentality :D), so was surprised it felt easier

You doin that Fausto tri tomorrow mate

Ah right so it does or can make you faster then, makes sense now , I always assumed it slowed you down (train heavy mentality :D), so was surprised it felt easier

You doin that Fausto tri tomorrow mate
I'm away tonight so won't be back in time. It's a great opportunity to try triathlon without breaking the bank or worrying about the distance.

I'm away tonight so won't be back in time. It's a great opportunity to try triathlon without breaking the bank or worrying about the distance.
Yeah I agree , great idea , would have done it myself if was fixed , hopefully they do couple next year

It'll be giving you less drag as your hips will be at the surface. You have to try and get in that position now without using the pull buoy. A common cause for your hips to sink is looking too far forward.

It'll be giving you less drag as your hips will be at the surface. You have to try and get in that position now without using the pull buoy. A common cause for your hips to sink is looking too far forward.
cheers, that makes sense now, i tend to look in the next lane if theres a MILF in there

were there any results online ?

Some good swimmers on this thread mind, all them lengths after long lay-offs (lays-off?) and mastery of breathing techniques. Only jealous joking. If I take even a couple of months off I'm fecked when I try to start up again, but I'm old. IMO important points are technique and relaxation. Work on those, read books, watch vids if you must. Many people seem not to care about doing it "right", they just want to say "I've done me XX number of lengths", (the milers are the worst). Don't become too reliant on aids as usually they put your body in a false position. Things like gloves or paddles are bad (for swimming but canny for some resistance training) unless your technique is perfect otherwise they'll cause injury. Just try to perfect your technique, relax and try to go a bit further or a bit faster gradually and mix it up and you'll make gains without thinking too much about it. Obvs IMHO.

Any advice on breathing/relaxing? The breathing every 3 strokes knacks me, only do 10 length sections.
Just use a breathing pattern that suits you, and you can always mix it up e.g. after a turn breathe every 2 for a few strokes until you've got you're breath back then switch to 3.
It usually helps to exhale slowly under the water, then just before you take a new breath empty your lungs out under water.

Breathe as often as is needed to be comfortable, it shouldn't be forced. Breathing out is as important as breathing in. Holding breath is very tiring when you're active. Breathing out shouldn't be sacrificed to get another stroke in. Head movements should be fluid and minimal to avoid upsetting the stroke. Breathing can be done in the hollow behind the bow wave caused by the head and technically below the surface (in crawl obvs). It can also be done with the mouth only partially out've the water.
Also the leg stroke should be long, fluid and coming from the hips. Putting too much effort into shakey legs is very tiring. Again IMHO.

Back