Swimming with dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have paid. It's actually something I have been meaning to watch (well, I thought about it but totally forgot about it when booking the tickets). We went to sea world the first time we went, so I've already contributed to their suffering in a way :(

I might get her to watch it when she's a bit older.
Dont mate, its a f***ing whitewash presented as journalistic fact. But its actually mostly bollocks and has been ripped to pieces by actual experts who don't have an axe to grind.

Did it in a "dolphinarium" :rolleyes: in Mexico in 2011. I wouldn't do it again. $300 for the two of us for probably not much more than an hour. We could have gotten 3 or 4 nights on the piss for that.

I went parasailing for the first time on that holiday, as well. Won't be doing it again.

We did. I think you are wrong that SeaWorld is a necessary evil. We can agree to disagree.
Matter of timing imo

20+ years ago, Seaworld were the ones telling the public to be nice to these creatures. Now people want to do that, we can probably lose the water-zoos

Dont mate, its a f***ing whitewash presented as journalistic fact. But its actually mostly bollocks and has been ripped to pieces by actual experts who don't have an axe to grind.
That will be my mindset while the bairn is getting a kiss off flipper.

I wonder if there is a dolphin internet forum somewhere with several boring threads discussing trainers.

What's with Melissa blowing that f***ing whistle all the time. I'd stick it up her hoop. Not the one's we have to f***ing jump through either. LOL

maybe not anymore. Seaworld was a stepping stone to get us from "nobody gives a fuck" to "we get it, we'll stop being shit-heads, now let the dolphins go".

The mixing of education with entertainment was necessary. Not anymore.
You do realise that Seaworld is in America. Most visitors are American, therefore thick as shit. They have metal detectors at the gates to stop them taking in their guns to hunt.

Reactions: PTR
maybe not anymore. Seaworld was a stepping stone to get us from "nobody gives a fuck" to "we get it, we'll stop being shit-heads, now let the dolphins go".

The mixing of education with entertainment was necessary. Not anymore.

It's another money making Corporation.

I know. I've read a book!!! Not sure I can keep eating industrially produced flesh. Line caught cod and stuff, I'm fine with.

Eggs might be an issue.

Last edited:
Where does the SMB stand on this ethical conundrum?
We talking about that bloke in Whitley bay or wherever he was ?

Not being funny but don't see the point tbh.
There's a list of stuff we're supposed to be in awe of from looking at the Taj mahal to the Mona lisa and whale spotting.

I believe we got here by that being my assertion that seaworlds existence was a necessary evil due to the funding it brings it, and that sentence showing fairly obviously that people would disagree strongly with the idea they should pay with no reward, that they were happy to whine about the seaworld but would not do so if they had to offer an alternative itself, followed by your assertion that all marine rescue and research operations were useless followed by mine that they were in fact useful.
Don't get it, its "critical" we learn about other animals so we can stick our noses into their existence when they've done and are doing fine without it?

Last edited:
You do realise that Seaworld is in America. Most visitors are American, therefore thick as shit. They have metal detectors at the gates to stop them taking in their guns to hunt.
Hence why it was needed. Imagine how much of a shit they gave in the 70's.
They only just about care (on average) today.

Bought a swim sesh with dolphins for the missus on her 40th birthday. Didn't feel very comfortable doing because of the ethical and moral implications but I was 'rewarded' very well later that evening.

Alternatively, the next week, a pod of dolphins came alongside and raced the little boat we were on coming back from Tabarca Island towards Santa Pola.
Natural habitat, playing in the wake, genuine awe and wonder from all onboard - never ever forget it. Wonderful.

I feel quite emotional just writing about it, actually.

The keepers do look after them as best they can within the environment provided. Whether they should ever be in that environment in the first place is another argument.

Seaworld is no different to any other zoo except that it's marine animals. Do you think the cages that lions, tigers, gorillas etc are kept in provide a natural habitat.?

Until mankind stops destroying the wild places on the planet, zoos are a necessary evil to keep SOME species alive. The only way the planet will ever stand a chance to recover is if some plague wipes out most of humanity.

I don't like zoos either, but the likes of sea world are even worse. You only need to look at the big differences in health and behavioural patterns between captive orcas and wild orcas to see that there is something very wrong.

And numerous ex employees have come out on record to criticise conditions and practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back