Swimming

Any tips!? My lungs feel shot after a few lengths
I have been trying for years on and off. Front crawl I just cant get into, blowing out me arse after few lengths so couple of breast stroke, then crawl etc. Then get bored after 20 lengths and think fk it. U really wish I could like it!

Contemplating a triathlon. First swim today in years. Breathing is all over the place. My general fitness is decent as I run and cycle a lot. Got some serious ours in the pool ahead of me to get this up to speed
Have a search for breathing drills to find some that suit you. Effortless Swimming do some really good videos, this is a decent one:

I do a drill to get me used to breathing on my weaker side by holding a kickboard at full arms length with the arm of my stronger side, other arm down by my side, kick, then breathe towards my weaker side. It's better with fins.

My daughter's swimming teach has them swimming on the third arm stroke to the opposite side of the arm that is out of the water. Seems to work well
Bilateral breathing? That's the ideal as it keeps you balanced and straight and keeps you comfortable breathing on either side, which is important for triathletes I guess, so they can see competitors either side of them. But if you find you need an extra breath at certain points you could take a breath after 2 then go back to 3, or do 2-3-2-3 etc.

Bilateral breathing? That's the ideal as it keeps you balanced and straight and keeps you comfortable breathing on either side, which is important for triathletes I guess, so they can see competitors either side of them. But if you find you need an extra breath at certain points you could take a breath after 2 then go back to 3, or do 2-3-2-3 etc.

Yeah I think that's what its called. She's a much better swimmer than me and she's only 8 :oops:

I do bilateral breathing (every 3) but only to stop any inbalances (tightness down one side etc) which would lead to more injuries , ive no idea what is best breathing pattern for out and out swimmers though

Contemplating a triathlon. First swim today in years. Breathing is all over the place. My general fitness is decent as I run and cycle a lot. Got some serious ours in the pool ahead of me to get this up to speed
join a local tri club then get coached ?

I do bilateral breathing (every 3) but only to stop any inbalances (tightness down one side etc) which would lead to more injuries , ive no idea what is best breathing pattern for out and out swimmers though

join a local tri club then get coached ?
Also your local pools should do technique improvement sessions.

I don't care about competitors, sighting is the most important.

Thanks all! Some good tips. Coaching seems like a good idea. Will have to try find a decent tri club near me. Currently living and working in West London, Serpentine isn't too far away...

Na, due to stop running again soon to do another rehab for strength. Hard enough to get the time to go for a run these days nevermind tri training. Dont reslly fancy it. You back like?

Na, due to stop running again soon to do another rehab for strength. Hard enough to get the time to go for a run these days nevermind tri training. Dont reslly fancy it. You back like?
No mate my hammy is fecked .... if i ever get over it i may go down the tri route, running only hasn't really worked out for me , too many injuries

SMB swimmers .. often see people using those floats between their legs , it is solely to get technique of arms/upperbody right ? does it also make you go faster due to less hip rotation eventhough not kicking legs ?

SMB swimmers .. often see people using those floats between their legs , it is solely to get technique of arms/upperbody right ? does it also make you go faster due to less hip rotation eventhough not kicking legs ?
Maybe faster but concentrates more effort in your core and upper body imho.

I felt I become a bit over reliant on mine and seemed to be blowing out of my arse when not using it.

Back