Suspected torn tendon in shoulder

fyl2u

Striker
Anyone had this (or recognise these symptoms)?

At some point more than a year ago I was in bed trying to sleep lying on my side, when I rolled further forward onto my arm and heard/felt a tearing sensation. Since then I've had highly restricted movement in that arm, with certain movements giving a lot of pain: I can't cross my arms, scratch my back, lift my arm sideways with my palm facing upwards, or put on a coat if I try to put the other arm in first.

I thought it'd probably get better on its own but it's been a LONG time now and it's still no better.

The doc just gave me a couple of steroid/anaesthetic injections. Hopefully that'll sort it.

At some point more than a year ago I was in bed trying to sleep lying on my side, when I rolled further forward onto my arm and heard/felt a tearing sensation. Since then I've had highly restricted movement in that arm, with certain movements giving a lot of pain: I can't cross my arms, scratch my back, lift my arm sideways with my palm facing upwards, or put on a coat if I try to put the other arm in first.

I thought it'd probably get better on its own but it's been a LONG time now and it's still no better.

The doc just gave me a couple of steroid/anaesthetic injections. Hopefully that'll sort it.
Sounds like you've torn something in the rotator cuff. Wouldn't bet on it getting better without physio prescribed flex and strengthening exercise . It needs to heal but too much immobility will just freeze it up

Yes, have been going through it since December last year. Diagnosed by a physio after a 2 minute assessment as a "pulled tendon somewhere near your shoulder, do these exercises and leave me alone". Not healing well at all and I'm waiting for a call back off the same physio end of the month. Symptoms aren't quite as severe as yours, but my job involves a lot of manual handling and its very painful sometimes. I'm also a side sleeper and keep rolling onto the bad shoulder and waking up with the pain.

On a side note I got 2 cortisone injections for plantar fasciitis in my feet last year too (pulled tendon from ball of foot to ankle) and it worked a treat.

Last edited:

Do you think it could be the infraspinatus, if you were to have a look at an anatomy picture on google?
Side sleepers regularly crank themselves in to an externally rotated shoulder position. If you don't have good shoulder mobility/strength, I wouldn't be shocked if you've damaged the infraspinatus or teres minor by getting too far in to this position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it could be the infraspinatus, if you were to have a look at an anatomy picture on google?
Side sleepers regularly crank themselves in to an externally rotated shoulder position. If you don't have good shoulder mobility/strength, I wouldn't be shocked if you've damaged the infraspinatus or teres minor by getting too far in to this position.
All to do with weakness in that general group not pinning the shoulder blade back . Most of the rehab exercises seem to demand you pull the scapula in while using arm rotation .
Unbelievable how gentle you have to start . I was using lightest bands or 1k dumbbell . Worked though .

All to do with weakness in that general group not pinning the shoulder blade back . Most of the rehab exercises seem to demand you pull the scapula in while using arm rotation .
Unbelievable how gentle you have to start . I was using lightest bands or 1k dumbbell . Worked though .

Without knowing too much about the OP and speaking generally, a lot of people are very internally rotated at the shoulders. Quite a few things can contribute to it, but generally you'll see a very tight thoracic spine, tight pecs and a really shit ability to move the scapula independent from the rib cage (easiest way to observe this is to watch those who meet the previous criteria try to get their hands in an overhead position, there'll be a big rise in the whole diaphragm to let them do it.

Unfortunately with all this, it puts a lot of stress on the rotator cuff. So instances where somebody is for example lying on their side with a pillow between their head and hand or similar, they're putting themselves in an externally rotated position under load when they have internally rotated and poor capacity to externally rotate, for extended periods of time.

Without knowing too much about the OP and speaking generally, a lot of people are very internally rotated at the shoulders. Quite a few things can contribute to it, but generally you'll see a very tight thoracic spine, tight pecs and a really shit ability to move the scapula independent from the rib cage (easiest way to observe this is to watch those who meet the previous criteria try to get their hands in an overhead position, there'll be a big rise in the whole diaphragm to let them do it.

Unfortunately with all this, it puts a lot of stress on the rotator cuff. So instances where somebody is for example lying on their side with a pillow between their head and hand or similar, they're putting themselves in an externally rotated position under load when they have internally rotated and poor capacity to externally rotate, for extended periods of time.
Yeah that's me to an extent. Overworked my pecs on bench pressing and did a lot of straight karate punching while locking the shoulder down

Back