Suspicious circumstances at Wigan

Imagine if Wigan win enough games to avoid the drop even with a deduction 😂 they aren’t far away

They are one of the form teams of the division as well. You would think that it will further galvanise the players even more.

Obviously the people who now own them aren't very clever. They must have thought they have bout a team in the HKFA 1st Division where I'm sure sportsmanship is rife.

Dave Whelan was in trouble for calling the Chinese "chinks and chingalings" a few years ago. He also said the Jews chase money more than anyone else while he was on his soapbox
It would be funny if somebody in the Far East took offence at his comments and planned this for 6 years - "The revenge of the chingalings"

Dave Whelan was in trouble for calling the Chinese "chinks and chingalings" a few years ago. He also said the Jews chase money more than anyone else while he was on his soapbox
It would be funny if somebody in the Far East took offence at his comments and planned this for 6 years - "The revenge of the chingalings"

At the time I spoke to the Chinese and the Jewish lads at the cricket club and they had no issue with Whelan's comments tbf.

It is extremely dodgy.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm pro SD et al but it does go to show, there are actually far worse owners despite what many on here would have you believe. Personally I think SD knows that too and still has the integrity to avoid selling to one them.

It is extremely dodgy.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm pro SD et al but it does go to show, there are actually far worse owners despite what many on here would have you believe. Personally I think SD knows that too and still has the integrity to avoid selling to one them.

Stewart Donald and integrity don’t go together in the same sentence sadly.

Last edited:
The whole fit and proper person test, and wider than that the whole EFL, is totally unfit for purpose.

Loads of teams have been victims of that. We have been, so have many others.

I've always thought that there should be a form of licencing / franchise system. If a team gets into trouble, through bad ownership (like Bury or Blackpool or us, if we really have been giving 20% stakes out in return for £1 and a bit of short term cashflow to get through the test), the EFL could withdraw the licence to run, say, Wigan Athletic, and hand that to someone else. It could also be used in the case of dodgy dealings like Jim Rodwell at Boston.

That removes any incentive for anyone to run a football club into the ground.

By separating shady businessmen from historic football clubs (or at least putting in a line of defence), I think the game would be in a far stronger position.

There’s some on here seem to think a bloke may have walked into a betting shop in Hong Kong and filled a slip in with £20,000,000 on Wigan to go down! The Far East betting markets are notoriously complex and corrupt organisations with wagers spread across numerous world markets to avoid detection and suspicion. There’s still a time lag between over there and over here with regards live football, hence why spotters are still seen at grounds in the UK, relaying information back home for organisations to lump huge bets on across numerous markets - the rewards are massive. There was a good programme featuring a bloke who does tennis matches all over the world, sitting in the stands to relay winning points back home before the umpire has the chance to register the point on his computer.

With regards the consortium who own Wigan losing their money if the club go into administration just to win a bet. Don’t be fooled into thinking this, they’ll have that covered by being the main creditors. Steve Dale at Bury, his son was the club’s main creditor so they stood to make a fortune if and when the club went into administration, bizarrely enough it was in their interests for the club in which he’d invested money were to go into administration. It’s a complex and murky industry these days is football.

There’s some on here seem to think a bloke may have walked into a betting shop in Hong Kong and filled a slip in with £20,000,000 on Wigan to go down! The Far East betting markets are notoriously complex and corrupt organisations with wagers spread across numerous world markets to avoid detection and suspicion. There’s still a time lag between over there and over here with regards live football, hence why spotters are still seen at grounds in the UK, relaying information back home for organisations to lump huge bets on across numerous markets - the rewards are massive. There was a good programme featuring a bloke who does tennis matches all over the world, sitting in the stands to relay winning points back home before the umpire has the chance to register the point on his computer.

With regards the consortium who own Wigan losing their money if the club go into administration just to win a bet. Don’t be fooled into thinking this, they’ll have that covered by being the main creditors. Steve Dale at Bury, his son was the club’s main creditor so they stood to make a fortune if and when the club went into administration, bizarrely enough it was in their interests for the club in which he’d invested money were to go into administration. It’s a complex and murky industry these days is football.

Did it online iirc. Username StannyChoi01

I thought it was suggested that any points deduction was past the cutoff for this season though and would apply for next season instead - is that not right now? Clearly dodgy goings on but it puts a spanner in the betting conspiracy if the deduction is next season.

Football’s disgusting these days, it’s not the same game I started watching and fell in love with 35 years ago. I’m still a fan of the sport but I hate everything within it. It’s overran with greed, cheats, parasites and imbeciles. I've never known authorities being as unwilling for improvement as I have with football’s hierarchy. They’ve had numerous chances to clean the game up, increase transparency and it remains the only sport to openly condone cheating, totally unwilling to do anything about it. Sadly, most of football’s shortcomings are now that ingrained in the game they are here to stay.
I thought it was suggested that any points deduction was past the cutoff for this season though and would apply for next season instead - is that not right now? Clearly dodgy goings on but it puts a spanner in the betting conspiracy if the deduction is next season.

It will only apply next season if Wigan are already relegated without a points deduction this season.

Last edited:
Depends on how much they have on. Wigan were around 8/1 for the drop at the start or the season.
At the start of the season? They were nowhere near that long surely?
Started around 4-1 on Betfair, peaked up to 40's for a couple of times but been low for quite a while now as they've been in the relegation places up until the 35th game. Looking at more recently, they've been hovering around 2 (evens).

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/market/1.159596615

Logon or register to see this image

They beat WBA away and drew at home with Luton to get 2 points above relegation on March 7th before the season was suspended. They'd got 10 points in the 4 games since it resumed but going to lose today as currently 3-0 down away to Brentford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Wigan_Athletic_F.C._season#Results_summary

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/07-march-2020/

Last edited by a moderator:

Great post. Scary stuff.

When the extent of our problems are largely a few debatable player purchases and sales and managerial appointments, you would hope that some are measured in the criticism of our ownership, because there's a lot worse out there.

Always thought Whelan appeared a man with more than a modicum of integrity. I know he is knocking on but I'd also love him to grit his teeth in true northern fashion on this shambles.

I can’t see him letting this one go , he invested huge amount of cash/time into Wigan , he will see this as a challenge and not the type of bloke to lose many

Back