Suspicious circumstances at Wigan

Would the company the bet is placed with, assuming it's a multi million pound bet with 10x the amount as a pay out, not be highly interested in this as the bet itself would be void if they can prove collusion?

Seems too absurd to be real. They buy a football club for £20/30/40 million , to throw that money away, to win a bet? How much are they expecting back off this bet like?
I doubt it was a single bet. Spread betting is rife in Asia.

Would the company the bet is placed with, assuming it's a multi million pound bet with 10x the amount as a pay out, not be highly interested in this as the bet itself would be void if they can prove collusion?

Seems too absurd to be real. They buy a football club for £20/30/40 million , to throw that money away, to win a bet? How much are they expecting back off this bet like?
I understood the allegation to be that the company the bet is placed with is party to the collusion. Every chance I'm wrong mind, I found it bloody tough to follow.

I wonder if it is more about money laundering than profiteering. Very slack and careless of them if so mind.

I understood the allegation to be that the company the bet is placed with is party to the collusion. Every chance I'm wrong mind, I found it bloody tough to follow.

I wonder if it is more about money laundering than profiteering. Very slack and careless of them if so mind.

How much are they laundering though ? Surely there is easier and cheaper ways to launder money that to buy, and throw away, a £40m football club for nowt, just to place bets on? It sounds absurd

I'm not doubting for one second that something extremely dodgy hasn't gone on. This thing just doesn't seem to add up
I doubt it was a single bet. Spread betting is rife in Asia.

But won't the bookie's who have that bet on not just legally be able to simply not pay out due to this ?
Depends on how much they have on. Wigan were around 8/1 for the drop at the start or the season.
Even still they must have £20 or £30 million to make it worthwhile

Last edited:
How much are they laundering though ? Surely there is easier and cheaper ways to launder money that to buy, and throw away, a £40m football club for nowt, just to place bets on? It sounds absurd

I'm not doubting for one second that something extremely dodgy hasn't gone on. This thing just doesn't seem to add up

But won't the bookie's who have that bet on not just legally be able to simply not pay out due to this ?

Even still they must have £20 or £30 million to make it worthwhile
Aye, you're right, I can't see the sense in that.

This. What kind of idiot bookie would take a 7 or 8 figure bet on a second tier team getting relegated on the other side of the world, and from the bloke who owns them?

It stinks to high heaven. I've had Leeds fans round here insisting that the EFL have screwed them over time and again and, having seen the shambles of the PPG outcome for Leagues One & Two and now this, you can see why their decision-making and governance gets such scrutiny.

It might be that a combination of Covid and stories emerging from the far-east are the perfect storm that exposes all kinds of dodginess at this level of football. The government need to take control of this and bloody quickly.

Id love us to have the appetite to own our club now and remove the risk of tossers with no connection buying us, stinks.

It stinks to high heaven. I've had Leeds fans round here insisting that the EFL have screwed them over time and again and, having seen the shambles of the PPG outcome for Leagues One & Two and now this, you can see why their decision-making and governance gets such scrutiny.

It might be that a combination of Covid and stories emerging from the far-east are the perfect storm that exposes all kinds of dodginess at this level of football. The government need to take control of this and bloody quickly.

Guaranteed to remove any possibility of corruption or idiotic decision making.
Jenrick for Sports Minister?

@mods - delete the thread I started. Anyone know what the odds on Wigan going down were at the start of restart? Or the spread on points.

Proof EFL are shite. Our own problems highlight it further with the dodgy purchase
I said this on another thread. It isn't the PL, UEFA, Sugar Daddies or millionaire footballers killing the game. It's small time businessmen thinking they are Gordon Greco or Alan Sugar. No love for the game but a love of money and ego. When they realize football isn't a business and a lot harder to run they'll cut their losses. But the worrying thing is, the EFL must know this!

Last edited:

Back