Sweden

Except that they are in relation to comparable Scandinavian countries.
Love how people who are determined to criticise Sweden only want to compare them to other Scandinavian countries. Does Covid-19 acknowledge the strong historical, cultural, and linguistic ties of the three kingdoms? Why can't we compare Sweden to the rest of Europe (or Northern Europe even)? Anyone want to comment on this basis?

Love how people who are determined to criticise Sweden only want to compare them to other Scandinavian countries. Does Covid-19 acknowledge the strong historical, cultural, and linguistic ties of the three kingdoms? Why can't we compare Sweden to the rest of Europe (or Northern Europe even)? Anyone want to comment on this basis?

Maybes because we've handled it so shit it's better to compare to a country that didn't do anywhere near what we did and currently don't seem to be any worse off.
Well if it makes any sense to, it doesn't to me but if it makes some feel better about the situation fair do's.

And yet we are told you can't compare the UK to New Zealand.

Except that they are in relation to comparable Scandinavian countries.

But we were told we'd have 500,000 deaths here if we did not lockdown and if you apply that same modelling to Sweden it would be far higher (70k has been mentioned) than the 5.5k deaths they have sadly faced with no lockdown, no masks, no business/pubs/restaurant closures, that's the point?

But we were told we'd have 500,000 deaths here if we did not lockdown and if you apply that same modelling to Sweden it would be far higher (70k has been mentioned) than the 5.5k deaths they have sadly faced with no lockdown, no masks, no business/pubs/restaurant closures, that's the point?
Sweden haven't done nothing though and to suggest they've carried on as normal is wrong.

Anders Tegnell says his modelling indicates that, on average, Swedes have around 30% of the social interactions they did prior to the pandemic.

Their death rate is higher than countries with strict lockdowns but lower than if they really hadn't changed their behaviour. Exactly what you would expect.

Sweden haven't done nothing though and to suggest they've carried on as normal is wrong.

Anders Tegnell says his modelling indicates that, on average, Swedes have around 30% of the social interactions they did prior to the pandemic.

Their death rate is higher than countries with strict lockdowns but lower than if they really hadn't changed their behaviour. Exactly what you would expect.

:lol: Are you forgetting the months when we couldn't even meet family & were locked down with 1 hours exercise & no gatherings (whilst Sweden had a 30 gathering rule), sorry Sweden played it correctly and kept everything open and protected the vulnerable and got on with it in a sensible fashion.

In fairness that 500k estimate is not too wide if the mark.
So far uk has had c 8% have infection resulting in c £45k deaths. The 500k deaths was based on 80% of population getting infected......

:lol: Are you forgetting the months when we couldn't even meet family & were locked down with 1 hours exercise & no gatherings (whilst Sweden had a 30 gathering rule), sorry Sweden played it correctly and kept everything open and protected the vulnerable and got on with it in a sensible fashion.
They didn't. Their care home record is abysmal.

BBC News - Coronavirus: What's going wrong in Sweden's care homes?

Sweden is mirroring our Care home situation and others in Europe and America. But let us be realistic about it these are already very unwell and needy people more or less in their final stages of life. They also account by far of the largest percentage od global Covid Deaths.

Thats the main thing us and the swedes got wrong.
The difference is that anders tegnell owned up and apologised and admitted they got that wrong.
I haven't heard anything from hancock
Like us , I think more than 50% of covid deaths are from those in care homes.

What is your actual argument, Sweden didn’t have as strict a lockdown as we did, they have had a high rate of deaths but not as high as ours and are currently seeing low death rates.
Thats the main thing us and the swedes got wrong.
The difference is that anders tegnell owned up and apologised and admitted they got that wrong.
I haven't heard anything from hancock
Like us , I think more than 50% of covid deaths are from those in care homes.

I’ve no idea what the argument actually is, do you?

In fairness that 500k estimate is not too wide if the mark.
So far uk has had c 8% have infection resulting in c £45k deaths. The 500k deaths was based on 80% of population getting infected......

That 8% is just a random figure though given that for several months only those admitted to hospital were tested.

I don't think everything Sweden have done is wrong. I believe there is some benefit to having rules that don't chop and change all the time but the counter to that is if things get bad some interventions have to be made. I don't subscribe to the narrative that they've completely cracked the secret of how to to manage the pandemic successfully.
Another posters ascertion that they protected the vulnerable though is laughable.

The headline is factual but at the same time quite misleading - their death count for the last 3 months or so has been incredibly low (rolling average is approx 2 a day) and as of yet, shows no sign of rising.

Does that mean they are approaching herd immunity I wonder?

Back