Swans vs toy boats in Roker Park

Can't see the problem.
Killingworth Lake is full of swans and Canada geese, also has a couple of man made islands. Doesn't stop the boaters racing around at all.
As long as they aren't being told they can't use the lake, it's just a whinge.

Already absolutely thick of swans that.

Poor fella’s obviously been forced away from that lake and now people want to ruin his new hang out spot!
He will have a big roll top bath in herra to play in...

A dont like swans but prefer them over grown men who play with toys...
Haway the swans

Can't see the problem.
Killingworth Lake is full of swans and Canada geese, also has a couple of man made islands. Doesn't stop the boaters racing around at all.
As long as they aren't being told they can't use the lake, it's just a whinge.
Exactly..people with nowt else to moan about..they could sail their boats round the island and pretend it’s a secret nazi base or a mysterious island occupied by an evil genius intent on world domination.

Often see links to the local news website of the Sunderland Echo on here and wish there was a way for local people to easily access local news stories

Looking at Facebook, the argument is it was a man made structure to be a model boat lake 100 years ago or more. There probably better places to house swans than a man made lake.

I’m no lake expert like.

I'm not sure they should do anything to encourage swans to stay on that shitty pond.

They should be up Herrington Park. The boater bloke from Herrington should drop them up.

There was never anything living on Roker park pond when I was a lad. All birds got pelted with stones or pebbles out of a catty.
kids were so much worse in the 70s/80s
We used to swim in it and paddle inflatable dingies in it when it was clean in the early 80’s. It used to get really busy.

I'm not sure they should do anything to encourage swans to stay on that shitty pond.

They should be up Herrington Park. The boater bloke from Herrington should drop them up.

They absolutely whizz around that lake with some crazily fast boats and it doesn't seem to bother any of the nesting birds. I'm minded to agree with the blokes protesting this: the fact that the swan had a clutch of just one egg and the cygnet died suggests its more likely down to the state of the pond/lake rather than the boats pootling round. Encouraging it back only to meet further disappointment would be cruel.

Back