Swimming the Channel

Finished a few hours ago in 16 hours 49 minutes. Amazing and exhausting for everyone involved!

There's a longer version but I'm too knackered at the moment, but suffice to say that threw some major obstacles in her way that required every inch of guts to get through. Madness

Finished a few hours ago in 16 hours 49 minutes. Amazing and exhausting for everyone involved!

There's a longer version but I'm too knackered at the moment, but suffice to say that threw some major obstacles in her way that required every inch of guts to get through. Madness
Tell your Mrs well done mate, that’s fab, you’ll have to let me know what’s involved. Bet she’s buzzing, amazing achievement,

Congratulations to her.

I am curious about what motivated her to do this in the first place? (I’m admittedly someone whose idea of “swimming” extends only as far as being in a pool in Spain with a beer, so absolutely nothing about her achievement or what she’s had to go through to take even take a plunge in the Channel in the first place sounds remotely fun to me :lol:)

pure madness (i was working on my swimming from August till lockdown for a iron man race) and just pure respect for the effort that’s went into that!!! 17hours in the water ha

Total respect,two laps of the pool and i am fucked,do you mind telling me her motivation,was it a charity fundraising event or just something she always hankered to do?

Total respect,two laps of the pool and i am fucked,do you mind telling me her motivation,was it a charity fundraising event or just something she always hankered to do?
Congratulations to her.

I am curious about what motivated her to do this in the first place? (I’m admittedly someone whose idea of “swimming” extends only as far as being in a pool in Spain with a beer, so absolutely nothing about her achievement or what she’s had to go through to take even take a plunge in the Channel in the first place sounds remotely fun to me :lol:)
Thanks lads, recovering today. She did a relay with 5 other people a couple of years ago and just really wanted it as a challenge. She is doing it for charity but that's not the reason.
Tell your Mrs well done mate, that’s fab, you’ll have to let me know what’s involved. Bet she’s buzzing, amazing achievement,
What's involved? A f***ing lot of training, a really good pilot you trust, a great crew and a well tested feeding schedule. Amongst other things!

Last edited:
Thanks lads, recovering today. She did a relay with 5 other people a couple of years ago and just really wanted it as a challenge. She is doing it for charity but that's not the reason.

What's involved? A f***ing lot of training, a really good pilot you trust, a great crew and a well tested feeding schedule. Amongst other things!
Again mate, utmost respect to everyone involved, enjoy the moment 👍

Don’t you have to book a slot a year in advance or something
Honestly mate, it's actually quite a few years now. Next year is going to be carnage with swims pushed from this year due to COVID.

But you book with registered pilots and their boat rather than any centralised authority, so it depends on who is on their books. That said, you want to find a good one, and naturally they're the ones that have more on their books than others.

On a completely unrelated note, there was a relay out today with the boat our lass went with and they got about 500m from France. Weather turned, making their landing too dangerous and the swim was aborted. Imagine that.

Stuff like that isn't all that unusual as well.

Honestly mate, it's actually quite a few years now. Next year is going to be carnage with swims pushed from this year due to COVID.

But you book with registered pilots and their boat rather than any centralised authority, so it depends on who is on their books. That said, you want to find a good one, and naturally they're the ones that have more on their books than others.

On a completely unrelated note, there was a relay out today with the boat our lass went with and they got about 500m from France. Weather turned, making their landing too dangerous and the swim was aborted. Imagine that.

I wouldn't abort.

I wouldn't abort.
Easy to say, but if you're tired, cold and bewildered and your pilot needs to move further out, a rib can't guide you in and pick you up and/or there's a risk of you being pulled into Calais harbour in the path of ferries then you'll do what you're told and rightly so

Yes, my nieces fella has just had his put back a month or so ago.
Gutted for him as he's been training so hard since early this year. Hopefully he will get a chance to do it next year.

Yes, my nieces fella has just had his put back a month or so ago.
Gutted for him as he's been training so hard since early this year. Hopefully he will get a chance to do it next year.
Same happened to the missus last year mate, it's devastating. It's the mental preparation as much more than the physical really. Also what people don't realise is that that's their spot now gone, they're pushed to the following year but they have to get lucky and either hope someone has to cancel or be crammed in around the other swimmers - you go from having a rough window to target to having to focus on everything and nothing.

It's honestly one of the most ridiculously tough challenges anyone can do and it's very little to do with the physical demands. Tbh it was tough on me and I was just the support crew!!

Fingers crossed for him though, I'm sure he'll get a slot next year and give it his all

Back