Swimming

Were you not always starving after going swimming as a kid? Ha
I'm always starvin mate , thats why need to exercise

Got a link? I wouldn't mind having a read of that, cheers.
no mate , was in a book ,

loads if google it mind - such as this :

THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS
Swimming isn't just a workout for your lungs, heart, and muscles; it also makes your body do the extra work of maintaining a balmy 98.6°F temperature while you're immersed in water that's usually at least 20 degrees cooler than that. It's a similar principle to the one that causes you to burn more calories just by being outside in the winter: Research suggests that your body will activate its brown fat stores when the temperature drops, revving up your metabolic rate in order to stay warm. And where a hot, sweaty workout can cause the aforementioned appetite-suppressing effect, a body immersed in water doesn't need to increase blood flow to the skin (and away from the digestive system) in order to regulate heat. For your stomach, it's business as usual—and that means hunger.

THE COLDER THE WATER, THE GREATER THE CRAVING
Multiple studies, including one from the University of Florida, have shown a correlation between swimming in cold water and coming out famished (despite the difference in calories burned between a cold-water swim and a warm-water one being negligible). In short, the colder you feel
when coming out of the pool, the more likely you are to make a beeline for the snack bar.

Of course, the effect that swimming has on your appetite has nothing to do with its effectiveness as a form of exercise—and on that front, it's one of the best there is, especially for people in search of a low-impact way to stay fit. But if you're watching your diet and don't want to overindulge, you can take the edge off the post-swim munchies by taking a quick, brisk walk to raise your body temperature before you chow down.

Last edited:
Done 1500 metres this morning. I'm not sure if I'm becoming a bit over reliant on using the pull bouy, or if I'm becoming quicker because of it. Feel like I'm blowing out my arse when I don't use it.

After a decent pair of goggles, mainly for indoor swimming but ideally ones I can wear outdoor at my local lido when it opens again next year. Are tinted ones the best compromise? Or am I better off having two pair, one clear/tinted, one mirrored/polarised? My current pair are clear but I sometimes get glare from the indoor lights.

After a decent pair of goggles, mainly for indoor swimming but ideally ones I can wear outdoor at my local lido when it opens again next year. Are tinted ones the best compromise? Or am I better off having two pair, one clear/tinted, one mirrored/polarised? My current pair are clear but I sometimes get glare from the indoor lights.
I use tinted for pool and outdoor.

Done 1500 metres this morning. I'm not sure if I'm becoming a bit over reliant on using the pull bouy, or if I'm becoming quicker because of it. Feel like I'm blowing out my arse when I don't use it.

Are you not just swimming the lengths without the pull buoy much faster? Do you do lengths with a kick board as well?

Are you not just swimming the lengths without the pull buoy much faster? Do you do lengths with a kick board as well?
I only use the pull bouy, not a kick board. That's what I was thinking, my speed has improved because of using the pull bouy? Therefore making me feel as though I'm working harder. If that makes sense.

I only use the pull bouy, not a kick board. That's what I was thinking, my speed has improved because of using the pull bouy? Therefore making me feel as though I'm working harder. If that makes sense.

Well you would expect to swim more quickly using arms and legs compared to arms alone but you'll also use oxygen more rapidly when using both so would feel tired more quickly. The other possibility is that you're not actually using your legs much when swimming without a float so you're getting more drag as the pull buoy will encourage you to keep a more streamlined body position.

been today, got down to doin a mile in 29-30mins now, although admit far easier in a25m pool compared to if open water swimming (which Ive never tried), luckily pool was pretty empty

been today, got down to doin a mile in 29-30mins now, although admit far easier in a25m pool compared to if open water swimming (which Ive never tried), luckily pool was pretty empty
You will probsbly have a wet suit on for open water swimming which makes you more buoyant.

Back